Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 10:10 AM

1,487 posts, read 789,751 times

Advertisements

Daughters BFF is up here visiting. She moved here five years ago, went back to Cali (San Francisco) in June for a job. I asked her if all the YT videos about people leaving LA and SF, about the sea of homeless tents, and about the awful human excrement on city streets was true. She said yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 10:17 AM

905 posts, read 1,110,204 times
I was always under the impression that there's been a "mass exodus" of Californians to other states for decades now.

But the problems you see down there (Traffic, homelessness, sky high COL) all apply to Seattle too.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:18 AM

42,830 posts, read 26,567,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
Daughters BFF is up here visiting. She moved here five years ago, went back to Cali (San Francisco) in June for a job. I asked her if all the YT videos about people leaving LA and SF, about the sea of homeless tents, and about the awful human excrement on city streets was true. She said yes.
Well that sure proves it huh?

Old 08-31-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Well that sure proves it huh?
Yes it does. I got an eyewitness account.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
I was always under the impression that there's been a "mass exodus" of Californians to other states for decades now.

But the problems you see down there (Traffic, homelessness, sky high COL) all apply to Seattle too.
They do now. Eight hundred and six thousand people have moved here to Seattle from all points beyond since 2010.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:40 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,716,787 times
The birth rate in California must be astronomical because back in the late 90's we were saying the same thing in Texas: "All these damn Californians keep showing up for the booming tech industry in Austin"

Old 08-31-2018, 11:26 AM

102,417 posts, read 108,779,729 times
Quote:
You watch YT? Whatever for?!

Those things are true of SF, but she doesn't actually live in the city, does she?

And btw, Russian cities also have horrific traffic, especially Moscow, but even in the hinterlands, people have to leave the house very early in the morning to spend an hour or two in traffic on roads with too few lanes, to get to work from suburban apartment clusters. Unlike in the US, most citizens don't have the option of relocating wherever they want. You might ask the YT people, why they don't have shows presenting those realities....

Really, the whole YT schtick isn't even worth the eyeroll emoji I was going to post.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-31-2018 at 12:43 PM..

Old 08-31-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post

I think it was in the 80's, that Seattleites started complaining about all the Californians moving in. But oddly, it was roughly around the same time, that the locals were leaving the Seattle area in droves. There was that famous billboard that said, "Will the last person to leave Seattle please turn out the lights?"

Old 08-31-2018, 12:14 PM

Default It looked credible!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You watch YT? Whatever for?!

Those things are true of SF, but she doesn't actually live in the city, does she?

And btw, Russian cities also have horrific traffic, especially Moscow, but even in the hinterlands, people have to leave the house very early in the morning to spend an hour or two in traffic on roads with too few lanes, to get to work from suburban apartment clusters. Unlike in the US, most citizens don't have the option of relocating wherever they want. You might ask the YT people, why they don't have shows presenting those realities....

Really, the whole YT schtick isn't even worth the eyeball emoji I was going to post.
https://youtu.be/fUtyW4FRn78

https://youtu.be/JhaNjIT2rPE
Daughter's BFF does live in the city. Five people in one house to make the rent.
I love YT Ruth. It's like a thrift store. You have to check out every single item and look thoroughly for the best.
. I know you can only believe half of what you see and some or none of what you hear(Marvin).
They looked and sounded professional and genuine. Aren't they both network news, or is the Fabio segment something else? I saw the Channel 5 insignia on the other one.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
https://youtu.be/fUtyW4FRn78

https://youtu.be/JhaNjIT2rPE
Daughter's BFF does live in the city. Five people in one house to make the rent.
I love YT Ruth. It's like a thrift store. You have to check out every single item and look thoroughly for the best.
. I know you can only believe half of what you see and some or none of what you hear(Marvin).
They looked and sounded professional and genuine. Aren't they both network news, or is the Fabio segment something else? I saw the Channel 5 insignia on the other one.
Interesting take on YT. "Network news"?! YT is Putin's propaganda machine, aimed at undermining US citizens' confidence in their own country. Though, *cough* our current leadership seems to be doing its share in that regard.

I've actually been known to glance at YT on rare occasion, but only for the news from Russia, especially their coverage of environmental issues and Native peoples. (The two topics can coincide.) There's no place else to get that kind of news. I can't bring myself to watch their coverage of US news; it's too horribly transparently a hatchet job. Anyway, I don't have a TV, so I rarely have access to it, mercifully.

edit: oh, I know what you mean, now, by "network news" (after re-reading your post). US network news occasionally will show a clip from YT. YT itself is not network news. They have their own cable channel. It's Putin's version of our "Raidio Free Europe/Radio Liberty" and "Voice of America". Russia's striking back, for 70 years of the US beaming its message to Soviet, and post-Soviet, citizens.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-31-2018 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area