Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 03:04 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Have you considered living outside of the country? Money goes much farther in places like Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Vietnam, Bali. I'm not joking, lots of expats do it.
Second person on the thread (so far) to mention CA or SA. Going exploring there as my next overseas trip, to see how that might work in Costa Rica and Panama. Possibly Belize as well. Lots of planning to do, need to understand the mentality of living as an Ex-pat.

Beats the absurdity of asking about "$100K place in Puget Sound area," an idea which last flew during the Clinton Administration. Clinton's first, to boot. My first condo was $151K in Mill Creek, and the meteoric rise had started...nice enough place, sort of mid-level, and I lived there eleven years with no problem. Made money on the sale, though it was really a wash all that time counting inflation and cost of money. Good luck moving in there for less than $300K these days for a two bedroom.

Class B motorhome might work for compact, CONUS living, too. I'm going to look into all these things pretty seriously starting oh, t-minus three years or so to my personal 'eject' button so I can get the hell out of here.

Amazing thread, sometimes, on C-D Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 04:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Issaquah has a mobile home community for 55+ and it's totally in your price range, however you don't see many come on the market all that often.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/14_zm/1_rs/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/14_zm/1_rs/

If you were able to get one of these you'd still have to drive a mile or two to access the bus routes (at least I don't think any go directly to the mobile home park, but I admit I really don't know). In any case, if you could get to downtown Issaquah you can ride the 200 metro route, which is completely free and connects you to all the major retail centers in Issaquah. Do note however that it only runs M-F, from 9-4pm, which is far often too limiting for me and my work hours. As a retired individual I would use it all the time.

Good luck!
Though these are Issaquah address, they are closer to Preston, not near anything with only one bus morning only from the Preston Park and Ride to Issaquah.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:57 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Though these are Issaquah address, they are closer to Preston, not near anything with only one bus morning only from the Preston Park and Ride to Issaquah.
I specified that you have to drive a mile or two.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:22 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Try Spokane and Eastern Washington. You have colder winters with snow and Hot Summers but it is less expensive than Seattle. Just a thought for you to consider.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:11 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,886 times
If you're set on the PNW go to this website: https://www.johnlscott.com/search, click on the green Criteria button (on the upper left), enter your price range and the housing types you are looking for, zoom in on western Washington, and voila, over 200 listings will come up in your price range of under $100K, many of which are mobile homes on their own land. There's a toggle button and arrow on the right that allows you to sort by price (high to low or vice versa) square footage, acreage, etc.

Now all you need to do is contact a realtor to help you chose the right one.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:42 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Second person on the thread (so far) to mention CA or SA. Going exploring there as my next overseas trip, to see how that might work in Costa Rica and Panama. Possibly Belize as well. Lots of planning to do, need to understand the mentality of living as an Ex-pat.

Beats the absurdity of asking about "$100K place in Puget Sound area," an idea which last flew during the Clinton Administration. Clinton's first, to boot. My first condo was $151K in Mill Creek, and the meteoric rise had started...nice enough place, sort of mid-level, and I lived there eleven years with no problem. Made money on the sale, though it was really a wash all that time counting inflation and cost of money. Good luck moving in there for less than $300K these days for a two bedroom.

Class B motorhome might work for compact, CONUS living, too. I'm going to look into all these things pretty seriously starting oh, t-minus three years or so to my personal 'eject' button so I can get the hell out of here.

Amazing thread, sometimes, on C-D Seattle.

Baerde, have a look at the highlands (small towns near Medellin or in the Zona Cafetera like Salento) of Colombia. Incredibly safe now, beautiful areas, mild climate in the mountains, great people, quite affordable. Honestly, with all the violence, I don't even know why potential expats consider Mexico anymore. I've traveled pretty extensively twice in Colombia, let me know if you need any ideas. There is also a clear path in Colombia to citizenship (they have good healthcare system) through real estate purchase.

Belize is suprisingly dangerous. Watch the American Gringo documentary, the story of crazy John McAfee (the antivirus pioneer) to get a taste. Also, for my money, Colombia is way more interesting, suprisingly gentile and refined and undeniably more topographically interesting. In one country: gorgeous coffee producing mountain region, Amazon Jungle, stunning beaches on the Caribbean, 18,000 foot snow capped mountains..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area