Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 10:17 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Sweet!! I'm going to have to find a local swimming spot. I have a town pool, and a pool in my condo complex but they are only 6ft deep and theirs a million kids here. Sammamish lake is rite here, so maybe Ill check that out.

Yeah it was cold this morning. it made for nice sleeping weather.
Exactly. My family in the northend never had AC. We just opened up the windows and set up a few fans.

Today many new houses are being built with AC in the PNW. OK, I get it...they want to to sell new homes, even though AC is only needed perhaps 20-25 days a year. I guess the thought is if you don't use it, you won't pay for it. But, like mud rooms and three car garages, it sells homes,whether you need it or not. It just adds on to the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 11:27 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
Its interesting how on the flip side Southwest including SoCal, Southern Nevada including Las Vegas/Laughlin, and Arizona is getting cooler than normal temperatures these days as well as cold rain showers. There was at least one day last week when temperatures in Seattle exceeded that of Las Vegas or Lake Havasu city. These are among the hottest cities in the country.

My guess as for why more homes are built with A/C are that newer homes are designed with A/C in mind unlike older homes. The homes these dayss are almost built like a stuffy green house with alot of windows an almost no cross flow ventilation making even a relatively cool day unbearable inside. As The reason for the three car garages is that more and more master plan communities restrict outside parking and people these days buy as many cars and stuff their garages with all types of storage theses days. It appears most familes require a three car garage even if they own only two cars with all that storage, toys, and bikes they stuff up the third parking space, and its inevitable they own three cars or even more as times goes on. Be glad they offer three car garage. Believe it or not plenty of communities offer a tight 2 car garage yet restrict outside parking. As for mud rooms, shouldn't houses in wet climates have them anyways? Otherwise where do we keep all those wet umbrellas, boots, shoes, raincoats and other items? I am always curious why houses outside Japan and Korea rarely have clear Genkans, it seems a great idea to keep the outside from the inside.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:50 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Boots and umbrellas? We didn’t have either in the 70’s! And we survived just fine.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:20 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Boots and umbrellas? We didn’t have either in the 70’s! And we survived just fine.
Wow, there were no boots or umbrellas in the 70'? I thought those things were invented much earlier than that.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
What's a mud room? Is that like a foyer?

Old 05-15-2019, 08:23 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
A mud room is a small room that has a large sink for rinsing out dirty clothing. It's a room that is an entry room from outdoors where you can peel your wet and/or dirty clothes off so you don't track the dirt in to the house. The large sink is essential to a mud room.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:43 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
A mud room is a small room that has a large sink for rinsing out dirty clothing. It's a room that is an entry room from outdoors where you can peel your wet and/or dirty clothes off so you don't track the dirt in to the house. The large sink is essential to a mud room.
Oh ok! We always called it the laundry room. But also the tiled floor right inside the front door was a safe zone. We would de-gear there then put the stuff in the laundry room to dry.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:45 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
You guys can have the heat. It rained in San Diego during that heat wave LOL

Old 05-16-2019, 10:46 AM

1,348 posts, read 707,431 times
scorcher no warm yes

Old 05-18-2019, 07:14 AM

1,663 posts, read 876,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Nothing that unusual for May. Alsmot every year, May has some similar heat waves. They just happen at different times of the month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, but that's a fairly recent phenom. That didn't used to happen in May. And now, it's not even the middle of the month yet; the flash heat wave is occurring earlier.
Botev1912 is right, this is nothing we haven't seen plenty of times before. I looked through some weather records and picked four stations that have been reporting for at least 100 years.

Forks: April all time high: 85 in 1934. May all time high: 96 in 1983.

Snoqualmie Falls: April all time high: 90 in 1934. May: 97 in 1983.

Spokane: April all time high: 90 set in 1926. May: 97 in 1928.

Kennewick: April all time high: 95 set in 1910, tied in 1926. May: 104 in 1910.

April and May get pretty warm sometimes, and it's nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area