Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 09:40 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times

Advertisements

Although I will have a rental car I prefer not to drive around the city especially as I am barely familiar with it.

I'd much prefer to ride around in a bus or light rail relaxed and look out the window.

I know there are some all-day passes but know little detail.

Which form of public transportation do you recommend .. and why? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 09:58 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Tell us what your interests are and we'll tell you the best options. Buses are pretty fast and good all over Central Seattle. Lime Bikes are all over too to rent, just take your own helmet.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:08 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
In addition to homes' questions, how long will you be here? Here are some links that might help as far as costs:

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/fares/pd...y-pass-faq.pdf
https://www.soundtransit.org/sites/d...oduct_list.pdf
https://seattletransitblog.com/seattle-for-visitors/

Old 07-25-2018, 10:16 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times
I like old neighborhoods and old buildings "bad' neighborhoods are often the most interesting in this regard- I like nice views of the water. I woudn't mind seeing the Seattle Center Colosseum if it still exists (see the thread about being an original public shareholder in the Seattle Supersonics)

Thanks

Old 07-26-2018, 05:02 AM

318 posts, read 950,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I like old neighborhoods and old buildings "bad' neighborhoods are often the most interesting in this regard- I like nice views of the water. I woudn't mind seeing the Seattle Center Colosseum if it still exists (see the thread about being an original public shareholder in the Seattle Supersonics)

Thanks
The Coliseum is now known as KeyArena. It's still there but it was renovated in 1996 and will likely be renovated again in the near future.

For your travels, I'd recommend getting an ORCA regional day pass: https://kingcounty.gov/depts/transpo...at-to-pay.aspx

If you're not terribly familiar with the bus system, you can stick with the high-capacity lines (Link, RapidRide). You can get to a lot of places this way: Capitol Hill, University District, Ballard, West Seattle, Columbia City, etc.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:13 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
If you love old buildings and architecture (I do too), don't miss Smith Tower near Pioneer Square on the south end of Downtown. Loads of history, used to be the biggest building west of the Mississippi River. Also visit the excellent Wing Luke Museum in the International District. The museum chronicles the flow of people from Asian countries to the Pacific Northwest, sensitively addressing horrible topics like the Cambodian genocide and the despicable internment of Japanese Americans during WW2. The other reason I'm high on this place for you. The museum is housed in an old building that used to process Asian immigrants to Seattle. There is a tour where you can see a Chinese grocery store from the 1930s complete with the exact products. There is also an old social/game room with original decor and mahjong table.

Georgetown has old brick buildings that have been revitalized nicely as cafes, coffee shops, funky pinball gallery too. It's also fun to walk around all the gracious founding father mansions on Capitol Hill near Volunteer Park. All of these places are easily reached by bus..

Old 07-26-2018, 12:05 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom View Post
The Coliseum is now known as KeyArena. It's still there but it was renovated in 1996 and will likely be renovated again in the near future.

For your travels, I'd recommend getting an ORCA regional day pass: https://kingcounty.gov/depts/transpo...at-to-pay.aspx

If you're not terribly familiar with the bus system, you can stick with the high-capacity lines (Link, RapidRide). You can get to a lot of places this way: Capitol Hill, University District, Ballard, West Seattle, Columbia City, etc.
Sure, if OP does the above then downloads OneBusAway (or if there are newer/better apps?), should be a breeze navigating around greater Seattle.

As long as the schedule isn't too tight...I've done similar to the above in new-to-me cities a few times. Earlier this week, was in Chicago and figured a way to Wrigley Field this past Tuesday evening for a Cubs game via mass transit, from the outlying suburb I was in. Involved the Blue Line and one bus, plus driving to a CTA Park and Ride to pickup the train. Total cost of parking at the CTA P&R and transit on both bus and train was $18, more than one might think but still likely easier than driving. Took awhile, hour and forty minutes from start point, so pick your poison.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:07 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,334 times
If downtown, I tell anyone with ample time to take the King County water taxi to West Seattle even if only there and immediately back. The Seattle skyline from the water is truly special, and it costs just $4.50. (If you have the ORCA card Regional Day Pass, you will only pay $1 since it covers all fares up to $3.50. I highly recommend the ORCA card.)

From downtown take the Monorail from Westlake Center up to Seattle Center to visit Key Arena and walk around. Faster and more interesting/iconic than walking, though it is a walkable distance. Note that the ORCA card does not work for Monorail which is a private venture and is cash only I believe.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:30 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Take a Grand Tour: Get an ORCA card ($5) at Sea-Tac light rail station and money in the e-purse ($20?) to cover your fares. Use it to pay your fare on light rail to the Downtown station nearest your hotel. (On light-rail, tap your card both when entering and leaving a station; on a bus, only tap when boarding.)

1. Catch a bus going north on Third Avenue and get off at or close to Pike Street. Walk west on Pike to Pike Street Market. Have breakfast at the Athena - ask for a window table. Explore the Market afterwards.

2. Walk east on Pike to Westlake Center and take the Monorail to the Seattle Center ($2.50 - pay cash, ORCA card won't pay for it).

3. At the Seattle Center, you can visit: 1) Space Needle (observation deck), 2) Chihuly Garden and Glass, 3) Pacific Science Center/Boeing IMAX, 4) MoPop (Museum of Pop Culture) aka EMP, 5) Armory, 6) International Fountain, 7) KeyArena.

4. Catch the D-Line on First Ave N (westside of Seattle Center) to Ballard. At 15th Ave NW & NW Market St, catch the #44 trolleybus going west to 32nd Ave NW & NW 54th St (end of the line). Walk one block east to the Chittenden Locks (free). See: Visitor Center, Locks, Fish Ladder, and Botanical Garden. Free scheduled guided walking tours available at the Visitor Center.

5. In front of the Locks, catch the #44 going east. Optional stops along the way: 1) Nordic Museum, 2) Ballard Historical District, 3) Woodland Park Zoo (4 blocks north), 4) Archie McPhee's (novelty/joke store - hilarious), Green Lake (12 blocks north along Stone Way), 5) Gas Works Park (12 blocks south along Wallingford Ave), 6) Dick's Drive-In (burgers, fries, shakes), 7) "The Ave" (University Way - cafes, shops, stores), 8) UW Campus (see: Burke Museum, Henry Art Gallery, Red Square, Drumheller Fountain), 8) Aqua Verde Paddle Club (rent a kayak), 9) UW Light Rail Station, 10) Union Bay Natural Area (east and north of light rail station; rent a canoe at the Waterfront Activities Center).

6) Kitty-corner from UW Light Rail Station, catch the #43 trolleybus going to Capitol Hill. Optional stops: 1) Washington Park Arboretum (walk east on Lake Washington Boulevard), Interlaken Park (walk west on Interlaken Boulevard), Volunteer Park (catch the #10 going north on 15th Ave E), Capitol Hill Light Rail Station. Explore the Broadway and Pike/Pine Corridors.

7) Catch light rail to Downtown and call it a day OR catch the First Hill Streetcar going south on Broadway to First Hill, Central District, Little Saigon, International District, and Pioneer Square. Optional stops: Seattle U campus, Frye Art Museum (free), Wing Luke Museum (ID), Uwajimaya Asian Super Market (ID), Klondike Gold Rush Museum (free, PS), Underground Tour (PS), WSF Ferry Terminal (Waterfront, west of PS).

A CityPass ($89), which will get you into the Space Needle, Seattle Aquarium, Argosy Harbor Cruise, MoPop OR Woodland Park Zoo, and Chihuly Garden & Glass OR Pacific Science Center, can be worth it if visiting many of these attractions, less so if only a few.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 07-26-2018 at 01:44 PM..

Old 07-26-2018, 02:30 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times
If you figure out where you want to visit you might find many venues are walkable or may only need one round trip fare. You might consider the Transit Go Ticket app. You’ll pay regular fares and it’s good for the bus, monorail, streetcar, light rail and water taxi. It does only allow transfers between metro buses. We didn’t want yet another card to carry around and we always have our phones with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area