Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 05:38 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,082,890 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I just moved here and I have a question because after everything I've read I'm still not overly convinced on what to do about this. I'm trying to apply for a Washington license (transferring mine from another state), and I meet all the required documents except "proof of residency". My living situation is that I'm staying in Mountlake Terrace with a friend until I find a job in my field and know which area to live in to make my commute as easy as possible, which, if I find one in the area, I may just move in with him permanently. The last two interviews I've had have wanted a WA license number, and obviously, I haven't been able to give them one.

After looking at the only category I'm lacking "proof of residency" in, I've wondered if I could bring in one of his utility bills which matches the address that I pre-applied for my license with. It says they will accept a utility bill, but I'm wondering if it would still work if it isn't in my name, even though it's the matching address. I figure that's decent enough proof but I know the DMV is weird about things no matter where you are, so I didn't know if anyone had any advice on this. If so, feel free to let me know. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 08:45 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times
https://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/moving.html

Old 08-05-2018, 08:51 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,199,977 times
I was never asked any questions about my residency. When I applied for a license at the Renton DMV I handed the lady a copy of my lease and a utility bill and she looked at me like I was crazy. “What am I supposed to do with this?” she asked. “Well, I thought I needed to show that I lived here,” I replied. “No, we don’t care about those documents.” And then she finished processing me without a single question about my residence.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:00 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
OK there is some confusion here. If you had a previous WA driver license, you automatically can get a new one, no questions asked. I think this has to do with the citizenship acceptance from an earlier time.

If you are new to WA, then you simply show proof or residency, as Bluefox did. But my guess, is Bluefox had a previous WA license, or even has been accepted by a valid US license from another State. Correct me if I am wrong.

The process is actually pretty simplified and easy.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:53 PM

102,182 posts, read 107,774,599 times
OP, you may be stuck in a catch-22. The only way out of it, is if your friend puts a bill or two in your name, at least temporarily.

Oddly, the DMV says you only have 30 days to get a WA license after moving to WA. That's strange, to have a limit on it like that. How do they know when you arrived? When does the 30 day countdown start? What if your next utility bill won't arrive for another 20 days, and you've already been here a couple of weeks? If a cop stopped you, and you showed your out-of-state DL, how would he know if you've already been here 30 days & should have a WA DL, or not? Dumb rule.

They say registering to vote will establish residency for DL purposes. But how do you prove residency, in order to register to vote? In any case, you should call the voter registration office to find out.

From the link earlier in the thread:

Quote:
1. Establish residency in WA
You're considered a WA resident when you do any of the following:

Register to vote
Receive state benefits
Receive in-state tuition fees
Get a WA state license at resident rates (Fishing license, hunting license, etc.)

Old 08-05-2018, 11:12 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
No, you don't need all this, if you have a previous WA license.

However, as newcomer, you may be requested to prove residency. That isn't hard, and in fact, as I stated earlier, your previous license may be enough.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:49 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They say registering to vote will establish residency for DL purposes. But how do you prove residency, in order to register to vote?
He doesn't have to. He only needs to go to the Snohomish County Elections Office where he is residing. He only has to declare that he 1) is a U.S. citizen and 2) will be at least 18 by the next election. In lieu of a WA DL, he can provide the last four digits of his SS# (see form in second link).

https://snohomishcountywa.gov/1967/Voter-Registration

https://www.sos.wa.gov/_assets/elect...nglish_web.pdf

Old 08-06-2018, 12:00 AM

13,057 posts, read 7,491,199 times
I think they, employer, asking if you are a legal resident of USA. You are applying for a job locally. Where you are from in the USA is immaterial and if it is material then there are US Constitutional issues for interstate commerce.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
No, you don't need all this, if you have a previous WA license.

However, as newcomer, you may be requested to prove residency. That isn't hard, and in fact, as I stated earlier, your previous license may be enough.
OP has no previous WA DL. He just arrived in WA recently. So he needs to have proof of residency, which can be established by providing any one item on the list quoted.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
He doesn't have to. He only needs to go to the Snohomish County Elections Office where he is residing. He only has to declare that he 1) is a U.S. citizen and 2) will be at least 18 by the next election. In lieu of a WA DL, he can provide the last four digits of his SS# (see form in second link).

https://snohomishcountywa.gov/1967/Voter-Registration

https://www.sos.wa.gov/_assets/elect...nglish_web.pdf
It says one of the requirements to register to vote is to be a legal resident of WA. How does someone who just arrived prove that? Anyone visiting the state temporarily could provide an address, whether fake or that of a friend, to put on that form and register to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area