Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:33 AM

27 posts, read 117,758 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are slowly starting some house hunting after relocating to Seattle last July. We mentioned Burien to our North Shore based realtor, and I thought she was going to drop dead of shock. I understand that it has a reputation for high crime, but coming from DC pretty much anywhere in greater Seattle feels pretty safe to us (sad but true!).

We really like the Seahurst neighborhood, as well as some parts of Shorewood. It also seems that the area around Old Burien is really improving, especially with the new town square development. I've also heard good things about Normandy Park.

What do you think? Am I on the right track here? Is there anything I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 04:45 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
weisla,
I too like Burien, and I really dont think it's dangerous. downtown Burien used to be pretty bad, but it's improving a lot, especially SW 152nd(Old Burien) and the new Burien Town Square development a couple of blocks away. Seahurst Park is gorgeous..I go there fairly regularly for a nice hike uphill overlooking the water with my dog..Normandy Park has a Trader Joe's and a pretty good Greek restaurant, what more do you need?
The old reputation of Burien was that it was classless amd dangerous. It's not more dangerous than anywhere else, and class? ...They aren't starting the Burien Opera anytime soon, but they do have a great Italian restaurant, a wine bar, an Irish Pub, and a good Philly Cheesesteak place with homemade canoli and cheese cake. if that ain't culture, I don't know what is. I've been known to tell people that Burien is the new Ballard. It's neighbor Des Moines is prrety nice too.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
weisla,
They aren't starting the Burien Opera anytime soon, but they do have a great Italian restaurant, a wine bar, an Irish Pub, and a good Philly Cheesesteak place with homemade canoli and cheese cake. if that ain't culture, I don't know what is. I've been known to tell people that Burien is the new Ballard. It's neighbor Des Moines is prrety nice too.
Are you talking about Angelo's? I have friends in Burien and have been there many times.

Don't forget about the Highline Performing Arts Center. Quite a few community arts organizations such as Choral Sounds Northwest and the Northwest Symphony Orchestra perform there.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:51 AM

No, I was talking Osteria Da Primo on SW 152nd, but I like Angelo's too..And Filberto's down the road on Des Moines Drive makes top notch pizza.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:57 AM

534 posts, read 3,111,243 times
there are lots of nice areas in Burien, Des Moines. It's definitely improved over the past few years. If you don't have kids it's a very convenient location to live in.

It is not the new ballard though..

Old 04-07-2008, 11:02 AM

27 posts, read 117,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
weisla,
I too like Burien, and I really dont think it's dangerous. downtown Burien used to be pretty bad, but it's improving a lot, especially SW 152nd(Old Burien) and the new Burien Town Square development a couple of blocks away. Seahurst Park is gorgeous..I go there fairly regularly for a nice hike uphill overlooking the water with my dog..Normandy Park has a Trader Joe's and a pretty good Greek restaurant, what more do you need?
The old reputation of Burien was that it was classless amd dangerous. It's not more dangerous than anywhere else, and class? ...They aren't starting the Burien Opera anytime soon, but they do have a great Italian restaurant, a wine bar, an Irish Pub, and a good Philly Cheesesteak place with homemade canoli and cheese cake. if that ain't culture, I don't know what is. I've been known to tell people that Burien is the new Ballard. It's neighbor Des Moines is prrety nice too.
And it may even be easier to commute downtown from Burien than from Ballard. I didn't know about the Trader Joe's - that might just seal the deal
My husband lives in fear of me living too close to Trader Joe's!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:03 AM

4 posts, read 28,173 times
Hi Weisla, We will be in the same situation in about 2 years. We will move from Delaware to Seattle and I will be interested to know if you like Burien and move there. I LOVE Trader Joe's and I agree with you, it would be important to have one near. My son lives in Queen Anne and there is no way I could afford a small cottage there. We have 2 cats and a dog and in a condo I would not be allowed to feed birds( that is also important to me). Good luck house hunting!!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 9,220 times
I have lived in Burien for the last 4 years. and I will be moving out very soon. I do not feel that Burien is a safe place at all. There is way too many shootings and robbery's.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:02 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,905 times
We were in Burien for the first time last weekend, and the city, like most, seems to have at least a few bad areas. We are a couple of years away from wanting to move, but my wife and I went to see a new community called Shorewood View Estates. This development, with its gorgeous views and high prices, is gated, and I can see why. The surrounding neighborhood, especially on Ambaum, seemed kinda rough.

Last edited by MaikeerinWA; 05-06-2008 at 09:40 PM..

Old 05-06-2008, 09:27 PM

I think that captures south end towns in general. Each of the south end towns like Kent, Renton, Auburn, Burien, Tukwila, have some bad areas.
And each of these towns also have some great areas. Burien's got Three Tree Point, which is wonderful, but also has some sketchier parts north of downtown Burien around Ambaum.
I wouldn't rule out an entire city because that city has a bad area. If that were the case, most of the US would have to be disqualified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area