Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why would you want to leave or what deters you from living in Seattle?
People/Culture 9 13.64%
Weather/Climate 29 43.94%
Lack of ammenities 0 0%
Lack of affordability 18 27.27%
Economy not kind to you or your profession 1 1.52%
Don't think it's a good place to raise a family 1 1.52%
Safety concerns 1 1.52%
Disagree with the politics 3 4.55%
Other/It's just my preference 4 6.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 01:57 PM

98 posts, read 102,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
That's all very nice and L.L Bean catalogish. I've spent 21 years in the North. Those things are all well and good right after a snowfall, but, in about 20 minutes, you get cold and have to go inside. And pretty soon the snow turns into dirty slush.
How many years have you lived in Seattle, then? Obviously one doesn't need to live here to know that it is just about perfect!

Look, it's great to be optimistic and excited about moving some place new, but come on, live here for a few months first before you begin mixing up a pitcher of Kool-aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 02:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
My brother and I loved the snow. We would drag our sleds out at the first drop of a flake and wait to be able to go sledding. He (bro) never ice-skated, but I did and loved it (still do). Bro and friends used to play a variation of football called "Mud Football", which required a muddy field and preferably inclement weather. I know this latter point b/c I typed a paper on the subject for him once. DH used to play pick up hockey on the creeks in Omaha, NE.

Yes, with my own kids it was an in and out thing, but they could amuse themselves for an hour or two with sledding, snowman building, etc. And of course I took them ice skating.

So, back to topic, snow is not a bad thing. Of course, you can play "Mud Football" in the rain, as well. But it's hard to ice skate or sled in the rain.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-12-2008 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Get back on topic

Old 05-23-2008, 01:21 PM

26 posts, read 99,378 times
Why close a poll after only 66 votes?

mod note: The reason is that the OP set it up for it to be open for only 30 days. When you create a poll, you can specify how long you want it open.

Last edited by scirocco22; 05-24-2008 at 10:10 AM..

Old 05-23-2008, 08:32 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lijohy View Post
Well if you actually get up and do something on a rainy day, there is a lot to do if you live in Seattle.
IF you live in Seattle. There are well over a million people in King County alone who don't live in Seattle, or even all that close to it, who have to deal with the same rain and bad weather Seattle gets. Many of them don't have a bus route within walking distance, especially not with children. Have you ever tried taking a bus from east King Co to Seattle? It takes hours.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:11 AM

260 posts, read 768,742 times
We are leaving Seattle. I love it here but hubby is not happy. I love the rain, he gets depressed. I have made tons of friends through a "newcomer's" group (some people in my group have been here 10 years and still they feel like newcomers). They are all very eager to get together, make friends, and laugh (I think this is outlawed in Seattle). He loved So. Cal sailing and does not feel the same about sailing here. Politics...don't get me started. Hubby has felt very isolated. We vote the person not the party but we are economically conservative, but when we tell people we are not Democrats, you'd think we had come from a different planet. I am an Independent, but a friend of mine said upon hearing that my hubby was a registered Republican said, "Oh, I know another Republican." That gives you an idea of how isolated one can feel here. We respect the environmental fervor here, but not the decision making capabilities (the viaduct decision for example). It was my dream of 20 years to live here, so there will be teardrops falling, not just rain, when we leave.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:54 PM

5 posts, read 17,492 times
When it's 95 degrees and the humidity is 95%, believe me, your kids won't be romping around outside. Hot, humid weather is so much worse...if you truly like that sort of thing, more power to you and I hope you find a great place to live soon. Sun stroke, overheating, sunburn, and just plain feeling like you need a shower 10 minutes after you took one ....I'll never understand what it is about that kind of weather people actually like. Still, it's a good thing everyone doesn't like the same thing or we'd all be bunched up in the same place! Sunny, hot and NOT humid, like New Mexico, was fine...I love it, but day after day after day of sun can get to you after a while, too.

Hmmmm...guess I'll just have to live 6 months in Washington and 6 in New Mexico. First, though, I just need to find that pot of gold at the end of one of those rainbows to afford it!

Incidentally, one of the most beautiful rainbows I've ever seen was when we were in Seattle...it was in 2000 and it caused a bunch of fender benders because everyone was looking at it instead of the road!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:19 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default The rain

I hear a lot of great things about Seattle, but my God, excessive precipitation is something that I don't care for. I don't care how beautiful and great the place is.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 AM

300 posts, read 1,211,312 times
Lack of tolerance/give people the benefit of the doubt.

Just because someone doesn't share your exact pattern of daily life doesn't mean they're a member of the axis of evil. Give people the benefit of the doubt!

You might simply not be able to afford buying a new eco-friendly, organic, recyclable, electric powered bicycle to work, rather than being a stooge for the oil lobby.
You might simply want to spend the extra time it'd take to take the bus to work with your kid instead because you love your kid and would rather get to know them better than the bus driver.
Living on eastside because you can't afford to live in Seattle and you'd rather live closer to work (to minimize your impact on the environment and spend more time with your kid rather than going over the bridges), rather than being some completely uncool, uptight, strip-mall loving, yuppie. The strip malls and condos were here before I got here. Yes, Bellevue Square is obnoxious.

... things like that.

I think people would find that they agree on more than they thought, and it'd be a nicer place to live if people cut each other a bit more slack.

Last edited by obsidian97; 09-05-2008 at 02:46 AM..

Old 09-05-2008, 07:03 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I hear a lot of great things about Seattle, but my God, excessive precipitation is something that I don't care for. I don't care how beautiful and great the place is.
Actually, Seattle receives less rain than almost any of the cities on the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S.; even most of the Southeast gets more rain than Seattle.

The difference is that in Seattle we get most of our rain in the form of drizzle and mist, while cities on the East Coast and the Southeast get most of their rain in heavy downpours.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:25 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggia View Post
When it's 95 degrees and the humidity is 95%, believe me, your kids won't be romping around outside.
Sure they will, by swimming or playing at the splash park! We did that all summer (our first in the Houston area) and it was so much fun. I am sad that the community pools are starting to close (way too early in the year, in my opinion).

After almost 10 years in Seattle, I literally go outside and stand with my face tilted up toward the sun and just bask in the warmth and heat. And I never thought I was a "sun person" until now.

The poll was tough since it wasn't multiple choice. Our reasons for moving include People/Culture, Weather/Climate, Lack of Affordability, and Economy Not Kind To My Husband's Profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area