Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 02:17 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks for all your comments, so far, folks! So, is the verdict, that it's hotter than the online weather sites say it is? Mid-80's through Tues, dropping down to the 70's for the rest of the week? Is that off-base? Accu-weather says it's 66 degrees right now, in the late morning there, and that it was in the high 80's earlier in the week, with 1 day above the 80's (91).

IDK about you guys, but I'd almost kill for mornings in the 60's, even if temps did jump into the mid-80's later.

It has been much hotter than the weather sites say. I've now just resigned myself to it being in the 90s if the forecast says 84+ degrees. I have pictures of my car temps. The hottest was 99 degrees, which I posted on Facebook (my L.A. friends were incredulous). I'd post it here but I'm not sure if we're allowed to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 02:33 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
It has been much hotter than the weather sites say. I've now just resigned myself to it being in the 90s if the forecast says 84+ degrees. I have pictures of my car temps. The hottest was 99 degrees, which I posted on Facebook (my L.A. friends were incredulous). I'd post it here but I'm not sure if we're allowed to do that?
Yea driving through the Issaquah area yesterday and day before on I90 (moving at full speed, so no heat soak from sitting) my car said it was hovering around 95f both days, so definitely hotter than downtown of course, and hotter than forecast

Old 07-28-2018, 03:54 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
They actually said it reads cooler than it should after inspecting it. And this is not something shocking. SeaTac is warmer than a lot of other neighborhoods.

But said it was "within the tolerances the Weather Services requires," or functioning properly.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:00 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Hey, Botev1912, why are you ignoring my explanation for why I was not ignoring you???? Not satisfied? (You called me out twice, after all.)

Old 07-28-2018, 05:56 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post

OK, then. I guess my friend in Sea. is vindicated. That's really tough for people to live through without A/C. He has a basement workshop, and he says it's hot down there, too, at those temps. Just curious, is anyone here running one of those portable indoor A/C units? How well is that working out?

Old 07-28-2018, 07:28 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:

OK, then. I guess my friend in Sea. is vindicated. That's really tough for people to live through without A/C. He has a basement workshop, and he says it's hot down there, too, at those temps. Just curious, is anyone here running one of those portable indoor A/C units? How well is that working out?
I've got a couple of the portables, they work fine. I'm grateful to have it, considering how hot it's been. On the day it hit 92 in Renton, the portable A/C was set at 68, and it seemed comfortable, but I run hot anyway, prefer it 70 or under.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I've got a couple of the portables, they work fine. I'm grateful to have it, considering how hot it's been. On the day it hit 92 in Renton, the portable A/C was set at 68, and it seemed comfortable, but I run hot anyway, prefer it 70 or under.
Thank you, Ira.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:10 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
I've been following the weather in Seattle the last few weeks, to see if there will be any unusual heat waves, like last summer, or if things have settled down to more or less normal. So far so good, pretty much; the rest of this week is expected to be in the mid-80's, which is normal for this time of year, then next week is expected to drop down to the 70's. But a friend in Seattle tells me this week has been in the 90's, and the local news has been saying, that the next 10 days will remain in the 90's.

I figure if that were true, the topic would have come up on our forum...? What's your take on this?
I live in Auburn, my base (workplace, the shop) is in Tacoma and territory where I cover calls is Seattle. I get all over the place you might say.

Greater Seattle is HOT. It's 90+ by 3 pm downtown and in the greater Seattle area. Other places are not so bad especially if you're close to water or in a large park. Downtown Tacoma was actually quite pleasant Thursday.

If you're in downtown Seattle and it's hot take a look around you. Concrete and asphalt everywhere. Reflective glass on a lot of buildings, wind restricted to the canyons made by skyscrapers. Get close to a wall in some places and you can feel the heat radiating from it. Very few green spaces around and what they do have is pathetically small.

I have asked people if the summers have gotten hotter in the last 10 years. Most long time residents remember a much cooler climate in the 1990s and early 2000s. It seems the climate is in a warming trend or getting warmer in general. I'm not going to gripe. I remember a long time ago my daughters complaining about endless summer rain.

The way we're doing things isn't helping either.

We'll survive though.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:18 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
If people are suffering from the heat they need to get out of those apartments and the congested areas. Go to a park, in downtown Tacoma it can be 90, in Pt Defiance in the forest it's 70. Natural AC.

If you can't just get your short wet and wear it.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
If people are suffering from the heat they need to get out of those apartments and the congested areas. Go to a park, in downtown Tacoma it can be 90, in Pt Defiance in the forest it's 70. Natural AC.

If you can't just get your short wet and wear it.
Discovery Park, Lincoln Park, Golden Gardens, possibly? Is it really that much cooler in those places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area