Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2019, 07:55 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
We had our offer accepted @350k. Beautiful home. Best for retirees like us. Have to deal with a ferry.
Where's your home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 05:18 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
I remember hearing a female comedian giving her stereotypes of women in different parts of the country. I only remember what she said about women in Miami and Seattle (and don't remember the comedian's name). She said that women in Miami dress like hookers... i.e., high heels, tight-fitting and revealing dresses, lots of make-up; … and women in Seattle are man-hating Lesbians... they are being the men because the men aren't being men!!!

You hit on my least favorite thing about Washington. I am only attracted to what you call the hooker look and Washington women are as far removed from that look as you can get.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:20 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Quote:
Autistic/aspergers type behavior seems normal here, almost celebrated.
100% true and accurate.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:00 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
Points that have already been discussed....

1. The Seattle area is middle tier-not one of the great cities of the world-and has a moderate level of urban amenities.

2. One thing Seattle has is fabulous natural scenery.

3. Seattle really shines when is comes to outdoors recreation.

One can see why the Seattle area would appeal to a certain breed.

As has been pointed out a number of times, one good way to meet people is to join groups for outdoors recreation-hiking, kayaking, etc.

Which may not be everybody's cup of tea. I can imagine certain male transplants signing up for these groups, and being disappointed because the attending women don't dress like hookers.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:15 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
Which may not be everybody's cup of tea. I can imagine certain male transplants signing up for these groups, and being disappointed because the attending women don't dress like hookers.

Tee-hee. I can just imagine the looks on the guy's faces when they see the joy they're gonna get!

Old 10-07-2019, 01:38 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,583,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
Yeah, pretty much Seattle has become a rich persons town now. Very pretty to visit, but not good for modest earners. I would not recommend it to anyone middle income - it's a hard slog here and you'll deal with a lot more social problems than you would elsewhere. We are slowly becoming life SF - well to do locals and foreigners, and people dependent on social services.

Like most places, if you can afford to live in wealthier neighborhoods insulated from the homeless problem, it's better. (The police leave the homeless to their own devices mostly, but miraculously they never seem to set up camp in the really nice neighborhoods.)

The city attorney has broadcast that they won't charge for shoplifting and drug dealing on the smaller scale, so you can imagine the effect that has on the streets. The cops don't even bother now.
Whew!! Yeah, I thought you were speaking about parts of San Francisco, L.A. or San Diego. It's not like the homeless in Venice, CA is it?
I wouldn't be surprised of social unrest and riots since police are being told to leave shoplifters alone. Leave protesters alone. FYI - Halloween masks, msg apps, and groups of people not making enough money is not a good mix.

I haven't been to Seattle but as someone posted, how could adjacent cities in the burbs be so ugly and inundated with people on drugs & such low income?

Don't companies expand or move to lower cost areas 15-30 miles outside the city to be more cost-effective and for production efficiency?

Old 10-07-2019, 03:11 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
^ What we discovered is that as you move east towards Redmond WA (12-15 miles from dwntwn Seattle), household wealth actually increases and as does the average individual wealth.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:58 PM

104 posts, read 133,426 times
@Iloveblueskies: " Autistic/aspergers type behavior seems normal here, almost celebrated. That’s weird!"

@Charles (from AZ): "100% true and accurate."

I've read these two comments a couple of times now, wanting to ignore them but can't remain silent. I find the statements offensive.

If someone had written "Homosexuality type behavior seems normal here, almost celebrated. That’s weird!", would that have been appropriate? No. It would have been slammed down. People know they will have a hard time getting away with making statements like that, so they look for another marginalized, misunderstood group of humans that don't "fit" what they find as "normal"... Really unkind statements that reflect the ugliness in our society. Statements like these illustrate a lack of intelligence, understanding and compassion.

The individuals in my life who are Autistic / Aspies are the most loving, intelligent, kind-hearted, sensitive people I have ever known. They are a gift. They are not unique to the PNW (what an ignorant assessment!) I wish that more members of our society had their traits - so, yes, I do "celebrate" them. Nothing "weird" about that at all but something deeply lacking in those who feel the need to throw a punch here.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:51 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma4evr View Post
@Iloveblueskies: " Autistic/aspergers type behavior seems normal here, almost celebrated. That’s weird!"

@Charles (from AZ): "100% true and accurate."

I've read these two comments a couple of times now, wanting to ignore them but can't remain silent. I find the statements offensive.

If someone had written "Homosexuality type behavior seems normal here, almost celebrated. That’s weird!", would that have been appropriate? No. It would have been slammed down. People know they will have a hard time getting away with making statements like that, so they look for another marginalized, misunderstood group of humans that don't "fit" what they find as "normal"... Really unkind statements that reflect the ugliness in our society. Statements like these illustrate a lack of intelligence, understanding and compassion.

The individuals in my life who are Autistic / Aspies are the most loving, intelligent, kind-hearted, sensitive people I have ever known. They are a gift. They are not unique to the PNW (what an ignorant assessment!) I wish that more members of our society had their traits - so, yes, I do "celebrate" them. Nothing "weird" about that at all but something deeply lacking in those who feel the need to throw a punch here.
Agreed 100 percent.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:07 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
Me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area