Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 05:40 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,453,760 times

Advertisements

Everything but Totems comes across lame. It would be like someone other than Foghat being named the best rock band ever. Know what I mean? Just doesn't ring of truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 10:17 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,184,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Everything but Totems comes across lame. It would be like someone other than Foghat being named the best rock band ever. Know what I mean? Just doesn't ring of truth.
Totems huh? I'm feelin the Whales. Seattle Whales. Although I think the Seattle Freeze would be brilliant!

Old 12-06-2018, 11:27 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,668,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
That's rather lame. Intimidating chants of BOIMIA! BOIMIA! commeth, "Beware Our Inanimate Mystical Indigenous Ancestors". I don't know, I think we could do a lot better. Sock-eye is my choice, Kraken could work with proper marketing.
So true. There is nothing fun about Totems or Emeralds. And Rainier or Evergreens? A mountain or trees? Really? I'd take a fish over those. I'm proud of where I live too but inanimate objects are not great team names IMO.

We saw the Everett Silvertips play the Moose Jaw Canucks last year, which played off the whole Moose theme. That's why a name like Kraken sounds good, tons of marketing can be done with that.

Last edited by Seacove; 12-06-2018 at 11:39 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 08:15 AM

8,165 posts, read 8,251,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So true. There is nothing fun about Totems or Emeralds. And Rainier or Evergreens? A mountain or trees? Really? I'd take a fish over those. I'm proud of where I live too but inanimate objects are not great team names IMO.

We saw the Everett Silvertips play the Moose Jaw Canucks last year, which played off the whole Moose theme. That's why a name like Kraken sounds good, tons of marketing can be done with that.
Totally agree with Kraken. Maybe there are people who don't understand what it is, but clever marketing will cure that and present loads of marketing opportunities. Meanwhile, the rest of the country will not only be intimidated by our mascot but under their breath be saying "Damn those Seattle people, wish we had thought of that, they always have to creatively push the envelope" .

Old 12-07-2018, 11:57 AM

8,065 posts, read 8,325,306 times
On the other hand, they could choose a name with reference to Seattle's rich history:

Bostons - the first settlers were called "Bostons" by Native Americans.
Sluicers - the Seattle we know today was created by liberal use of the hydraulic sluice, a technology originating from the Klondike Gold Rush.
Black Cats - the symbol of the Wobblies (IWW or International Workers of the World), which led to the saying "the soviet of Washington and the 47 states". Has been used for a baseball team: The Aberdeen Black Cats.
Stampede - ala the Yukon Stampede.
Tyees - Chief Sealth, who Seattle was named after, was not a "chief", but a "tyee" (or "big man", loosely translated).
Skidders - the term "Skid Road" originated from Seattle (used to skid logs to the Denny Mill).
Pioneers - in reference to Pioneer Square, where Seattle's first settlers settled.
Beachers - the Denny Party first settled on Alki Beach, before switching to Pioneer Square.
Ripsaws - without the ripsaw, Seattle wouldn't exist.
Schooners - also essential to the founding of Seattle (in more ways than one).
Jammers - in reference to the windjammer, a sort of super-schooner (used in Seattle's early days to haul fish and logs to SF).
Toppers - the most dangerous logging job (sorry, "Chokers" is already taken, by GHCC).

Old 12-07-2018, 12:38 PM

8,813 posts, read 6,766,975 times
Those are clever but every one has serious problems.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:37 PM

8,065 posts, read 8,325,306 times
I'm liking the Jammers more and more. Can reference Seattle's sailing history (Windjammers) or historic Jackson Street jazz scene.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 12-07-2018 at 03:09 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 05:10 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,092,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

Sounders is a great name and derives from the puget sound.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:48 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,806,519 times
Did anyone notice that Seattle was awarded two new professional franchises this week on back to back days? Unfortunately, the 2nd was an XFL team as this league tries a re-start.

https://komonews.com/sports/sports-c...ootball-league

Old 12-07-2018, 07:23 PM

323 posts, read 447,518 times
Congrats to hockey fans. It will be interesting to see how much radio talk will be devoted to hockey on KIRO etc during baseball and football seasons. I'll be flipping stations if/when they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area