Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 01:26 PM

361 posts, read 398,440 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Hawaii where the concept of Daylight Savings was not observed. So when I moved to California after high school to attend college, I was really skeptical and not used to changing the time one hour behind in November, and one hour ahead in March.

After learning about changing our clock time after having worked in various cities, Chicago, Indy, DC and Bay Area, I got used to changing my time during these times of the year.

Recently, WA lawmakers are debating whether WA needs to observe daylight savings time.

I honestly hope and pray that WA does get RID of observing daylight savings. I quite frankly, do NOT like daylight savings time.

I always get tired for about one week after having to change my clock time. Even if it is for one hour time difference.

What do you guys think about this daylight savings time concept?

Here is an article regarding WA lawmakers debating today about daylight savings time from King5 website.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...f-f2ad7b07e960
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 01:34 PM

353 posts, read 934,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
I honestly hope and pray that WA does get RID of observing daylight savings. I quite frankly, do NOT like daylight savings time.
I agree.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:40 PM

361 posts, read 398,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindtom View Post
I agree.
Exactly!

Old 02-20-2019, 03:01 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
I'm fine either way but our winter days are very short in December and would be even shorter without daylight savings time. Looks like OP plans to return to Hawaii so why does it matter?

Old 02-20-2019, 03:22 PM

609 posts, read 303,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm fine either way but our winter days are very short in December and would be even shorter without daylight savings time. Looks like OP plans to return to Hawaii so why does it matter?
Winter days are not affected by Daylight Saving time. That is unless we switch to permanent DST, which means winter days' sunset would be one hour later, i.e. today's sunset time would be 6:40 pm instead of 5:40 pm, so I'm not sure what you mean either way.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:02 PM

59 posts, read 54,477 times
Don 't really know which is which, but would prefer sunset at 6:40 instead of 5:40

Old 02-20-2019, 06:11 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
What? The winter days would be the same as they are now. It's the summer days that would get dark at around 9 pm instead of 10 pm, which is fine by me. Just curious: does Alaska have DST? If so, what on earth for??

Old 02-20-2019, 06:38 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What? The winter days would be the same as they are now. It's the summer days that would get dark at around 9 pm instead of 10 pm, which is fine by me. Just curious: does Alaska have DST? If so, what on earth for??
Yes, I flipped it. However, you live in New Mexico, right? Aren't their days fairly equal?

Old 02-20-2019, 09:08 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
Having lived in Hawai'i and Arizona (only the reservation changes time), I'm totally on board with this idea and frequently thought that after moving here about 5 years ago.

Quote:
Yes, I flipped it. However, you live in New Mexico, right? Aren't their days fairly equal?
Having also lived in New Mexico, the days weren't fairly equal where I was (northern half of the state). They were much more equal in Hawai'i, with about an hour's difference between winter and summer sunset times.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:35 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Wrong. Summer days would be "shorter". It would get dark at 8:30. I would support daylight savings all year which means it would get dark at 5:30 in December which makes days feel longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: