Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 01:55 PM

4 posts, read 3,865 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone thank you all for the info! @Blondebaerde the Bravern is one of my top choices for an apartment! @Gardyloo I do plan on buying in a year or so! Yes, I will be based at the Redmond campus! If I moved to SLU I was planning on living close to the Microsoft Westlake Terry office and just shuttle from there., However, I've worked at another large tech company in Mountainview, and intercampus shuttles weren't always time-efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 01:57 PM

@leastprime I did think of doing that via Airbnb, and just leaving my stuff in storage while trying out diff areas.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:23 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,712 times
Quote:
@leastprime I did think of doing that via Airbnb, and just leaving my stuff in storage while trying out diff areas.

We did this in CO when we temporarily relocated there for 6 months. Spent 2 months in house #1, 2 months in house #2, and then 2 more in house #3. We deliberately picked different types of neighborhoods just to have the experience of changing pace, and the one we loved most was not one I ever would've initially picked. A couple months is enough for the newness to wear off and to really see what you like and dislike. It wasn't as spendy as I thought since there were none of the extra expenses (or hassle) that usually come with moving. Were we to think of moving somewhere completely new, I'd definitely want to do some abbreviated version of that.

However, as someone who has commuted across the lake from Seattle (Capitol Hill) to Redmond for many years - don't do it unless you have a really compelling reason, or just really enjoy sitting in traffic. Also, traffic in SLU is really, really extra icky - even for Seattle. Plus, there's not much to do there in the evening.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:57 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,295,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washgal View Post
Hey everyone thank you all for the info! @Blondebaerde the Bravern is one of my top choices for an apartment! @Gardyloo I do plan on buying in a year or so! Yes, I will be based at the Redmond campus! If I moved to SLU I was planning on living close to the Microsoft Westlake Terry office and just shuttle from there., However, I've worked at another large tech company in Mountainview, and intercampus shuttles weren't always time-efficient.
Washgal, when the time comes that you are ready to purchase, areas to keep in mind: Among my clients, Montlake is a favorite neighborhood of people who work at Microsoft but who are clear that they want to live on the Seattle side. North Capitol Hill and Portage Bay work pretty well too, all three have fairly easy 520 access, Montlake definitely being the best.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:32 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,711 times
I would put SLU on the bottom of that list. I'd go for DT Bellevue, Kirkland, or Redmond. I would also choose a place near a bus stop that has service to Microsoft to make the commute very easy. The "reverse" commute from downtown to Microsoft for work during rush hours is worse than the Eastside to Seattle commute- even on a bus.

Quote:
The 545 bus stops at MontLake for UDub.
It's my understanding that will change soon, with no more Montlake stop. I just did some searching and found it on a bus page:
Quote:
Due to continued work on the 520 bridge project, the Washington State Department of Transportation will be permanently closing the Montlake Freeway Station near UW in March 2019.
https://www.soundtransit.org/system-...reeway-station

Old 11-25-2018, 07:58 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your advice! I will def mark SLU off the list and stick to DT Bellevue, Kirkland, or Redmond!

Old 11-25-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washgal View Post
Thank you, everyone, for your advice! I will def mark SLU off the list and stick to DT Bellevue, Kirkland, or Redmond!
Makes sense. Downtown Kirkland and its waterfront on Lake Washington is the most enjoyably "walkable" of those options. Beautiful location, gorgeous view apartments and condos available. I believe that the stylish boutiques, pubs, restaurants and quality of life there will make you very happy. When you need the larger stores of Bellevue, it's easy to get there from Kirkland.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 11-25-2018 at 09:15 PM..

Old 11-26-2018, 12:19 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,848 times
Reading through the comments, I really do like the downtown Kirkland option as well as Bellevue.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:24 AM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,458 times
I have not spent time in SLU lately, but it's basically downtown Seattle, so I'm sure there is an abundance of petty crime, panhandling, etc. There is very little of that in DT Bellevue, and I do spend a lot of time there. including late at night. It's not 100% free of petty crime like it was 10 years ago, but still very safe and pleasant. You can walk to everywhere--mall, grocery, etc. Tons of new restaurants have opened just in the last 5 years or so, and there is actually some nightlife now (also walking distance).

If it were me, it would be Bellevue, no brainer, if not Redmond, as someone suggested.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I have not spent time in SLU lately, but it's basically downtown Seattle, so I'm sure there is an abundance of petty crime, panhandling, etc. There is very little of that in DT Bellevue, and I do spend a lot of time there. including late at night. It's not 100% free of petty crime like it was 10 years ago, but still very safe and pleasant. You can walk to everywhere--mall, grocery, etc. Tons of new restaurants have opened just in the last 5 years or so, and there is actually some nightlife now (also walking distance).

If it were me, it would be Bellevue, no brainer, if not Redmond, as someone suggested.
Not really an issue in SLU. That's more Pioneer Square and parts of downtown. SLU is many blocks north from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area