Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 09:49 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times

Advertisements

Maybe some locals can point out some of the lesser well known spots to buy some Salmon/halibut rite off the boats when they pull into dock. Or one of the better well know spots. I read that you can buy it quite a bit cheaper than in a store and obviously freshness would not be an issue. King Salmon and halibut are a treat!! But not at market prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 09:53 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Newport oregon for tuna, ocean salmon, rock fish and halibut.
White Salmon, WA for chinook.
I have my own source developed from my mom. I ain't telling.

Last edited by leastprime; 12-21-2018 at 10:14 PM..

Old 12-21-2018, 11:40 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
You used to be able to buy fresh fish now and then off boats in Fishermens Terminal in Magnolia. Not sure that happens any more. I go up north to Snohomish County for business sometimes. I have purchased smoked and fresh salmon from the Native American people down by the little marina on the Tulalip Reservation just west of Marysville.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:47 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
the last time I sourced salmon at realistic prices "right" off the boat was in the eighties. Fisherman usually charge full boar today.

Fresh Halibut is caught on the annual run between James Island and Victoria, BC. That's the only way I know you get it for the right price.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Newport oregon for tuna, ocean salmon, rock fish and halibut.
White Salmon, WA for chinook.
I have my own source developed from my mom. I ain't telling.
I totally respect that! I grew up on east coast on the water. Asking a question like this in public may give away some long kept secrets! But I still have to try. 😉

Old 12-22-2018, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
You used to be able to buy fresh fish now and then off boats in Fishermens Terminal in Magnolia. Not sure that happens any more. I go up north to Snohomish County for business sometimes. I have purchased smoked and fresh salmon from the Native American people down by the little marina on the Tulalip Reservation just west of Marysville.
Indian fishing boats? No **** ! Thanks for the tip. 👍

Old 12-22-2018, 04:52 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Completely forgot about these people, they pull up to docks, including Everett, Poulsbo and Tacoma. I remember prices being fairly attractive. I have bought big bags of spot prawns from them, very good. Here is the link, call them to check their schedule: Troller Point Fisheries – Wild Alaskan Seafood

Old 12-22-2018, 10:26 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
I totally respect that! I grew up on east coast on the water. Asking a question like this in public may give away some long kept secrets! But I still have to try. 😉
It's not because of the reason you think.
In the 70s and 80s, federal fishing regs changed to allow factory ships and domestic fishing trawlers very close to shores (forgot the distance but could have been as close as 3 miles) under pressure of seafood lobby. The new regs literally allowed the raping and pillaging of the local waters to where the fishery collapsed overnight after a few years. Conservation efforts finally were enacted after a very contentious debate to where most of the fisherman were bought out by you and I. The fisherman knew the overfishing, seabed damage, and taking of nursery, juvenile stock problems. Fisherman of the ocean and rivers and forest harvesters of old growth, discovered that unrestricted harvest of public resources do have their limits.

My fish source is in Pacific City, Ore, and is no use to you. I haven't bought fish or crab from him in 3 years ago, since we are empty nesters and our parents (except for my 99 yo father) have passed away. My sister inherited the PC house and I havent the need to hunt eastern softshell or other clams in 3 years.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Completely forgot about these people, they pull up to docks, including Everett, Poulsbo and Tacoma. I remember prices being fairly attractive. I have bought big bags of spot prawns from them, very good. Here is the link, call them to check their schedule: Troller Point Fisheries – Wild Alaskan Seafood
I emailed them for information. Dianna got back to me and said they won’t return to the docks until May.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
It's not because of the reason you think.
In the 70s and 80s, federal fishing regs changed to allow factory ships and domestic fishing trawlers very close to shores (forgot the distance but could have been as close as 3 miles) under pressure of seafood lobby. The new regs literally allowed the raping and pillaging of the local waters to where the fishery collapsed overnight after a few years. Conservation efforts finally were enacted after a very contentious debate to where most of the fisherman were bought out by you and I. The fisherman knew the overfishing, seabed damage, and taking of nursery, juvenile stock problems. Fisherman of the ocean and rivers and forest harvesters of old growth, discovered that unrestricted harvest of public resources do have their limits.

My fish source is in Pacific City, Ore, and is no use to you. I haven't bought fish or crab from him in 3 years ago, since we are empty nesters and our parents (except for my 99 yo father) have passed away. My sister inherited the PC house and I havent the need to hunt eastern softshell or other clams in 3 years.
I feel you mate......

I’m from LI NY. This Long Islander actually sat down and wrote a song about it. Or maybe he was standing.

https://youtu.be/LVlDSzbrH5M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area