Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:41 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times

Advertisements

How could I? Or rather, why would I want to? Soooo many family members living there still, my kids were born there, I met my husband and married there....

We left behind what we didn't like about it - commute, weather, cost of living...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 01:57 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
How could I? Or rather, why would I want to? Soooo many family members living there still, my kids were born there, I met my husband and married there....

We left behind what we didn't like about it - commute, weather, cost of living...
How does Austin's scenery match up to Seattle's? I live about an hour away and really like it, but I haven't been all over Austin of course. However, just from what I've seen in pics, Austin can't touch Seattle in terms of beauty. Was that a big adjustment for you guys, or did you just want to leave so badly, you didn't care?

Old 04-04-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
However, just from what I've seen in pics, Austin can't touch Seattle in terms of beauty.
Again, subjective.

I also really don't think you can compare the scenary of two totally different places. How does the scenary in Seattle compare to that of Hawaii? Talk about keeping it relative....

Again, FOR ME, scenary isn't even in my top 5 on the "What measures quality of life" list.

That all being said, I love the look of Austin, especially the hill country, but I also like the "ranch" look out by where I live. It's suburban and near the city, but still can feel rural - while totally not being rural. I have cows and horses at the front of my subdivision... I love that. Austin has trees, lots of them... and they are green. It even has evergreen cedar pine like you see ad nauseam, through out WA... though, I admit, I am totally over evergreen pine of all types. Took 5 over hundred feet tall cedar pines down from our yard in WA, and immediately took my cyprus pine down here in TX - replaced it with the pretty flowery type that are hard to grow in non-sunny climates....

Old 04-04-2008, 02:12 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,243 times
I've said this before but I'll say it again, if you pay more than 30% of your income for housing, you're pretty much kuckoo.

I'm currently at a very comforable percentage (below 30%) but I don't live within reasonable commuting distance of Seattle.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:58 PM

I wasn't trying to actually "compare" the scenery in the literal sense. What I was just wondering at is if you found Austin scenic at all. Many places I've been to are just very flat and spread out and there wasn't much to it. Most people consider TX just flat and some would go so far to say ugly. I haven't seen much of Austin, so I was just wondering your thoughts.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:08 PM

Yes, I find it scenic. For less "touristy" photos - you could visit the Austin forum.... //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...-touristy.html and/or use the search fuction with keyword "pictures" I bet...

Last edited by jwb123; 04-04-2008 at 03:17 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 03:14 PM

8 posts, read 28,676 times
Awesome pictures Jenbar!

We spend almost exactly 25% of our income on housing.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:18 PM

Those are great pics! Where was the 2nd one taken-the one with the river in it? That was beautiful

Old 04-04-2008, 03:27 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times
It nice to see that Austin isn't littered with ugly billboards… IIRC, when I worked there briefly in the mid 80's there were not many, if any billboards then either.

I actually liked Austin, wouldn’t want to live there, as it is too hot for my taste, but it is a nice city.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Where was the 2nd one taken-the one with the river in it?
I think that was from a Texas National Parks site - on the "Texas Hill Country" section.

The first 5 are of the Hill Country. Then Downtown Austin, Barton Springs Pool - also near downtown, the 360 bridge - which is just outside (kind of going around the outside) of downtown. Then South Congress St, in what's called "SOCO"... and the last two are in Round Rock (suburb of Austin).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area