Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 02:18 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
West Seattle starts in the 500's? Asking for me, not OP.
Mostly for 3bd/2ba houses. Most of the 4bd/2ba houses for under $600k are in Delridge or Rainier Beach. You have to decide whether you're willing to bet your children on the future. Best scenario - gentrifying 'hood with an "8" elementary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 03:56 PM

22 posts, read 14,507 times
How long would a commute from somewhere like Wallingford or NE Seattle be to Highline in a ballpark range?

And regarding West Seattle... I know this has been touched upon but what are the best areas in terms of walkability and proximity to best schools? We are happy to rent as well so we can keep our Aussie home until the Aussie market improves.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:19 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddieinoz View Post
How long would a commute from somewhere like Wallingford or NE Seattle be to Highline in a ballpark range?

And regarding West Seattle... I know this has been touched upon but what are the best areas in terms of walkability and proximity to best schools? We are happy to rent as well so we can keep our Aussie home until the Aussie market improves.
Hi Maddie, I think the Admiral area of West Seattle would make you happy in a number of ways. Hard to answer your question about NE Seattle/Wallingford to Highline. What time of day there and back? I'm guessing 45 minutes but can be worse when I-5 plugs up. That's why West Seattle would be so much better, I know i'm repeating myself but I can't stress it enough.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Wallingford or NE Seattle to Highline would be very unpredictable, with several major bottlenecks along the way. The Viaduct comes down in another month or so, which means you'll need to pay a toll, both ways. In general, commuting from North to South Seattle is not a good idea.

West Seattle is a much better idea. Walkable: North Admiral (California Ave SW & SW Admiral Way), the Junction (California Ave SW & SW Alaska St), and Alki. Also, look at the Fauntleroy neighborhood, which gives you access to Lincoln Park (for walks) and Westwood Village (for shopping: Target, QFC, Barnes & Noble).

Schools: Alki Elementary "9", Fairmont Park Elementary "9", Genesee Hills Elementary "8". Don't worry about the middle or high school - the elementaries will populate those schools.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:19 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Wallingford or NE Seattle to Highline would be very unpredictable, with several major bottlenecks along the way. The Viaduct comes down in another month or so, which means you'll need to pay a toll, both ways. In general, commuting from North to South Seattle is not a good idea.

West Seattle is a much better idea. Walkable: North Admiral (California Ave SW & SW Admiral Way), the Junction (California Ave SW & SW Alaska St), and Alki. Also, look at the Fauntleroy neighborhood, which gives you access to Lincoln Park (for walks) and Westwood Village (for shopping: Target, QFC, Barnes & Noble).

Schools: Alki Elementary "9", Fairmont Park Elementary "9", Genesee Hills Elementary "8". Don't worry about the middle or high school - the elementaries will populate those schools.
Pretty rare for schools inside any major cities to be rated so high.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:11 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
It will make you hate life.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Yeah, we have many beautiful neighborhoods that ring the downtown core pretty closely, somewhat unique in America.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Test scores tend to be correlated with family income. Active and engaged parents and staff can make a difference. More and more professional families are moving into Seattle proper, to shorten soul-sucking commutes. An interesting pocket:

Rainier View Elementary "8":

Test Scores "8",
Student Progress "7",
Equity Overview "10" ("Disadvantaged students at this school are performing far better than other students in the state, and this school is successfully closing the achievement gap."),
Low-Income Students "9" ("Test scores for low income students at this school are far above the state average for all students.).

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...homes_profiles

Old 12-05-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Test scores tend to be correlated with family income. Active and engaged parents and staff can make a difference. More and more professional families are moving into Seattle proper, to shorten soul-sucking commutes. An interesting pocket:

Rainier View Elementary "8":

Test Scores "8",
Student Progress "7",
Equity Overview "10" ("Disadvantaged students at this school are performing far better than other students in the state, and this school is successfully closing the achievement gap."),
Low-Income Students "9" ("Test scores for low income students at this school are far above the state average for all students.).

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...homes_profiles
Really heartening to see these scores, thanks for sharing. Yes CrazyDonkey, Rainier Beach and the Lakeridge areas are pretty hot right now, nice value for money.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:26 AM

22 posts, read 14,507 times
Thanks everyone! CLEARLY I have no concept of the traffic. How fast dongouses typically stay on the market in desirable locations? Do houses often go for more than asking price? Or does it depend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area