Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 08:45 PM

56 posts, read 94,039 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am at the final stages of figuring out our logistics for our upcoming visit to the Emerald City. I've mapped out our bus routes and I just wanted to get a some reassurances on the area, we will be doing a tiny bit of trekking with our family of 4. Sometimes the impressions given from Google Maps is not be an accurate representation.

1. We're going to visit the must-see Space Needle. Our route back has us going through Aurora Ave & Denny Wy, I've read that some parts of Aurora can be sketchy. We'll be walking from the Space Needle after sunset, is it recommended or should we just do ride-share?

2. We may also be planning on visiting the Sky View Observatory, it may seem redundant, but if time permits, we may take a look-see. We will have a couple blocks of walking in this area, also in the evening.

That's all! I appreciate any advice that can be offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 09:01 PM

8,167 posts, read 8,268,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajoy View Post
Hi everyone! I am at the final stages of figuring out our logistics for our upcoming visit to the Emerald City. I've mapped out our bus routes and I just wanted to get a some reassurances on the area, we will be doing a tiny bit of trekking with our family of 4. Sometimes the impressions given from Google Maps is not be an accurate representation.

1. We're going to visit the must-see Space Needle. Our route back has us going through Aurora Ave & Denny Wy, I've read that some parts of Aurora can be sketchy. We'll be walking from the Space Needle after sunset, is it recommended or should we just do ride-share?

2. We may also be planning on visiting the Sky View Observatory, it may seem redundant, but if time permits, we may take a look-see. We will have a couple blocks of walking in this area, also in the evening.

That's all! I appreciate any advice that can be offered.
Hi mamajoy, depends on where your hotel is. From the sounds of your directions, it is on the north end of downtown. You should be just fine walking during the day. Might be easier and a little safer to take a Lyft or Uber in the evening. Won't cost much and the kids will probably love the easy ride home .

Old 10-23-2018, 09:11 PM

8,065 posts, read 8,339,946 times
1. Walking back to your hotel? The issue with Aurora is much further north (cheap motels catering to prostitutes, north of 85th). As long as you stick to well-lit streets, you should be fine.

2. Avoid 3rd Avenue between Jefferson and Yesler (in front of the King County Courthouse).

Old 10-25-2018, 12:39 PM

513 posts, read 497,802 times
You'll be fine. There aren't any "no go zones" in Seattle. I would say to avoid 3rd Ave between University and Virginia just to make your visit more pleasant. Open drug dealing, bad smells, needles, mentally ill people - nothing you want to deal with on vacation. But the street people usually don't cause trouble, they are just there like zombies.

Also as CrazyDonkey said, 3rd between Jefferson and Yesler. There's really nothing of note on 3rd so should be easy to avoid.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:18 PM

56 posts, read 94,039 times
Hi again everyone. Sorry, I should have been clearer.

We're not walking back to our hotel, but walking towards the stop for transit that is at Aurora Ave & Denny Wy. I guess it's best to just use ride-share, I don't want to be running into anything that will make our trip any less than awesome.

Also, thanks for the tip on keeping away from 3rd between Jefferson/Yesler. Luckily none of our adventures have us going that way so we're in the clear.

I had oooone more question for anyone who is willing to share their thoughts. We will also be staying on Olive and wanted to try Kizuki or Ooink for a nice warm ramen dinner - it's about 10 minute walk. The area seems like it would be okay, but I know that the night hours can change things pretty quickly.

Thank you again so much, these forums are so great!

Old 10-25-2018, 06:23 PM

8,167 posts, read 8,268,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajoy View Post
Hi again everyone. Sorry, I should have been clearer.

We're not walking back to our hotel, but walking towards the stop for transit that is at Aurora Ave & Denny Wy. I guess it's best to just use ride-share, I don't want to be running into anything that will make our trip any less than awesome.

Also, thanks for the tip on keeping away from 3rd between Jefferson/Yesler. Luckily none of our adventures have us going that way so we're in the clear.

I had oooone more question for anyone who is willing to share their thoughts. We will also be staying on Olive and wanted to try Kizuki or Ooink for a nice warm ramen dinner - it's about 10 minute walk. The area seems like it would be okay, but I know that the night hours can change things pretty quickly.

Thank you again so much, these forums are so great!
You should be fine, as long as it isn't too late. You can run into a "character" now and again crossing I-5, probably always best to walk when other people are walking. I LOVE Ooink, btw. Besides the fantastic ramen, they have this Malaysian deliciousness appetizer called Spicy Ayam Goreng that you must try, I think I heard that the owner's wife is Malaysian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: