Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2019, 07:23 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,303 posts, read 6,951,163 times

Advertisements

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-olympia-bill/

Really...don't people in western Washington realize how dangerous black ice conditions are throughout eastern Washington?? Eastern Washington has the worst black ice conditions in the entire country.

Sheer terror....is going down a 20% grade on a county road at ONE MPH....with no guard rails and 200 feet to the creek....AND HEARING YOUR ANTI_LOCK BRAKES COME ON....because you took your studded tires off a couple of weeks early.

So are roads more important than peoples lives???

I guess that must be true for those elected officials from west of the Cascades!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 08:40 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,066,123 times
Studded tires damage the roads more than semi trucks. I-90 for example is so bumpy mainly due to studded tires. If states like Illinois and Minnesota don't use them, Eastern Washington that is no colder than them, shouldn't either.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:10 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,211,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-olympia-bill/

Really...don't people in western Washington realize how dangerous black ice conditions are throughout eastern Washington?? Eastern Washington has the worst black ice conditions in the entire country.

Sheer terror....is going down a 20% grade on a county road at ONE MPH....with no guard rails and 200 feet to the creek....AND HEARING YOUR ANTI_LOCK BRAKES COME ON....because you took your studded tires off a couple of weeks early.

So are roads more important than peoples lives???

I guess that must be true for those elected officials from west of the Cascades!!
Interesting article: https://www.outsideonline.com/235900...inter-car-prep

Old 02-03-2019, 09:15 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,756,555 times
Studded tires are a relic of the past. Today's best snow tires can handle most winter conditions just fine. I have lived in Eastern WA off and on for the past 30 years. Never had studded tires. Ever.

And as mentioned, they tear up the highways.

And also as mentioned, midwest states with much worse winter conditions have outlawed them.

I think 509 is being a little overly dramatic here.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 02-03-2019 at 09:34 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 09:31 PM

14,337 posts, read 11,825,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post

I think 509 is being a little overly dramatic here.

Agreed.

And we have studded snow tires on our truck.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Agreed.

And we have studded snow tires on our truck.
Why do you have studded tires in western Washington??

I didn’t take a lot of physics classes, but stopping on black ice is pretty tough without studs.

You remember the U of W marching band bus this fall....that was black ice. IF the members of the marching band would have been killed in the accident would people in western Washington feel different??

We stud ONE vehicle in our household for driving on ice in winter and have done so since the population explosion over here....since 1990. Before then it didn’t matter since you were only going to kill yourself!!!

Studs do cause road damage. The state should ban them for western Washington residents. Right now, we send our gas tax dollars over to western Washington.

Let’s keep the money over here and spend on the roads......save lives.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:05 PM

14,337 posts, read 11,825,565 times
Quote:

Because my dad bought them (I inherited the truck, and the two sets of tires with it) so it would be silly not to use them.

We get quite a bit of black ice and some snow in winter (have some this morning as a matter of fact!) and we have more hills than you do! Why shouldn't we have them if you can? I've driven plenty in winter on both sides. I think studs are best for compact snow and ice... black ice, I agree with the article, good rubber may make better contact than metal studs.

But we have to drive a lot in winter for farm and for business... so we want to be safe as can be if it snows.

RE The hyperbole and hysterics...

Old 02-04-2019, 08:50 PM

When the U of W marching band rolled on black ice....what the news didn't report was that the previous two days there were THREE fatalities within 20 miles of that spot.

Varies by winter, but black ice fatalities are rather common over here.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,605 posts, read 57,568,971 times
We get plenty of Black Ice on the We_tside (as in today) (West Gorge dweller)

I suit up with all 4 studded on at least one vehicle per type.

I trust it will not pass... but...
I have plenty of studs to last me to 2025 and I have my own stud gun and tire machine anyway.

Climate change should make WA about AZ temps by 2025 (if need be).

I imagine there will be 'exempt' areas (such as we have MANDATORY chains Nov / Apr, and as a trucker I can do some serious damage with crossbar chains tugging 80,000# up 12 % grades) My <2,000# econo cars do pretty minimal damage. (As do evil diesel VW's over their LIFETIME compared to ONE aircraft takeoff...102,000 of them / day @ 700 - 1000 gal per take-off... ).

Old 02-11-2019, 09:35 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,701,894 times
Quote:

I didn’t take a lot of physics classes, but stopping on black ice is pretty tough without studs.

You remember the U of W marching band bus this fall....that was black ice. IF the members of the marching band would have been killed in the accident would people in western Washington feel different??

We stud ONE vehicle in our household for driving on ice in winter and have done so since the population explosion over here....since 1990. Before then it didn’t matter since you were only going to kill yourself!!!

Studs do cause road damage. The state should ban them for western Washington residents. Right now, we send our gas tax dollars over to western Washington.

Let’s keep the money over here and spend on the roads......save lives.
I have a hard time understanding what point you are trying to make. However, if you don't like to drive in the winter then stay home on icy days. Or but winter tires, which work really well on icy roads. Problem solved.

I don't know how I have survived living in the Great Lakes area, and Alaska, and Iceland, all without studs. The horror of it all!

I also just love the hyperbole in the article - "But $400 is “real money for people on a fixed income,” Mark Johnson of the Washington Retailers Association said." Really? Pretty much everyone not on commission is on a fixed income. So sick of that term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: