Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 02:35 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Switch to transit? But aside from the water taxi, that's not an option for West Seattle. The transit used parts of the roadway system that are being dismantled.

Oh well. I guess there was no way to avoid a temporary disruption. It's a little strange for people who have to go to work, though. I guess they'll have to use the water taxi, and then transit once they're in downtown.

Buses will still go from West Seattle to downtown, just like before. They're just using routes that bypass the viaduct and construction, so it's very likely to make trip take at least a little longer.

The Water Taxi will certainly not be the only option, though it might be the best one for a lot of folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 04:13 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'm not sure whether you're implying that a replacement viaduct would have been cheap. This was actually studied...the estimates were lower but still in the billions....and the structure would have been wider and taller to boot.

Yes, companies are much better at gouging, er, ... I mean obtaining inflated government contracts in the modern era.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:55 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
The transit solution doesn't have to work for everybody to still be worth suggesting for others.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:26 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Default Yeah, it was unsightly but the views were mind blowing, bye bye viaduct.

On this last day of Seattle viaduct usage, cool little tribute someone made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilPwz0xEMBE

Old 01-11-2019, 05:43 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Buses will still go from West Seattle to downtown, just like before. They're just using routes that bypass the viaduct and construction, so it's very likely to make trip take at least a little longer.

The Water Taxi will certainly not be the only option, though it might be the best one for a lot of folks.
Thank you. This is the info I was hoping for. So there IS an alternate route for bus transit! People are not stranded. Thank you!

Old 01-11-2019, 06:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
That highway view will be gone as of tonight. That is the really only sad thing about the end of the Viaduct.

Did anyone see the last ride-along with Mayor Durkan?

https://komonews.com/news/sr-99-tunn...r-jenny-durkan

I like Jenny as mayor. However, note that at one point in the vid she says "I'm gonna go slow here". She was in the left lane at the time! How ironically poetic.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:40 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thank you. This is the info I was hoping for. So there IS an alternate route for bus transit! People are not stranded. Thank you!
https://westseattleblog.com/2019/01/...nned-saturday/

Quote:
To manage the increased volume of traffic on our city’s streets and changing traffic patterns in advance of the SR closure beginning Friday, January 11, we’re rechannelizing key streets downtown starting Saturday, January 5. Streets include the Spokane Street Viaduct, the eastbound off-ramp to 4th Ave S and a short section of 4th Ave S approaching Spokane St.

These dedicated bus-only lanes will allow buses coming in from West Seattle to access the SODO busway and improve bus travel time throughout the SR 99 closure.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:19 PM

1,155 posts, read 961,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
On this last day of Seattle viaduct usage, cool little tribute someone made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilPwz0xEMBE
Thanks for that. I was curious to see what it was like. I've lived in Seattle on and off (mostly on) for 15 years, but I NEVER dared to drive on the Alaskan Way Viaduct. Not after seeing what happened to people who were driving on the Cypress Street Viaduct in Oakland when the big Quake of 1989 hit.

I'm glad they're tearing it down. I hope that the waterfront opens up and becomes more beautiful for everyone to enjoy, just as the waterfront did in San Francisco when the Embarcadero Freeway was torn down following the 1989 earthquake.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:51 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Seattle's Alaskan Way Viaduct. Born April 4, 1953. Died January 11th, 2019, at age 65. R.I.P.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:20 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Thank you, Donkey. My friend in W Seattle refused to believe that an accommodation like this was being made. He's a bit of an alarmist and curmudgeon.

"...we have rechannelized..." Who writes this stuff? Who told the writer "rechannelized" was a word? Oh well. lol. That's Seattle for you, I guess....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area