Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2018, 08:00 PM

66 posts, read 75,824 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I moved to Bellevue WA in September, and so far we love WA, but Bellevue isn't quite what we expected. Nothing wrong with it, but it does not quite suit our needs. The crowd is a little too high end for my taste, but it was close to Seattle (and a ton beautiful parks!) and we don't like living in downtown cities.

My husband would like to get his graduate degree at the University of WA when our lease is up next year, however we don't really want to live in University District, and living on campus is too complicated of an ordeal (there can be a waitlist for up to 18 months, and there's no guarantee for housing...)

My job will be in DT Seattle, so I would like something within a 30-40 minute bus ride for myself, and about a 15 minute commute for my husband by car to the university. I want as quiet as I can get, walkable is a plus, and somewhere with hip character. Ballard is super cute, but I would like to see if we can find something a little less cramped (but it is an option). I was looking at Wedgewood, Pinehurst, Victory Heights, Maple Leaf area. I dropped the pegman around in Google and most areas look pretty much what we're looking for. Eventually we want to settle down in White Center or Burien, but that's too long of a commute for my husband.

How congested do these areas get? Are they somewhat safe and walkable? What is the social dynamic (sleepy vs more lively)? We have found plenty of apartments in the area in our price range so I am not too worried about price.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 08:57 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Hey Squidney, Maple Leaf is a nice combo of walkability and pretty relaxed, probably the best on your list. Bryant area (just north of U Village) is good too. Parts of Wedgwood (near Lake City) are walkable, not quite as hip but "evolving" that way. Anywhere within a few blocks of 65th St east of I-5 until 25th Ave is pretty walkable. You might want to peek at parts of Greenwood West of I-5 too. Phinney Ridge is great if you can afford it.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:35 PM

You could also live in a place like Columbia City, vibrant neighborhood with great light rail access to both downtown and UW. It is the other direction than what you asked about, just south of central Seattle, but would give you a very manageable commute.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:46 PM

66 posts, read 75,824 times
Thank you, I will try to visit those cities to get a feel for the area. As much as I love visiting DT, I love my quite too, haha. I appreciate your suggestions!

Old 11-15-2018, 06:44 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,678 times
Madison Park

Old 11-15-2018, 08:29 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,284 times
I live in the Ravenna district and am quite familiar with all the areas you listed.

I think that "quiet" is a relative term. Generally, anywhere within a block or so of the major arterial streets, like Roosevelt, NE 65th, 25th or 35th Avenues NE, and so on, are going to have good access to downtown and the UW. The City has upzoned (relentlessly) the areas around the light rail stations (Roosevelt, Northgate) so those areas are going become increasingly congested and busy; unfortunately (to me, others will disagree) Ballard is a model of what the City likes - high density, lots of pedestrian traffic, lively day and night.

In your circumstances I'd look at Maple Leaf, Bryant and Wedgwood, in the latter case a block or two off 35th Ave. NE. These are pleasant residential neighborhoods with good access to transit, shops and things to do. But picking a particular location will require you to visit at various times of day and night, just to get a feel of how things change over the course of a day or week. I'd also look around Laurelhurst and Children's Hospital, where there are pockets of affordable housing with great access to amenities.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidneyGee View Post
Thank you, I will try to visit those cities to get a feel for the area. As much as I love visiting DT, I love my quite too, haha. I appreciate your suggestions!
You are welcome, Squidney, though I should point out that the areas I've mentioned are neighborhoods in Seattle, not cities in their own right.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:58 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Look for places near bus routes that feed into the UW ULink Station:

44: Wallingford, N. Fremont, Ballard
45: Roosevelt, Green Lake, Greenwood, Crown Hill, Loyal Heights
65: Bryant, Wedgwood, Meadowbrook, Lake City, Jackson Park
67: Roosevelt, Northgate
71: Roosevelt, Hawthorne Hills, View Ridge, Wedgwood
73: Roosevelt, Maple Leaf, Jackson Park
78: U Village, Children's Hospital
372: Ravenna, Wedgwood, Lake City, Lake Forest Park
373: Ravenna, Wedgwood, Jackson Park

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/transpo...ules-maps.aspx

https://external-preview.redd.it/mBL...=webp&74ef65d7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area