Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 11:17 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,163 times

Advertisements

Bluefox, I know the 3 & 4 buses typically traverse James between First Hill and downtown. I would check out what their snow routes are, they are indicated on the route maps online. Looks like they avoid James and take Broadway south to Boren, 12th, then Jackson.
https://kingcounty.gov/depts/transpo...aspx#route-map

I took the 8 from the Central District to the Whole Foods at Westlake today. The snow route had us taking Union west, to Broadway, over to Pine into downtown. Avoiding Denny.

The bus snow routes are a pretty good guide for minimizing steep hills and I assume (perhaps wrongly) that those routes are given some priority for keeping clear of snow and ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 12:05 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I need to decide whether I should drive to work tomorrow. I really need to be there for an appointment I’d rather not cancel or push off onto a coworker, but I’m nervous about driving down the hill to get to I-5. Anyone know how the roads are currently in Capitol or First Hills? I normally take James and I’m pretty nervous because it’s a steep decline between Broadway and the freeway.
I live in the Highlands and have to travel 2 big hills to get down to town. A good rule of thumb is 9X out of 10 they will treat/plow hills. (For obvious reasons) Sure enough when I went out today the roads were unplowed and icy. But when I got to the hills they were treated. Not a 100% clean, but safe enough to go up and down.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:41 AM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I need to decide whether I should drive to work tomorrow. I really need to be there for an appointment I’d rather not cancel or push off onto a coworker, but I’m nervous about driving down the hill to get to I-5. Anyone know how the roads are currently in Capitol or First Hills? I normally take James and I’m pretty nervous because it’s a steep decline between Broadway and the freeway.
Bluefox, My wife and I were up in the Pike/Pine area this eve grabbing takeout from our fave Bok a Bok chicken. Main roads were pretty decent. They should all be fine, I'd say Madison has the most gradual grade from Broadway to I-5.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
All Seattle schools are closed again, there has to be a good reason for it. On the news this morning they showed several streets (on hills) closed in Seattle.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:11 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,665,433 times
I think (fear???) the fun part has yet to come. Cliff Mass has hinted at an even more impressive system coming this weekend. It'll be hard, if not impossible, to clear all this out before we get more.

I can't recall having lived with more than a week of snow on the ground since I moved from the upper midwest.

And I don't miss it...

Old 02-05-2019, 08:51 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,877 times
Wow. sounds like snow is rare in the Emerald city? Enjoy it while you have it and I'll see you all in July!

Old 02-05-2019, 09:28 AM

15,822 posts, read 6,532,470 times
Had to walk in to work this morning. The roadways are much too treacherous.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Had to walk in to work this morning. The roadways are much too treacherous.
I'm working from home again. Our roads were plowed yesterday but having frozen overnight you cannot even walk without slipping, and it's all down steep hills to get anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Snow storm in the Emerald City!-img_3025.jpg  

Old 02-05-2019, 11:22 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,143,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I think (fear???) the fun part has yet to come. Cliff Mass has hinted at an even more impressive system coming this weekend. It'll be hard, if not impossible, to clear all this out before we get more.

I can't recall having lived with more than a week of snow on the ground since I moved from the upper midwest.

And I don't miss it...
Christmas storms, 2008. Each one "a lot", depending on where you were, I'm thinking about 8" and 10". Not enough plows, so no one went anywhere awhile. It went from amusing to "a drag" in about five days...

Someone actually plowed my street yesterday in residential Kirkland, first thing, which opened it up after being shut down all night. Must say, I was pleased, but I'm on a school bus route. Other streets, not so much.

After first round, and hours before Round #2 hit Mill Creek, 12/21/08:

Old 02-05-2019, 11:26 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,143,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
All Seattle schools are closed again, there has to be a good reason for it. On the news this morning they showed several streets (on hills) closed in Seattle.
The sheet of ice on many roads may have something to do with it...it was all the way up to 20 degrees by 8:30am.

Kirkland is treacherous, but passable, this AM. Took the 911 C4 out, did just fine though it has summer tires and I skated around a bit trying to stop: no surprise there. Gave me a great excuse to sweep the driveway, which I'd blown off earlier, and it couldn't get up the mild grade upon my return. My own fault...solved in 5 min w/whisk broom.

It does not look like a snow-beast, but w/snow tires the AWD version 911s (C4 and Turbo) are exceptional in the snow due to rear weight bias. Needed an excuse for some eggs, milk, cheese, and ...fresh apples of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area