Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 02:48 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Perhaps because California makes voter fraud very easy. Registration and "identification" are a joke, making it easy for non-citizens, minors, out of state residents, cats and dogs, whoever and whatever, to vote multiple times.

I wonder who Cooper, a golden retriever, supported in 2016? https://www.wnd.com/2013/08/californ...s-dog-to-vote/
Trump won by the absolute narrowest of margins, only 70,000 votes stretched over three states and it's been a dumpster fire ever since. The ultimate was deporting 500 parents without their children, essentially kidnapping them. That really isn't the point though, is it.

The question was are the suburbs less liberal than downtown Seattle and they are, but only slightly. Trump received 36% of the entire state. It makes little sense for a conservative to move to the Seattle metro, knowing full well that they will do nothing but complain once here and this thread is positive proof of that.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:25 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Seattle seems to be increasingly coddling criminals, druggies, and the homeless. Property crime is rising. Taxes are rising.

Are Seattle's suburbs more politically sane? Someone posted that Kirkland's cops don't tolerate vagrants or troublemakers.

I've read that Medina photographs the license plates of cars coming off the freeway into Medina, thus cutting down on burglaries.

Do those cities -- and other suburban areas, like Bainbridge, Mercer, Bellvue, etc. -- have a higher quality of life, and greater safety from crime, than does Seattle?

Do those cities have fewer loony leftists in government, the kind that push for the more radical agendas?
Might have been me (resident of Norkirk, neighborhood north of downtown, about one square mile bounded by the trail on the east and Market St on the west) ...who commented about lack of vagrants in Kirkland. I'll stand by that, in relation to the downtown core anyway.

There was one vagrant/ghoul slinking around yesterday with that ___ -eating grin these people put on when they are "working the streets," I idled over his way to see what BS he was up to as he looked the type to make young women uncomfortable, to say the least. He turned and walked off, fast. I have no time for being hassled by bums in my hometown. Nor do the cops, I (still) strongly suspect.

My anecdotal observation of downtown is that vagrants are moved along, or find services, or otherwise go indoors regularly. Others may have other impressions. I'm out at all hours though not really at night, more early and late-ish, and see very few. Safest place I know to live, but that too is subjective since I'm a huge ogre of a man and brook little ___ from anyone.

Every time I've been to Medina Beach it's been pretty calm, same with Clyde Hill. Not too much "beach" at either, and the former is connected to the Police station, so go figure

My quality of life in Norkirk could be viewed as-follows:

- The "association" politely asks for volunteers in email (which I gave up voluntarily) and fliers. They occasionally go door to door. I have no use for door to door and they haven't been back, but sometimes volunteer via other means. Everyone is pleasant and very suburban in outlook, typical PTA sort of attitude with a number of old biddies, couple Uncle Fudds, and a few working age moms and (very few) men of working age, given most of us work.

- Neighbors are Asians and Whites, by the numbers. Affluence pretty high, median home price a million-one at this time, so as one might guess, not too much hell raising. I don't sense an Indian (national) sub-community here, yet, which is too bad but there is a South Indian restaurant to die-for in a plaza downtown, at least.

- I'm up a bit early for offshore calls today (my career) and watching the dawn soon, it's real quiet and peaceful. That was a huge selling point.

- Really get to know your neighbors, via FB "Groups" and such? Lot of wacko ideas about how the world does (or actually doesn't) really work out there, typical White people "Affluenza" I believe. Mostly funny and I just turn it off.

- cops keep an eye on it, they seem to not be too oppressive. Look at crime maps, draw your own conclusions.

Interestingly, one of the churches (or more?) setup homeless camps in the church parking lot(s) from time to time. Things are pretty quiet there, nestled in multi million dollar homes. The point is pretty clear, though, to get the affluent thinking about it. I respect that they keep it neat and tidy.

So, bottom line: "subjectively," yes Bellevue and Kirkland in particular, two places I know well, are pretty calm compared to vagrancy, petty crime, and other malarkey one often finds in big cities. Check the crime stats, though, for real numbers!

Last edited by Blondebaerde; 08-16-2018 at 07:54 AM..

Old 08-17-2018, 09:54 AM

900 posts, read 375,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You liberals should never have come to Seattle in the first place. Seattle didn't used to be a psycho liberal nuthouse until the California cancer spread there, and it's continued to spread outside of Seattle. You don't go to Texas and complain, leftists like you go to Austin and spread liberalism like cancer.

WA hasn't always been a far left democrat stronghold. People who have been in the Seattle area longer than left wing SJW carpetbaggers have every right to complain.
from 1932 to the present, Republicans have only won the king's votes in just 7 election cycles versus 15 Democratic cycles, seattle has been liberal since union times.

It became a big city after the arrival of large companies, as it became a large and important city, began to have big city problems ... It was not the liberals who turned Seattle and yes the technology industry.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:36 AM

365 posts, read 258,332 times
We certainly have our share of bums asking for handouts on street corners and freeway off-ramps, but it's not yet as bad as Seattle.

I think there is less 'hate' of people who think differently in the burbs, thus more room for people to work together to solve problems.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:53 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
At an early stage Seattle began its career as a liberal city. This is not a recent development.

For example, the Seattle General Strike happened Feb. 6, 1919. So labor radicalism appeared here a century ago.

The NAACP opened a branch here in 1913.

If I understand the story correctly, environmentalism here was supposedly sparked by a speech by Chief Seattle.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 08-17-2018 at 12:03 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 09:42 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Yes, I mentioned this earlier in the thread. Seattle has a history of liberal (democratic) thought. It goes back to what I said originally, the unions. There has been some republican influence over the last century, but mostly a moderate conservative voice. The liberal viewpoint is not new pure and simple.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:01 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
I first became interested in regionalism when I read The Nine Nations of North America by Joel Garreau, published about 1980 as I recall. There was a chapter about Ecotopia ("Ecology" + "utopia"). The region described is a long coastal strip that includes such cities as Seattle, Portland and San Francisco.

American Nations by Colin Woodard also described this coastal region-he calls it the Left Coast.

Also mentioned in a book called Interstate Commerce. Don't recall the author's name.

Another name I have seen is Cascadia.

My point being that there is a distinct regional outlook, which may be quite different from other regions.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:13 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Seattle has a history of liberal (democratic) thought. It goes back to what I said originally, the unions. There has been some republican influence over the last century, but mostly a moderate conservative voice. The liberal viewpoint is not new pure and simple.

Blue collar union guys were economically liberal -- more financial safety nets -- but they tended to be socially very conservative. Traditional families, church going, gun rights, protectionist.

Blue collar guys benefit from restricted immigration (as do IT workers) and voted for Trump. This is why the modern far Left (Antifa, etc.) has contempt for the ordinary American worker.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:26 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Blue collar union guys were economically liberal -- more financial safety nets -- but they tended to be socially very conservative. Traditional families, church going, gun rights, protectionist.

Blue collar guys benefit from restricted immigration (as do IT workers) and voted for Trump. This is why the modern far Left (Antifa, etc.) has contempt for the ordinary American worker.
Oh brother. Truly, Seattle is probably a bad fit.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:30 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
We are in high density housing in Redmond. We got a porch; Can't wait to start meat smoking, preparing currys and stinky fried fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area