Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 06:05 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
You know what they say...

"People from the East Coast are kinda a-holes when you first meet them but eventually you realize they are really nice people.

People from Seattle are really nice when you first meet them but eventually you realize they are a bunch of a-holes."

If you've spent any time on the East Coast, you'll be able to relate.
People on the Eastside seem like a-holes when you first meet them. Eventually you discover they're from California and really are a bunch of a-holes.

I'm kidding.

California is really not my cup of tea, but I've met all kinds from there and can't generalize.

Honestly there are too many transplants from all over. I can't say that I notice Seattle Freeze where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 06:13 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Well, I'm half Scandi (and the other half is English... another culturally "reserved" group of people),
and I probably wouldn't initiate a conversation on a bus, absent some nonverbal cue like a smile or nod.
But it wouldn't offend me if someone else did... and who knows what I might learn from this other person?

Old 05-29-2019, 11:06 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Well, I'm half Scandi (and the other half is English... another culturally "reserved" group of people),
and I probably wouldn't initiate a conversation on a bus, absent some nonverbal cue like a smile or nod.
But it wouldn't offend me if someone else did... and who knows what I might learn from this other person?

Actually I disagree about your English side. My wife and I spend a lot of time over in Thailand and we find the Brits some of the most talkative and social folks we've met. There have been plenty of times when we are sitting at a nice restaurant sitting next to Brits and they initiate and engage in a chat. Living in Seattle, this REALLY catches us off guard and we are not used to it. But as the conversation flows, we enjoy the company! Super fun to get perspectives from people from different backgrounds.

The Brits have a "pub mentality" in which a town or neighborhood will meet up at the local pub after dinner to enjoy a few pints. This is often their form of socialization and they do it much better than we do in the States. In Thailand, it's very common for the Brits to travel in large packs whereas Americans tend to travel as couples. Brits are fun! They love to have a good laugh and are social. Typically Americans, Scandinavians and Germans are the opposite end of the spectrum where they prefer to be left alone, which to me is sad...especially when on holiday!

Old 05-29-2019, 02:07 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Actually I disagree about your English side. My wife and I spend a lot of time over in Thailand and we find the Brits some of the most talkative and social folks we've met. There have been plenty of times when we are sitting at a nice restaurant sitting next to Brits and they initiate and engage in a chat. Living in Seattle, this REALLY catches us off guard and we are not used to it. But as the conversation flows, we enjoy the company! Super fun to get perspectives from people from different backgrounds.

The Brits have a "pub mentality" in which a town or neighborhood will meet up at the local pub after dinner to enjoy a few pints. This is often their form of socialization and they do it much better than we do in the States. In Thailand, it's very common for the Brits to travel in large packs whereas Americans tend to travel as couples. Brits are fun! They love to have a good laugh and are social. Typically Americans, Scandinavians and Germans are the opposite end of the spectrum where they prefer to be left alone, which to me is sad...especially when on holiday!
Ah, that's interesting... maybe one day I'll have a chance to go over to the UK and see.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:25 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
People on the Eastside seem like a-holes when you first meet them. Eventually you discover they're from California and really are a bunch of a-holes.

I'm kidding.

California is really not my cup of tea, but I've met all kinds from there and can't generalize.

Honestly there are too many transplants from all over. I can't say that I notice Seattle Freeze where I live.

I was born & raised in SoCal and spent most of my life there.

At least in California, people aren’t averse to speaking to each other. Most people don’t react as if you are a weirdo or like they are just too busy, or important, or whatever, to be bothered, if you make idle conversation. People at least speak back and forth to one another, and that's how friendships are created.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:25 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I was born & raised in SoCal and spent most of my life there.

At least in California, people aren’t averse to speaking to each other. Most people don’t react as if you are a weirdo or like they are just too busy, or important, or whatever, to be bothered, if you make idle conversation. People at least speak back and forth to one another, and that's how friendships are created.
I read a cool story in the NYTimes, in a weekly column, where residents share funny or interesting stories of things they've experienced or observed around town. One woman wrote about visiting a friend in SoCal. She said they went to the grocery store, and her friend was chatting with the cashier as they were checking out, and they enjoyed a laugh and a nice exchange. The visitor assumed they were friends due to the banter, and asked if they were. The cashier looked at her, and said, "No. Where are you from--New York?!"

Old 05-30-2019, 09:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/li...o-talk-to-you/

This write-up contains the familiar speculation that traditional Nordic culture contributes to the Seattle Freeze:

Ironic... in my studies of cooperative housing (requires people to get along...) USA co-op developers claim it works best with Scandinavians, (They are used to BYO 'hot-dish-dinners', and where up to 60% of some towns live in communal housing )

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
I prefer Scandinavian culture. I feel relationships are fewer, but deeper.

Not a big fan of "southern" idle chatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I read a cool story in the NYTimes, in a weekly column, where residents share funny or interesting stories of things they've experienced or observed around town. ...her friend was chatting with the cashier as they were checking out, ..
interesting 'cashier' story... and opposing the Seattle Freeze concept...
While living in the Philippines... in a very rural supermarket... it was a common courtesy to allow the cashier to finishing singing their version of karaoke to the 'elevator / background music' before ringing you up.

Don't think that would fly in the Seattle "Me-First (and only)" culture.

Seattle is really a perfect place for folks to live who have the concept; "The-World-Revolves-Around-ME". There are plenty in this camp. (all over the world). Plenty in Seattle do not have this concept (that is good too, so they can 'wait-on' those who are 'entitled'). Job security.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:12 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:

Yes, I live in South East Asia and have the same experience.

I have good friends from the UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand.

The social life here is great.

IMO, the social life in Seattle and Western Washington is NOT good at all.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 1,496 times
The freeze is real. People get offended because they want to freeze you out and feel justified, which is why the idea of a freeze is so offensive: because it may include their behavior.

It has nothing to do with scandanavia and everything to do with insular backwater mentality and "I'm better than you" mentality. They want to use you for taxes but otherwise just talk crap about you behind your back and maybe, maybe smile to your face, but that's not guaranteed. They're kind of entitled though, because if you give back to them what they give you, they get offended and expect special treatment.

The entire social scene is dreary and everyone knows it. Deep down they know it in their soggy soul. Gotta censor this ****.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:01 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeancomeon View Post
The freeze is real. People get offended because they want to freeze you out and feel justified, which is why the idea of a freeze is so offensive: because it may include their behavior.

It has nothing to do with scandanavia and everything to do with insular backwater mentality and "I'm better than you" mentality. They want to use you for taxes but otherwise just talk crap about you behind your back and maybe, maybe smile to your face, but that's not guaranteed. They're kind of entitled though, because if you give back to them what they give you, they get offended and expect special treatment.

The entire social scene is dreary and everyone knows it. Deep down they know it in their soggy soul. Gotta censor this ****.
The bolded is a hallmark of narcissists. I'm not sure Seattle (or WA) is characterized by narcissists. I thought one of our posters was really onto something, when she said it's a clash in personal boundaries. She said the born-and-raised Seattle-ites consider it a matter of poor boundaries, if people want to chat with strangers, just to be friendly and pass the time a little. She said locals view it as kind of rude, like invading other people's space. And that tends to be true in Scandinavia, too, or perhaps it's a general Germanic trait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area