Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 01:47 PM

1,304 posts, read 855,586 times

Advertisements

From your original post it looked like you were looking for jobs as a home health aide, which I don't think pays all that much...might be why people were confused. If you are looking for a job in a hospital, you might want to look around First Hill, as that's where the hospitals are...although there is also NW Hospital in North Seattle. You might want to take a look at Capitol Hill Housing Authority eligibility....not sure if you would qualify, or how long the wait might be. I signed up with them many years ago when I first moved to Seattle. Wait was 5 months, but I eventually got a nice studio apartment...no roommates anyway. Others may have more up-to-date info on that than I do, or have other suggestions. Wish you luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 02:30 PM

606 posts, read 419,500 times
I'm not an aide thank god. I have been an LPN for close to a year. I've managed to not have difficulty in finding work and getting an interview before even coming. I'll be staying in home health, even if I decided to eventually get my RN I'll still be in home health. I do NOT miss the drama, cliques or being overworked. And the agencies seem to have better cases than my current agency (no dementia patients or people that are heavy) so I have a good feeling that I'm in a good spot.

I make just a little too much for public housing by at least 10 or 15k and i wouldn't live there anyway. It's easier in my position to save a few grand in 3 months or less and get a place like everyone else.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:47 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
OP, you don't want a room in a shared place, but you've never had your own place before. IDK what your space requirements would be, but I'm guessing not extensive, since you're used to living in a room. So, in the interests of securing lower rent as you take the plunge, as a first-time Seattle resident,-- a micro-apartment? They're mainly on Capital Hill, so it depends on where your job is located, but there are several buildings there, with micros. Also, since you said, that if you had to rent a room, you'd want to be among people your age, check out "apodments", also mostly on Capital Hill, and First Hill, but there are also a few buildings of them in the University District. An apodment is a cluster of rooms each with its own bath, around a kitchen & living area.

Be careful as you search for actual 1-br. apartments. Some Apodment building mgrs. advertise the apodment rooms as "studios". Also, there are units advertised as 1-br. that are not legally 1-br. They're a large studio with sliding doors that create a sleeping alcove.

There's false advertising out there. But the north end area (Lake City, Greenwood, Victory Heights, Northgate) generally don't have those problems.

Good luck! Let us know how you do.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I initially didn't consider cap hill or first hill since the 1 bedroom apartments are out of my target range. The biggest thing I'd own ( if I can get it shipped) is an artist's wooden easel.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:47 PM

Seriously not trying to harp on this, but Seattle is expensive. Some of the rents on these "subsidized" one bedrooms are over $1,000 a month. 80% of income is over $50,000 a year for one person. Some of these buildings look new and are pretty nice....

https://www.capitolhillhousing.org/findyourapartment/

Old 03-30-2019, 01:42 PM

It's not more expensive than NYC and San Fran and LA. I rest my case on this point.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:05 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Seriously not trying to harp on this, but Seattle is expensive. Some of the rents on these "subsidized" one bedrooms are over $1,000 a month. 80% of income is over $50,000 a year for one person. Some of these buildings look new and are pretty nice....

https://www.capitolhillhousing.org/findyourapartment/
The OP isn't looking for subsidized housing, and he's coming from NYC, which makes Seattle look like a bargain. I only suggested cheap options, because he only has $3000 as a buffer, while he gets his footing in town and waits for his first paycheck to come in.Of course, he'd have to sign a lease, but maybe he could find a 6-month one.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:43 PM

Haha I am a she. But actually in real life I look pretty adrogynous even though I am small. The cards look favorable. It seems the company I am working with wanna get me in as fast as possible and rents seem to be lower than usual. I've been studying them past 2 months or so.

But I will give two of the places I'm thinking of a try. They strike me as month to month type places. And what if a place lists 'none' as a lease length?

Old 03-31-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The OP isn't looking for subsidized housing, and he's coming from NYC, which makes Seattle look like a bargain. I only suggested cheap options, because he only has $3000 as a buffer, while he gets his footing in town and waits for his first paycheck to come in.Of course, he'd have to sign a lease, but maybe he could find a 6-month one.
LOL! I think I just worry about anyone moving to Seattle and hope they know what they are getting into!

Old 03-31-2019, 12:52 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Nothing wrong with M-M, at least for the first month. the 1-2 months will give you time to scout out the environs. GL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area