Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:20 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,758 times

Advertisements

What's the eye roll for? I'm not the one who said it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
I remember the big gang wars in Bellevue between the Taupes and the Mauves.
Yeah and don't forget the Beiges. My wife was a floral designer at Michael's in Bellevue for many years and always talks about "Bellevue Beige".

Ken

Old 04-23-2008, 06:03 PM

20 posts, read 89,182 times
What is the general opinion on gays and lesbians in Bellevue? Is Bellevue a suburb of Seattle? Excuse my ignorance but I have never been there but it is a place I would love to see.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersperry View Post
What is the general opinion on gays and lesbians in Bellevue? Is Bellevue a suburb of Seattle? Excuse my ignorance but I have never been there but it is a place I would love to see.
No problem with gays and lesbians in Bellevue (or Seattle in general as near I can tell). My wife and I are very good friends with a gay couple (as a couple, they are probably the best friends we ever had, actually (odd as that may sound)) - though we don't live that close to them anymore and rarely see them now. Still, for probably 6 years we saw them almost every week-end (went out to the movies, had dinner, etc) and I can't say as I ever remember hearing or seeing any kind of problems - especially not in Bellevue.

And yes, Bellevue is a suburb of Seattle. It's across Lake Washington from Seattle and is generally reached by either of two floating bridges or going around the lake. It is EXTREMELY affluent and growing rapidly, with a great many skyscapers of it's own now. Except for the traffic and the high cost living, it's a great place to live - green, with wonderful (and well-maintained) parks and greenbelts and quite low crime.

Ken

Old 04-23-2008, 07:22 PM

Thank you so much, Ken. I really appreciate the information and the quick reply. I have heard so many great things about the area that it is hard to not want to go there. What is the heat like in the summer? Thanks again

Old 04-23-2008, 07:32 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Summers in the Seattle area are absolutely delightful, just too short. It rarely gets too hot, and from July 5th through mid to late September there are a lot of sunny days with highs in the 70's to low 80's. It has a habit of raining on July 4th.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:59 PM

Ira500 is right (for the most part). Seattle summers are generally very nice - sunny (despite Seattle's rainy reputation) and with pleasant temps. If you are looking for HOT weather this is not the place however, and as mentioned, our nice weather is a bit shorter than I would like however, and every once and while (such as last year) we have a summer that more or less fails to materialize (with average highs in Seattle proper only topping out around 77/78 or so (probably closer to 80 in Bellevue)) if you have a "cool" summer it's a bit cool indeed. Most summers, as mentioned, however, are pretty nice.

When I retire however (if not before) we're moving to Arizona (we like blue skies and warm weather).

Ken

Old 04-27-2008, 03:02 PM

Wow, Ken. You must really love the heat. I went to visit my mom in Phoenix about 2 summers ago and it was over 100 degrees at 11:00pm. I walked right into the pool with all my clothes on! Whew, that was too hot for me. I am not a hot summer girl. I live in So Cal now and it gets too hot for me here let alone in Phoenix. Also, there is a really high crime rate there so please do your research before you go there. I wish you all of the best.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersperry View Post
Wow, Ken. You must really love the heat. I went to visit my mom in Phoenix about 2 summers ago and it was over 100 degrees at 11:00pm. I walked right into the pool with all my clothes on! Whew, that was too hot for me. I am not a hot summer girl. I live in So Cal now and it gets too hot for me here let alone in Phoenix. Also, there is a really high crime rate there so please do your research before you go there. I wish you all of the best.
Actually we do enjoy the heat and I did do quite a bit of research before we bought our retirement property, but you are right, Phoenix is too hot even for me - so we've bought land near Benson in SE Arizona. Because of it's generally increased elevation, SE Arizona tends to have much more moderate weather than the area around Phoenix - still warm mind you (but of course that's what we want) but NOT a blast furnace.

Our property sits at 4,200 feet, has average highs of 92 in June, 91 in July, and 88 in August - nice and warm but hardly the furnace that Phoenix is. It also gets between 16-20 inches of rain a year (about the same as Sequim - but admittedly in a different pattern that results in generally drier terrain than Sequim (but not barren either)).

In addition winter temps are pretty darned nice, with average January highs of near 60 and average January overnight lows of around 37/38. As it happens, we have a Wunderground.com online weather station that happens to be 300 yards or so from our land, so I can monitor the weather whenever I want (even from here in Seattle) - or look back over the last 4 years worth or hourly weather readings - which is where I'm getting those average temps I mentioned above.

During these last 4 years we've averaged just 3 days/year where we edged our way over 100 (barely), with the highest day during that entire time being 101.5. As I mentioned, most of the time our summer temps are in the low 90's or upper 80's.

We're 4 minutes from the freeway, but in a quiet area that backs onto state land, 10 minutes from a town of 5,000 or so (Benson), 35 minutes or so from Sierra Vista (a town of 35,000 or so) and 40 minutes from downtown Tucson (a city of 1 million).

I think that will suit us just fine.

Ken

Old 04-28-2008, 02:09 AM

2 posts, read 7,454 times
i stay away from the eastside altogether because the cops have nothing to do but pull me over and harass me. as far as gangs the only ones you will see are groups of microsoft execs roamin in their g-wagons over to starbucks bustin a credit card on your ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area