Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 12:55 AM

355 posts, read 990,384 times

Advertisements

What is up with all the animal abuse I see on the news here? Tonight that beautiful lab who was shot in the leg....and had to have it amputated. And last week the dog that was shot with an arrow and later passed away. And the poor dog that was running around with a choker chain digging in to his neck. This makes me sick and so sad.

I have seen regular newscasts since I've moved to Seattle with animal neglect and abuse....horses being starved, dogs being abused. I am the mom to a couple of rescue dogs.....this news just breaks my heart.

I'm not sure if this happened with the same frequency in other places I've lived and just wasn't reported as much or what. I'm thinking that might be the case because everyone here seems to love dogs. That's the one time I can count on seeing smiles from folks....when I'm walking my oh so spoiled, lovable buddies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 01:14 AM

36 posts, read 149,115 times
I hear about often too in the papers. Utterly disgusting. However Seattle is a very liberal, peace and animal loving city. It seems that it is often the rural towns where the abuse happens, usually involving young males. Very sick. Pasado's Law was created to enforce harsher penalties in Washington State (which I hear has harsher penalties than a lot of other states) to punish those charged with it. IMO, I think they should get ten years automatically for killing or torturing an animal. Here is the WA state law for animal abuse, first degree:

"16.52.205 Animal cruelty in first degree
Summary: Prohibits intentionally inflicting substantial pain, causing physical injury or killing an animal by means causing undue suffering or forcing a minor to inflict unnecessary pain, injury or death on an animal.
Penalty: Class C Felony, maximum five yrs confinement and/or maximum $10,000 fine. (16.52.200) Court also must order forfeiture if one of the animals involved in violation dies or if there were prior convictions. Court may order forfeiture if the treatment is severe or likely to reoccur. If forfeiture ordered, owner must be prohibited from owning or caring for similar animals for two years. Convicted offender will be liable for reasonable expenses including investigation and animal's care, euthanasia or adoption. Also $1,000 civil fine to county to prevent animal cruelty. Also participation in cruelty prevention program or psych. treatment may be ordered at offender's expense."

Pasado's Safe Haven in an organization that was created after the abuse and subsequent death of a poor donkey in 1992. You can read about his story here, but it may be too graphic (as I am now in tears after reading it again)

Pasado's Story (http://www.pasadosafehaven.org/PASADOSTORY/Pasado_story.htm - broken link)

But of course the horror stories are the ones that make the news. Seattle is a very pet friendly city, and caters to all types of animals. There are numerous dog parks and pet lovers everywhere. You will find that most folks in Seattle are very passionate about their pets. It is more animal friendly than the city I am visiting now (Tucson, AZ) for sure! People down here actually keep their dogs outside year round, including in 100 plus degree weather. It is sad but it is just the way of life down here in this southwestern town.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:38 PM

23 posts, read 107,031 times
Food for thought: A recent survey found that most people believe violent crime is getting worse in the US, when in fact, statistics show that is in fact been on a steady decline for a number of years. Where do you think that comes from? Same thing goes for perceived number of animal abuse cases (anyone notice how long the illegal whaling story was front page news?).

Old 04-09-2008, 04:05 AM

395 posts, read 1,363,417 times
I think there are crazies everywhere. IMO. I mean look at Omak,WA famous for their "suicide race". But there are sooo many animal lovers out here! Which is one of the main reasons I like it here.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:54 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,428,189 times
Default Animal abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
What is up with all the animal abuse I see on the news here? Tonight that beautiful lab who was shot in the leg....and had to have it amputated. And last week the dog that was shot with an arrow and later passed away. And the poor dog that was running around with a choker chain digging in to his neck. This makes me sick and so sad.

I have seen regular newscasts since I've moved to Seattle with animal neglect and abuse....horses being starved, dogs being abused. I am the mom to a couple of rescue dogs.....this news just breaks my heart.

I'm not sure if this happened with the same frequency in other places I've lived and just wasn't reported as much or what. I'm thinking that might be the case because everyone here seems to love dogs. That's the one time I can count on seeing smiles from folks....when I'm walking my oh so spoiled, lovable buddies.

Yes it is very sad how people abuse animals. Here in Alaska, if you shoot a moose, you had darn well better have a good reason. Otherwise, you are facing a big fine and possible jail time. We've had horrendous stories here also of people starving horses, dogs...it does make one sick! I love animals and cannot understand cruelty to them. It is not tolerated well up here but it still goes on.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:05 PM

355 posts, read 990,384 times
Thanks for the responses. When I had posted this, I had just heard about the dog who lost his leg on the news. And the poor thing was hopping around on his other three. It makes me just sick. Glad to know that the penalties are harsh here in WA. I guess there has just been a rash of these incidents lately. I sure hope they catch these awful people.

I don't know how anybody can be so totally mean and uncaring to these beautiful animals. How do they possibly live with themselves?

When it comes to dogs (loves of my life), they are so loyal and bring me so much joy....and ask for very little in return. My kids always tease me and say I'll be one of those strange old ladies with a bunch of dogs LOL. But I know that 3 is my limit....well, maybe 4. And I so believe in choosing one from the rescue....of course, it tugs at my heart for the ones I don't take home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: