Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 11:51 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

[quote=41Willys;53446690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post

It’s a perfect spot. I am hoping to get there a few weeks early so I can survey the area. Living on the east side looks to be more land, parks and trails. But Seattle looks to have a great vibe and I would not have to pay tolls every day to get into Seattle.
You can also take a look at Lake Forest Park just north of Seattle, if you like bigger lots. RE is cheaper across Seattle's northern border, lots tend to be bigger, but it's still an easy drive into Seattle, if you stay off the freeway, and there are commuter buses to the UW and downtown, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 06:15 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are several beaches on Lake Washington on the Seattle side.You decided against the Greenlake neighborhood anyway, didn't you?
No place is ruled out. Again, I am thinking of getting a temp place until I find something that fits. Or maybe I’ll hit a home run and find a place on the 1st shot. Either way I’m going to enjoy the hunt. Such a beautiful, scenic area with great people to interact with.

It’s a shame there are so many scammers on Craigslist. I just had a guy send me info on a great little bungalow in Fremont. It was below cost and had great amenities. Then the guy started texting me 2-3X a day for security deposit. I called him out on his identity and references and he just pleaded how legit he was and how great of a service he was providing.

Fast forward to this morning. A beautiful place in Magnolia! But it’s way under priced to be true. This part of the hunt is the ugly part. I appreciate all the help from this site.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:32 AM

806 posts, read 604,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
When I say safe, I’m referring to my property. I read some where that Seattle has a lot of car break ins. It sounds like the homeless are pretty much camped out downtown Seattle. I have been looking in Ballard and Fremont and Kirkland as well. I will check into these other locations tomorrow. Thank you for your time gents.
The only time we had car breakins was when we left the doors open by accident. Someone just went through our glove box and that was that. This is not violent crime nor something you should use to consider where to live. Ballard and Fremont are very cool areas in the city that are walkable or have easy access to public transit. Kirkland is a suburban wasteland but the public schools are much better. No reason to live out there if you are single bro.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:47 AM

8,069 posts, read 8,361,243 times
Quote:
That is kinda scary. And a shame. I love swimming in Lakes.
You can swim - just need to towel off well after getting out. They need to periodically treat the lake for algae, because it has no outlet.

There are swimming beaches on Lake Washington, including at Madison Park.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:29 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,143,505 times
[quote=41Willys;53446690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post

It’s a perfect spot. I am hoping to get there a few weeks early so I can survey the area. Living on the east side looks to be more land, parks and trails. But Seattle looks to have a great vibe and I would not have to pay tolls every day to get into Seattle.
(I personally think Madison Park, Madrona, and parts of Leschi are GREAT places to live.)

I live in Kirkland. It struggles to be a small town in the midst of the big-time. Stay close to downtown, keep that smaller-town vibe if involved in community associations. Norkirk, West of Market, Everest, Moss Bay come to mind. $2500-3500/month for a newer condo, they're sprouting up like mad for good reason. Much better vibe than dealing with vagrants, bums, winos, and far-Left crazies in Seattle-proper.

The 255 bus from Downtown goes to downtown Seattle. I'm on it often. About an hour, in rush hour, at the moment. Cost = zero w/free ORCA from work. Immensely cheaper than driving under almost any circumstances.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:55 AM

[quote=Blondebaerde;53451162]
Quote:

(I personally think Madison Park, Madrona, and parts of Leschi are GREAT places to live.)

I live in Kirkland. It struggles to be a small town in the midst of the big-time. Stay close to downtown, keep that smaller-town vibe if involved in community associations. Norkirk, West of Market, Everest, Moss Bay come to mind. $2500-3500/month for a newer condo, they're sprouting up like mad for good reason. Much better vibe than dealing with vagrants, bums, winos, and far-Left crazies in Seattle-proper.

The 255 bus from Downtown goes to downtown Seattle. I'm on it often. About an hour, in rush hour, at the moment. Cost = zero w/free ORCA from work. Immensely cheaper than driving under almost any circumstances.

I’m looking at those places, thank you. I’m a Field Engineer so I’ll be driving around until I can set a schedule.

Hey how is 8th Ave in Ballard, around the 50’s. I hear it’s best to park away from main roads. This place I’m looking at is only one block off of 8th. I have to go look at that map above.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:59 PM

8,069 posts, read 8,361,243 times
Quote:

I’m looking at those places, thank you. I’m a Field Engineer so I’ll be driving around until I can set a schedule.

Hey how is 8th Ave in Ballard, around the 50’s. I hear it’s best to park away from main roads. This place I’m looking at is only one block off of 8th. I have to go look at that map above.
No problem with 8th, per se - a through street, but not particularly "busy". North of Market (55th) would be better, although a block or two south could be okay. The closer you are to Leary Way (and the BINMIC "industrial" area), the more likely you'll run into this:

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/bal...olen/850731076

If you're seeing cheaper rent there, that's probably why.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:29 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
[quote=41Willys;53452165]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

Not a bad spot at all, Willys, very convenient to many places. Here's a idea: wherever you look, knock on a couple doors nearby and ask the neighbors the straight scoop on the block. They'll tell you..

Old 10-26-2018, 04:52 PM

I know its 30 miles away, but how is Monroe?

Old 10-26-2018, 04:59 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
Quote:
I know its 30 miles away, but how is Monroe?
Monroe would feel like a different universe compared to Ballard. Not that it doesn't have redeeming qualities: authentic Mexican food, some cool historic houses, really good access to the mountains for skiing and hiking. It also, however, is very "strip mally", has property crime, a meth problem and happens to be the home of the highest level sex offender prison in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area