Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 06:35 PM

8 posts, read 4,773 times

Advertisements

Hi City Data folks. My wife and I moved to a rental in Redmond a couple of weeks ago from NY to be near our newly minted granddaughter. So we have been looking around the neighborhood (Issaquahish), thinking we may buy a place (we have about 800,000 max to buy a place). We don't have much in the way of stuff (although there are 3 bikes) - so we don't need too much in the way of square footage - but some storage would be essential as I have accumulated a lot of tools over the years. Anyway - any thoughts about Klahanie? I need to swim laps and my wife needs to go to hot yoga. It looks like Klahanie may be a nice place to live for us? We don't want to buy a place that needs much work, as the place we recently sold in NY sucked all of the fixer-upper out of us. Also, I am a jazz woodwind player (sax, flute) and I will need to find some musicians to hand out with and play out on occasion. Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 07:06 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg1000000 View Post
Hi City Data folks. My wife and I moved to a rental in Redmond a couple of weeks ago from NY to be near our newly minted granddaughter. So we have been looking around the neighborhood (Issaquahish), thinking we may buy a place (we have about 800,000 max to buy a place). We don't have much in the way of stuff (although there are 3 bikes) - so we don't need too much in the way of square footage - but some storage would be essential as I have accumulated a lot of tools over the years. Anyway - any thoughts about Klahanie? I need to swim laps and my wife needs to go to hot yoga. It looks like Klahanie may be a nice place to live for us? We don't want to buy a place that needs much work, as the place we recently sold in NY sucked all of the fixer-upper out of us. Also, I am a jazz woodwind player (sax, flute) and I will need to find some musicians to hand out with and play out on occasion. Rich
Hi Rich,

Congrats on the newly minted bundle of joy. I think you would be happy in Klahanie. Important to have a good strategy to buy, things are competitive at that price point. Here is some Klahanie pool info: https://www.klahanie.com//sub_catego...itle=Pool+Info

I imagine you will come to Seattle proper to play and hear jazz. Jazz at Vito's in the First Hill area has a great old school feeling. I guess real Seattle mafioso used to hang out there back in the day. Here is the link: www.vitosseattle.com. Tula's in Belltown is rated one of the best 100 jazz clubs internationally, here's the link: www.tulas.com. I'm sure you know all these places but Jazz Alley is another large throwback dinner jazz place and gets the big names, here's the link: https://www.jazzalley.com/www-home/

-Vince.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 10-22-2018 at 07:54 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 08:04 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Klahanie sounds great for you. Unfortunately where I live, in the Issaquah Highlands, we don't have any other than what's offered by the apartment complexes. Those aren't adequate for swimming, just splashing around. Our residents have to use private sports clubs or city pools. My husband used to swim laps at Boehm pool (city of Issaquah), but it's busy and there will be multiple people in lines. The YMCA in Sammamish is supposedly nice too, but I haven't been there yet. Your wife will have a few options for her yoga. Pure 8 is up in the Highlands and enjoys a devoted group. There are two or three studios down in Issaquah, but only one seems to be hot. Klahanie is now a part of Sammamish and you might find more studios and swim clubs in Sammamish.

Congrats on your granddaughter. How lucky your son/daughter is to have you close by!

Old 10-22-2018, 08:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Our family are members at the Sammamish Y and my wife does the water excercise program, and loves it. Currently there are several homes here in the Demery Hill/Sahalee Woods area below your budget, just a little older than in Klahanie, but most on 12,000 sf lots. Klahanie was annexed to Sammamish, used to have an Issaquah address but was unincorporated King County.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:17 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
We have a condo near Anderson Park, Redmond; blocks to 24 Hr Fitness (Yoga and small lap pool), Gold's Gym (Yoga, Small lap pool) , TownCenter (Hot Yoga), Downtown, blocks to Sattva Yoga, and Redmond Community Center at Marymoor. Wife can easily do without a car and walks to most places. She however pulled some muscles and tendons doing yoga and is incapacitated. Bus routes #545 to Seattle in ~40minutes. I gave up all of my tools when we sold the house and farm. Biggest tool I have now is a 14" Echo Chain saw... which I can't think of every using again. Wife wanted flat land and no more yard and farm . age 68/71

Old 10-24-2018, 10:19 AM

Thank you all for your comments. I was also thinking of Redmond as a final destination (who knows - maybe we we live such a long time that there will be many moves in our future) but was under the impression that Redmond was a step higher in price as compared to the Issaquah and surrounding areas?

Old 10-24-2018, 10:20 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg1000000 View Post
Thank you all for your comments. I was also thinking of Redmond as a final destination (who knows - maybe we we live such a long time that there will be many moves in our future) but was under the impression that Redmond was a step higher in price as compared to the Issaquah and surrounding areas?
Your impression is correct . You'll generally get more house for your money in Klahanie than Redmond.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Interesting article showing that the annexation of Klahanie in 2016 resulted in a "massive jump" in Sammamish police calls.

Sammamish police 2017 stats drive new services study | Issaquah Reporter

Old 10-24-2018, 04:32 PM

240 posts, read 195,629 times
House prices in Klahanie jumped quite a bit after it was annexed by Sammamish.. I guess it has more to do with the city name vs actual change in facilities. Price wise it is almost same as Redmond now with many Amazonians moving in due to closer proximity to I-90 compared to interior Sammamish... The average/ median price is skewed a bit as Klahanie has quite a few townhomes which have lower price but much higher monthly HOA fee.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:02 AM

Hi again. Does anyone know anything about the pool in Klahanie? Does one have to live within certain geographical boundaries to use it? Is there a membership fee? It looks very cool and I am a lap swimmer, so access to this pool would be a major consideration when looking around the area for homes. I looked over their website but can't find details regarding the above. Thanks, Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area