Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 PM

14,416 posts, read 11,959,919 times

Advertisements

You are welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 08:27 PM

3,627 posts, read 2,902,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I've complained on this very board about how we coddle crazies and bums.

As for protecting myself, any grownup (men at least) can walk down the street and be protected by their own smarts and actions, without a crutch, even with the crazies around.

Skittish types like you tend to act out of fear, and pull their guns when their lives aren't being threatened. That's when things get out of hand.

Really? I been mugged twice at gunpoint near my home and had a crazy tell me he would like to slice me open up once. Does that not warrant some kind of protection for myself at some point? This all happened in Seattle. Have you ever have someone point at gun at your head like I have?? Do you know what it feels like to have someone put a piston on your back and demand money?? Before you make such rude comments about someone think a little and ask why are are resorting to buying a gun??

FWIW, I was blindsided by the gun muggings. Any self defense could have been death. My back was turned and I saw no one coming at me till it was too late. You really are just an ignorant person.

Last edited by 87112; 02-19-2019 at 08:59 PM..

Old 02-20-2019, 04:58 AM

8,165 posts, read 8,253,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Wondering if anyone has eaten at the taco truck on 12th and King Street. I have been going there for lunches for a couple of years and within the last couple of months have felt unsafe during the day. Numerous times total nutcases talking and screaming to themselves are in the area and these people are dangerous deranged. There is very little police presence there.

I have a concealed gun permit and will be looking at buying my 1st firearm soon. Many parts of Seattle are downright dangerous now. Lets not kid ourselves the homeless problem is getting worse and worse. I feel sorry for the business that have to deal with these problems day in and day out, I would be very worried about my safety all the time in the area. The homeless and mental cases have ruined Chinatown in a way.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/12...4d-122.3171814
Your contention that many parts of Seattle are "downright dangerous now" just isn't true. There are a few parts of the city that are sketchy, tell me a city that that isn't the case. Most parts of Seattle are just fine, statistics just don't back up your claim. Maybe you meant to use the word "some" instead of "many".

Old 02-20-2019, 12:06 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,116,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would recommend a book Titled "In The Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob.

It's a good book for thinking through all of the important considerations we should think through before carrying concealed weapons.

One takeaway I got from the book is we should arm ourselves to defend against unpredictable and unavoidable risks... We should not arm ourselves in order to willingly walk into a situation where we believe we might actually need it.

There is a subtle difference in perspective there that is important. FWIW, most people understand the difference the moment they are actually armed. Far from feeling emboldened in risky areas, it makes most people more alert and risk avoiding than they were before...
This is quite sage. That you read Ayoob is interesting, he's quite the character in the scene past (about) thirty years. Not surprised he said something like this, as a professional witness, instructor, LEO of some kind, reviewer, etc. I do believe his time as a professional witness was the "most" informative for him.

Could not possibly agree more with the above. I am virtually always carrying in greatest reluctance of the necessity, for precisely that reason. If you can avoid trouble, damn well better. But when it finds you anyway...if you're not running, you'd better be doing "something."

I keep well clear of the vagrants. On very rare occasion they are genuinely dangerous and kill or seriously wound the innocent. And that would be a really bad day, most of all for how it reflects on our mental health services.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:35 PM

14,416 posts, read 11,959,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
This is quite sage. That you read Ayoob is interesting, he's quite the character in the scene past (about) thirty years. Not surprised he said something like this, as a professional witness, instructor, LEO of some kind, reviewer, etc. I do believe his time as a professional witness was the "most" informative for him.

Yes, I've read a few of his books!... I don't think there's anyone who has written as much on the subject, I think he's pretty universally respected. In the Gravest Extreme was a gift from my father, along with my first gun many years ago. And I agree and try to live by the wisdom below, too:

Quote:
If you can avoid trouble, damn well better. But when it finds you anyway...if you're not running, you'd better be doing "something."

Old 02-21-2019, 01:48 PM

13,034 posts, read 7,433,145 times
I thought I posted a comment of property owners should take care of their properties to maintain and increase their value. JMO but I think that is a fundamental for ownership. We'll see if the new building, Modera Jackson and the other new apartment builds on the same block, will have an impact?

Last edited by leastprime; 02-21-2019 at 02:27 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 02:39 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,863,852 times
I recall I went for a Seattle walk maybe 20 years ago and ventured into the International District. I recall it being very active, lot's of people and commerce moving and the great smells coming from the restaurants. I love a busy working class neighborhood, I think more interesting sights, sounds, (and smells) that come with diversity.

The only questionable folks I saw that weren't busy were the rare vagrant type.

It's unfortunate that has changed.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:30 AM

15,740 posts, read 6,451,442 times
I used to work downtown. There's quite a few dubious characters around, although I only felt threatened by the occasional aggressive panhandler. Plus a gang fight I saw outside the McDonalds once. Glad I live in the burbs now though.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:47 PM

13,034 posts, read 7,433,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
The food is just as good as the places in Tijuana. The stand would be missed if its ever goes away.
Late Feb, I was arriving/leaving to Seattle, Had 2 for $3 tacos. Beef and Pork. Chunky, real, meat. I am not a great connoisseur of tacos or tex-mex so I can't give a rating. I do remember that weather was a little windy and the tacos got cold fast.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:10 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,289,641 times
Outside of the tacos, it's not Seattle's most savory spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: