Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 05:04 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,846 times

Advertisements

Not surprised in the least bit - I believe the Seattle soda tax is among the highest (if not the highest) of it's kind in the nation.

At this point, it's painfully obvious that it's about the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 06:04 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Well, naysayers predicted a significant drop in consumption and loss of jobs due to the tax. That has not happened. Maybe consumption dropped in restaurants, but not through grocery stores or across the board. Now, it might be that consumers are less price-sensitive here than, say, in Philadelphia, where sales fell 55% following the application of a 1.5 cent tax (Seattle's is 1.75 cents) per fluid ounce on sugary soda drinks.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:29 PM

545 posts, read 411,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Yes clearly it’s up to the all-knowing benevolent government to tell us what we may or may not do...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Good riddance to this dreadful city.

Too bad there isn't a tax on internet trolling.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
It’s too early to tell if there will be job losses. I didn’t find the amount of money collected surprising. Those that like soda and can afford it will just pay the tax, and provide all that tax revenue. Those that cannot afford it can go to White Center or Shoreline and stock up.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:28 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuba View Post
Too bad there isn't a tax on internet trolling.
you nutty lefties would tax your own birth mother out of her home if your true mommy told you to

Old 07-09-2018, 08:03 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Bye bye, Rotse. Are you sure that Portland will be less dreadful? Out of the frying pan, into the fire? I guess we'll find out via the Portland forum, after you get settled in, in your new place.
Who lives in Portland? My parents live there. I don't.. I live in the South, the grand state of North Carolina (aka North Cackalacky).

Seattle is a nanny state and the city council's nazi control mentality will eventually backfire as everyone flees this cesspool of a city for cooler, friendlier, more affordable and booming cities like Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Tampa and other cities that are rising and attracting younger, fresher minds and are affordable, safe, cleaner, friendlier and people can live as adults without a constant police state goverrnment dictating everything they do with their bodies and how they live every aspect of their lives.

One thing that intrigued me about Charlotte was how much cleaner it is, less homeless and the streets don't smell like urine and human waste with garbage everywhere. But, ofcourse, the city council must declare war on sugared beverages to save the people while people are dying from heroin overdoses in the alley ways and the city is turning into a human toilet.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:20 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Who lives in Portland? My parents live there. I don't.. I live in the South, the grand state of North Carolina (aka North Cackalacky).

Seattle is a nanny state and the city council's nazi control mentality will eventually backfire as everyone flees this cesspool of a city for cooler, friendlier, more affordable and booming cities like Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Tampa and other cities that are rising and attracting younger, fresher minds and are affordable, safe, cleaner, friendlier and people can live as adults without a constant police state goverrnment dictating everything they do with their bodies and how they live every aspect of their lives.

One thing that intrigued me about Charlotte was how much cleaner it is, less homeless and the streets don't smell like urine and human waste with garbage everywhere. But, ofcourse, the city council must declare war on sugared beverages to save the people while people are dying from heroin overdoses in the alley ways and the city is turning into a human toilet.
You live in NC, now? Well, I'm sure you'll enjoy the voter suppression they're famous for, in the next Prez. elections. But why are you still posting in the Seattle forum? You promised us you'd abandon the Seattle forum, once you abandon the state. Are you moving in stages? Or is this just your farewell volley?

Old 07-09-2018, 08:38 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,450 times
Can we enact a tax on RotseCherut posts?

Good god. I've never seen somebody so desperate to vilify a place.

Sorry it didn't work for you, big guy. Can the rest of us enjoy living here without your rants now that you're on the idyllic Atlantic coast? I promise we won't weigh in when the problems there become apparent to you.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
Wow, people hate free speech and opinions that are contrary to their own.. Whoops, forgot who was talking to.. Seattle people..

Ok, I will just shut up and everyone can celebrate and revel about how great the Seattle soda tax has been for the city and how great it is that the city has saved people from their sins of excessive soda drinking.. In the meantime, kids are pickiing up needles in parks and drug addiction is rampant.

Yeah, maybe the Seattle city council can put a tax on free speech like mine..Certainly, I would not put it past them to make a Speech tax, as contrary opinions to those of the Seattle ultra left wing liberal majority will cause great agony, stress , emotional trauma which will result in these ultra liberal pseudo progressives requiring more medical care and needing larger amounts of anti depressants.

Oh by the way, it was 92F and sun was shining today..i was loving it today..They air condition homes and businesses here

People smile here a lot.. Seattle people, maybe its all that soda you drink that makes you frown so much Thank G-d for the soda tax..

And, don't worry about me posting much here.. I finally just got done with a rigrous cross country journey .. I just wanted to send my greetings here from North Carolina to all my former neighbors

Last edited by RotseCherut; 07-09-2018 at 09:04 PM..

Old 07-09-2018, 09:18 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,678 times
Quote:
Wow, people hate free speech and opinions that are contrary to their own.. Whoops, forgot who was talking to.. Seattle people..

Ok, I will just shut up and everyone can celebrate and revel about how great the Seattle soda tax has been for the city and how great it is that the city has saved people from their sins of excessive soda drinking.. In the meantime, kids are pickiing up needles in parks and drug addiction is rampant.

Yeah, maybe the Seattle city council can put a tax on free speech like mine..Certainly, I would not put it past them to make a Speech tax, as contrary opinions to those of the Seattle ultra left wing liberal majority will cause great agony, stress , emotional trauma which will result in these ultra liberal pseudo progressives requiring more medical care and needing larger amounts of anti depressants.

Oh by the way, it was 92F and sun was shining today..i was loving it today..They air condition homes and businesses here

People smile here a lot.. Seattle people, maybe its all that soda you drink that makes you frown so much Thank G-d for the soda tax..

And, don't worry about me posting much here.. I finally just got done with a rigrous cross country journey .. I just wanted to send my greetings here from North Carolina to all my former neighbors
Amen brother, free speech in Seattle is a major no-no.

Glad you’re liking the southern hospitality, hope NC works out well for you, lots of great people , scenery, weather, and FOOD for days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area