Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 11:16 PM

27 posts, read 20,096 times

Advertisements

Larry Hogan is a very moderate Republican who openly opposes Trump and has no power because his vetoes can be overwritten by the Democratic legislature. He got into office because the guy before him went to great lengths to mess up the state (and won reelection because his opponent didn't know which state he was running in...Ben Jealous said he was running for Virginia in a campaign speech). Maryland will revert to a blue governorship in 2022 and I hope I'm long gone before that happens.

Washington to me is relatively fiscally conservative with no state income tax and relatively low property taxes. And I followed the story of the head tax repeal and I think they made the right move there. Maryland on the other hand just taxes like crazy (sales, state and local and property) and spends like crazy and then wonders why businesses and skilled workers (like me) want out of the state. And just looking from afar, I consider Maria Cantwell to be a solid voice in the Senate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 12:03 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanGFX View Post
Heh, I described Puget Sound as the Chesapeake Bay of the west to my friend. Looking forward to riding the ferries and maybe doing some fishing either there or in Lake Washington. We don't have whale watching over here though.

Off-topic question...How is the humidity in the area? Here in Maryland, once summer hits, it's hot, heavy and just saps the life out of you (pumps up the electric bill because you HAVE to run the AC all summer).
I get humidity man. I'm a born and raised Miami boy living now for 29 years in Seattle. The hot sticky humidity happens now and then in the summer but compared to the East Coast (or really much of the USA) its pretty mild. You'll like the Dungeness Crabs, bug and tasty. It's pretty much a seafood paradise with oysters, mussels, clams, spot prawns and access to salmon. See you soon.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:36 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
You sound like another poster here, (Blondebearde) with your career position and political orientation. He lives in Kirkland. I think MI, Bellevue or Kirkland are all fine choices for someone with your sensibilities.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:27 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,079,886 times
I think MI will be a good fit. It has had a reputation of being a rather stodgy place where upper middle class and upper class people went to hide from urban realities (behind their tree-lined driveways and/or yachts) but it's changed quite a lot in recent years. It's very family-friendly and less white bread than in years past. (I won't say "WASP" because there's a very large Jewish community on the island; MI has the region's biggest JCC as well as a couple of big synagogues.)

I would ease into conservative and gun rights conversations slowly. While MI is no hotbed of Trotsky lovers, it's generally quite politically active and notably left of center.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:39 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
I think MI will be a good fit. It has had a reputation of being a rather stodgy place where upper middle class and upper class people went to hide from urban realities (behind their tree-lined driveways and/or yachts) but it's changed quite a lot in recent years. It's very family-friendly and less white bread than in years past. (I won't say "WASP" because there's a very large Jewish community on the island; MI has the region's biggest JCC as well as a couple of big synagogues.)

I would ease into conservative and gun rights conversations slowly. While MI is no hotbed of Trotsky lovers, it's generally quite politically active and notably left of center.
All truth, Gardy. The JCC is a great club (and swimming center, squash, basketball, etc), many non Jewish people belong there as well.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:26 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Maryland is bluer than Washington. I think I'll be okay. It's the weather and the scenery (and the job $$$$) than the politics I'd be moving for. A couple Antifa thugs aren't going to scare me away. Remember, most of us on the East Coast think of grunge/Nirvana synonymously with the Seattle area. I'm open to debate politics in a civil way, but the "Trump is hitler/conservatives are nazis" people are just ones I stay away from and wonder about. And I have to say, the people I've interacted with in the area have all been extremely nice (although not like I've expressed politics or anything with them).

I probably will have a look at the Second Amendment Foundation in Bellevue though.
You need to stop sounding like a troll, when you talk about the greater Seattle area. People will be less likely to want to be helpful on your thread, if you keep expressing yourself in such a snarky way. You're not endearing yourself to anyone.

The fact is, that you're not moving to Seattle. If you had any idea what the east side of Lake WA and Mercer Island are like, you'd see how absurd your concerns are, and therefore--how trollish you sound. Just bear in mind, you're not going to be living in Seattle, so whatever you've heard about Seattle is completely irrelevant. I realize this may be a difficult concept for someone unfamiliar with the area to grasp, so I"m cutting you a little slack. But only a little. Please try to understand, that Bellevue, MI, Kirkland are in some ways, their own world. And fyi, the Antifa people are from Oakland, CA.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-19-2019 at 11:34 AM..

Old 05-19-2019, 01:42 PM

Unfortunately, they also have a large presence in Portland, OR and that is a huge reason I haven't considered that area in my job search. And the homeless camp concerns are something that, sadly, seems to dominate the headlines in the area. It is the same for popular sections in California. I've done my homework, but most of the information only focuses on the larger cities.

I simply have no way of knowing if my concerns are valid or not, but I'm dying to check the areas out, firsthand. I'm thankful for the suggestions and I'm adding Kirkland to my search area (I'm using Craigslist rentals and Realtor.com). I will say, I think the good in this area FAR outweighs the bad (if I'm being snarky, it's towards Maryland...I would never recommend anyone move here!) and I'm thankful for the assistance.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:16 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, they also have a large presence in Portland, OR and that is a huge reason I haven't considered that area in my job search. And the homeless camp concerns are something that, sadly, seems to dominate the headlines in the area. It is the same for popular sections in California. I've done my homework, but most of the information only focuses on the larger cities.

I simply have no way of knowing if my concerns are valid or not, but I'm dying to check the areas out, firsthand. I'm thankful for the suggestions and I'm adding Kirkland to my search area (I'm using Craigslist rentals and Realtor.com). I will say, I think the good in this area FAR outweighs the bad (if I'm being snarky, it's towards Maryland...I would never recommend anyone move here!) and I'm thankful for the assistance.
Not sure why a conservative isn't including red states where they would obviously be happier. Districts 41, 45 and 48 have elected all Democrats. District 25, Puyallup might be better, or Idaho.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/districtfinder

Old 05-19-2019, 02:43 PM

Because the job I'm in the process of lining up is worlds better than the prospects I have in Texas or Arizona, is in the Bellevue area (District 25 would be one heck of a commute!) and the scenery and weather are much more appealing. Idaho is nice, but the opportunities pale in comparison. Ditto for Spokane area. Oklahoma City, there's literally a $60,000 difference for a similar role!

Again, I'm a MODERATE libertarian-conservative (think more along the lines of "the less government and the less regulation, the better" as opposed to "RESPECT MY BIBLE!") and as I've said before, I find Washington fiscally conservative enough on taxes to be appealing, but I think my concerns about homeless and protestors are apolitical. Frankly, I'd rather be discussing videogames and sports than politics.

Last edited by HitmanGFX; 05-19-2019 at 03:02 PM..

Old 05-19-2019, 05:30 PM

1,663 posts, read 876,024 times
If you are going to be working anywhere in the Bellevue area, do NOT move to Puyallup. Traffic is awful, 1.5 to 2 hour commutes each way, won't be uncommon. If you can afford it, Mercer Island is an excellent choice, both for location and traffic. Kirkland is a nice area, but traffic on I-405 is usually pretty heavy headed south toward Bellevue in the morning. And humidity here is nothing compared to what the east coast experiences. Oh and the Second Amendment Foundation is, in my experience anyway, a good organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area