Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 18,570 times

Advertisements

I was offered teaching position in Highline County. Currently I teach in NYC and can afford to live here. Besides, I hate NYC. I have family and NYC is not good place to raise one. I want to move out of here and Washington State sounds tempting.
I’m looking for family oriented, not so expensive housing with good schools for my 13 years old son. Good ice hockey programs for my son (he is pretty good).
Also what are teachers making in the area?
Suggestions anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 04:16 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Do you mean the Highline School district or Highline Community College? (Because there is no Highline County in WA)....The Highline School District and college are in Burien, WA, which is on Puget Sound, and has less expensive housing than both Seattle and NYC.Don't know about ice hockey in the schools, and have heard not so great things about the Highline school district, but have heard good things about neighboring Des Moines.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:56 PM

thanks,
I meant Highline School district. Hockey does not have to be in the school and that is secondary importance in the whole idea.
Any good schools for 13 years old in the area?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:44 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
In those areas south of Seattle, Maple Valley and Kent are supposed to have great schools..Kent especially at the high school level. In Burien, where the Highline district is, Sylvester Middle School is considered pretty good. And John F Kennedy High school is a well regarded private school in Burien.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:48 AM

thank you for the info

Old 04-07-2008, 11:03 AM

534 posts, read 3,110,780 times
I've heard mixed things about Highline... When I lived in Seatac, all I can remember is the gun incident where a student was caught with UZI in his backpack because he received death threats from other students (probably gang related). Then I've heard from others it's not that bad.

My wife's cousin lives in that area and he has six kids (all under 10 though). I'll have to ask him next time I get the opportunity.

I don't think hockey is big in Seattle though. Probably because we rarely have any ice to skate on outside of a indoor rink.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:21 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,044,161 times
I seem to remember previous threads about parents asking about youth hockey programs in the south county area. I did a quick search and came up with these two but I think there were more. If you have time, search our forum a bit ...you might find other threads:

//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...ttle-area.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ey-tacoma.html

Old 04-09-2008, 09:13 AM

Thank you all for info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area