Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 11:45 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times

Advertisements

If one assumes time of first transit boarding.
Son: 15-20 minutes: From 23rd & Yesler/Jackson to 4th & Pike. Using #27 or #14.
Wife: 50-70 minutes: 166th & Redmond Way (redmond) to Son's Place: #245 -> #48. About 40 minutes to Pike Place; ~50 minutes to KingStreet Station
Me: 6.5+ hrs. From Salem Oregon to Redmond. Using Amtrak 5.5 hr -> #545 or #14/27/48/545, ~60 min if I watch the bus arrival.

Last edited by leastprime; 08-05-2018 at 11:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 08:02 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Somewhat to the point, my commute past year is 30 feet, to my home office. But with frequent travel, though not "all the time," 40-60% by actual count. I usually go on Sundays and given remoteness of Seattle, flights to Midwest take awhile often with two hops. East Coast, longer, but direct if to Newark, JFK, etc. How I maximize efficiency flying is/was an art form and series of tweaks to routine, but that is posted to Travel C-D.

I like working from home, it's another thread in W&E C-D if that is more or less frequent anymore for, say, senior and exec level in IT. These days, the teams I work with are scattered to the four corners of the earth, my boss in San Diego, I hardly know a soul in our Seattle office though I may remedy that just for grins. I usually don't have time, the days are really full here from the house.

Were I commuting downtown, as has happened in the not too distant pass, would be: drive to bus from Kirkland (six blocks, parking nearby at zero cost) to downtown, though I hear they'll be dropping us at University soon to keep buses out of that tunnel. Eh, that's a transfer to Link Light Rail then, not a big deal but probably a few more minutes. About 45 min/55 min at current, each way. Company supplies free ORCA passes. Driving downtown to Pioneer Square is a total non-starter, nor is riding (no rational policy in-evidence for motorcycle parking downtown, so I'm little better off).

I've been out of my car for commuting several years, which is a dream come true. Seriously, wish that had been more-possible twenty years ago, but was not. I'd love to never commute again in my X-runner, which btw is not a bad commute vehicle due to tolerable mileage (17mph in mixed traffic), medium size so park-able, and it's a Toyota so mega miles makes little difference: pretty sure I'm at 114K these days.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:23 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
10 minutes. I rent a place near work, figuring it saves me one "work day" per week of extra driving. Time-wise that's equivalent to 20% of my salary, so it more than pays for itself.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:51 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
10 minutes. I rent a place near work, figuring it saves me one "work day" per week of extra driving. Time-wise that's equivalent to 20% of my salary, so it more than pays for itself.
That's a logical and realistic way to look at it.

It's disheartening to see how much time we waste of our lives when commutes get longer than a certain point.

It really is a waste.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:57 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
That's a logical and realistic way to look at it.

It's disheartening to see how much time we waste of our lives when commutes get longer than a certain point.

It really is a waste.
Completely agree. Having traveled around the world, I frequently preach "You don't need as much square footage as you have been socialized in the USA to believe you do". Get rid of unneeded crap, be creative with space, live closer to your work. Life is better that way.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 08-06-2018 at 01:23 PM..

Old 08-06-2018, 01:37 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Completely agree. Having traveled around the world, I frequently preach "You don't need as much square footage as you have been socialized in the USA to believe you do". Get rid of unneeded crap, be creative with space, live closer to your work. Life is better that way.
That implies there's just one person in the family working. If two family members work in different parts of the metro area- either one will have a long commute and one an easy commute, or both will have a moderate but not easy commute.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:38 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
That implies there's just one person in the family working. If two family members work in different parts of the metro area- either one will have a long commute and one an easy commute, or both will have a moderate but not easy commute.
Nope, I didn't mean that at all. With two workplaces, the same principles apply though.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:46 PM

513 posts, read 499,332 times
Capitol Hill to downtown - 20 minutes walk, 15 minutes bus/rail. I work early and the roads are fairly clear then (6am).

Old 08-06-2018, 06:13 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
You could easily cross over to the Metro tunnel, catch pretty much any bus or light rail to Westlake Station, and from there either walk to Seattle Center, or catch the 3, 4, 13 and I forget which other buses go by there, but there are several. Not really all that difficult.
The D-Line, 1, 2, and 13 go along the west side and the 3 and 4 go along the east side of the Seattle Center.

He could walk north from King Street Station three blocks to Prefontaine Pl S & Yesler Way and catch the D-Line (running every 7-10 minutes) directly to the Seattle Center.

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/transpo...aspx#weekday-b

Old 08-06-2018, 10:10 PM

545 posts, read 411,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post

This is my situation. The spouse works in Oly and I in Seattle. So we chose (more or less) halfway between the two, which is Tacoma. Actually halfway would be somewhere around Milton or Federal Way, but I wanted to live in a city setting, so I chose the slightly longer commute for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area