Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 11:50 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaldealer View Post
I see, wise advice, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

My wife was planning to find work as an elementary school teacher as well. What are your thoughts on Renton as being a good medium between the city and areas with good school systems?
Renton has both high- and low-scoring schools, with the higher tending to be further south and east. Note, however, with the demographic shifts occurring in the area, nothing is certain, say, four to five years down the road - generally speaking, test scores are highly correlated with family income.

One thing arguing in favor of living in Seattle, proper, is universal preschool, with sliding-scale tuition, starting at three, which is only a couple years down the road for you. See:

Seattle Preschool Program - Education | seattle.gov

https://www.seattleschools.org/depar...school_program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 11:47 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legaldealer View Post
Hi everyone,

I am planning to move to the Seattle area for a job in South Seattle with my spouse and 1 infant child.

Is it feasible to commute M-F from areas more North (Bothell, Mountlake Terrace, Edmonds) with a car?

Or is my best option to look for a place further south? (Renton, Kent, Federal Way)

Are there safe areas where I could find a 2 bedroom to rent for around $2,000/month?

Just in my initial stages of research so I would really appreciate any feedback and insights.

Thank you
My daughter and SIL are getting ready to move to Seattle and also plan to rent for at least a year. The agent they are working with is steering them away from Kent as an undesirable area.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:22 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
My daughter and SIL are getting ready to move to Seattle and also plan to rent for at least a year. The agent they are working with is steering them away from Kent as an undesirable area.
There are parts of Kent that are just fine, though you'll find the school test scores (and cost of homes/rentals) higher in Renton.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:42 PM

8 posts, read 4,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can afford Beacon Hill and adjacent Columbia City. Stick with those for now. Scope out other areas after you get a rental. For buying, also consider Seward Park, which is a beautiful more upscale neighborhood near Columbia City, overlooking Lake Washington on its east side. All of those are within Seattle city limits, within an easy commute of Beacon Hill. I'm not sure about the affordability, but I wanted to call Seward Park to your attention, since it's near enough to your work. Should have good grade schools. Would be a great place for your wife to work, if she could luck into a school there.

After you get moved, you'll see what we mean about locating close to work and avoiding a freeway commute. What looks easily doable on a map is a very different beast on the ground and in your car. Trust us. And you can test-drive the route from Renton to your job a couple of times at the end of your workday, just to see what it's like.

There are some surprisingly nice properties and neighborhoods south of the areas mentioned here, before you get to Renton. Some listings from that area have been posted here, and they're amazingly affordable, and some have large, nicely treed lots. Some are near the Japanese garden in the far south end of Seattle.

Take your time to familiarize yourselves with the areas under discussion, the driving conditions, and so on, while you're in your 1-year rental. You can study the schools, etc. Who knows, maybe your best bet will turn out to be Renton, but you should try the commute, first, and also see if any closer-in locations could fit your bill.
Thanks for the very detailed responses, they are extremely helpful! Seward Park looks gorgeous! But definitely out of our price range

You have all instilled a fear of the commute so we will look closely at areas in the city and try to minimize commute distances. We are trying to keep the rent at max $2,000/month for a 2 bed/2 bath. The cost of daycare is another factor we are considering, which seems more expensive in the city.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:49 PM

8 posts, read 4,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Renton has both high- and low-scoring schools, with the higher tending to be further south and east. Note, however, with the demographic shifts occurring in the area, nothing is certain, say, four to five years down the road - generally speaking, test scores are highly correlated with family income.

One thing arguing in favor of living in Seattle, proper, is universal preschool, with sliding-scale tuition, starting at three, which is only a couple years down the road for you. See:

Seattle Preschool Program - Education | seattle.gov

https://www.seattleschools.org/depar...school_program
I was not aware of this, looks like a great program!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area