Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 10:27 AM

111 posts, read 137,109 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me a low-down on how "option" schools work in Seattle? It seems like most K-8 (Salmon Bay, Catherine Blaine) are option schools. Does that mean if you live in the neighborhood, you get priority, and other available spots are done through a lottery? Or is the entire school via lottery system.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 11:02 AM

806 posts, read 604,239 times
I'm pretty sure when we moved to TOPS K-8 it was all lottery based and families with siblings who already attend the school get priority. There were families from all over town. It is easier to transfer in at a later grade, there is less competition. I believe they changed the busing rules a few years ago so you do have to be within the zone if you want your child to have a bus option.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:01 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
This should answer some of your questions: https://www.seattleschools.org/schools/option

No one is "in neighborhood" for option schools, so you would need to apply and hope for the best! Once you are in, however, you should be good to continue (barring any very unusual circumstances).

Old 10-08-2018, 08:07 AM

Thanks. So, if my kids got into one of those schools but then we moved, they could stay in the school?

Also, can anyone give me a brief overview of the K-8 options? I've read about then on here and online and it seems like Catherine Blaine has kids from upper middle class families, Salmon Bay focuses on arts but not to exclusion of math and has quirkier kids, and the performance of there schools varies quite a bit (based on Greatschools scores, which h are based on test scores I know).

Old 10-08-2018, 08:09 AM

Also, fwiw if we move, I would have a 3rd grader and a 6th grader when we move - I think a K-8 would be an easier transiyion for the 6th grader than a 6-8 school.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:38 AM

806 posts, read 604,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogo35 View Post
Thanks. So, if my kids got into one of those schools but then we moved, they could stay in the school?

Also, can anyone give me a brief overview of the K-8 options? I've read about then on here and online and it seems like Catherine Blaine has kids from upper middle class families, Salmon Bay focuses on arts but not to exclusion of math and has quirkier kids, and the performance of there schools varies quite a bit (based on Greatschools scores, which h are based on test scores I know).
Yes, they get to stay but you are responsible for driving and picking them up each day if you are out of the zone. I am not familiar with those K-8 schools but in my experience you have kids from a variety of backgrounds because they come from different parts of Seattle. If you haven't looked here already you can review the performance of each school : https://www.seattleschools.org/distr...school_reports.

Each school should have a website that will give you specifics about the special programs they offer.

Is your 6th grader outgoing? If not they might have a harder time adjusting at this kind of school because most of these kids have been together since Kindergarten. At least in a middle school there are going to be more kids who don't know each other yet and are in the same boat.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:26 AM

Thank you. I didn't think about the social dynamics of a K-8 vs. Jr high; I can see your point.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:34 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
As I understand it, if your application is in on time, and another student's application also is, and neither has a sibling in the school, the geo zone( area you live near near the school) will weigh in your favor if the other student lives outside of the GeoZone, and will have priority over the lottery number. Meaning: If the other student has a sibling in the school, they will beat out your student if your student does not have a sibling in the school, but your kid will beat out the other student if neither has a sibling in the school, and your student lives in the Geo Zone. My son went to TOPS K-8. It's very well regarded, and Orca K-8 is pretty beloved within the community.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:06 AM

Thanks. Do you think the scores in the link above are a good indicator of how "good" a school is? I understand that they are based on test scores, and there is more to learning and a good school environment than how well students do on (maybe are prepped for) tests. I noticed that both Orca and TOPS are below district averages in a lot of areas.

I *feel* like a K-8 school would be a little less overwhelming, even if all the other kids knew each other, because there are also younger kids in the school. I don't know if that is logical. I also want to look at class sizes -- I'm assuming there are fewer 6-8 students per grade in a K-8 school than in in a middle school, but I haven't checked to see that that's the case.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:00 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogo35 View Post
Thanks. Do you think the scores in the link above are a good indicator of how "good" a school is? I understand that they are based on test scores, and there is more to learning and a good school environment than how well students do on (maybe are prepped for) tests. I noticed that both Orca and TOPS are below district averages in a lot of areas.

I *feel* like a K-8 school would be a little less overwhelming, even if all the other kids knew each other, because there are also younger kids in the school. I don't know if that is logical. I also want to look at class sizes -- I'm assuming there are fewer 6-8 students per grade in a K-8 school than in in a middle school, but I haven't checked to see that that's the case.
Yes, the ratings are entirely based on test scores. But I think it has less to do with prepping for the test than demographics. TOPs and Orca are more diverse, both racially and across income lines. Catherine Blaine has a much higher proportion of kids from wealthier families. My son's class at TOPS( twenty something years ago) produced a lot of very successful adults, but the test scores were always a bit lower because they had a higher proportion of lower income kids and non native English speakers. There are some schools where the proportion of lower income and non native income speaking kids are so high that your child might not fit in, or be given enough opportunity to advance academically, but that's not the case with TOPS or Orca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: