Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 02:28 PM

6 posts, read 3,632 times

Advertisements

Yes, Least Prime, you are right. I'm a guy LOL, CrazyDonkey. My apology, I don't know where exactly is 'downtown' Seattle.. I will learn! Though I mention up to 2000 and hopefully not more if there's no choice, I'm trying to find somewhere up to 1700-1800s. Thanks, flyingsaucermom. That zillow site is great! I'm looking to live within city limit at least for the first year.. Mercer Island is probably too far though only 13 minute drive not counting traffic.. Thanks for the recommendations! If anyone have more recommendation would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 06:16 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navtae36 View Post
Yes, Least Prime, you are right. I'm a guy LOL, CrazyDonkey. My apology, I don't know where exactly is 'downtown' Seattle.. I will learn! Though I mention up to 2000 and hopefully not more if there's no choice, I'm trying to find somewhere up to 1700-1800s. Thanks, flyingsaucermom. That zillow site is great! I'm looking to live within city limit at least for the first year.. Mercer Island is probably too far though only 13 minute drive not counting traffic.. Thanks for the recommendations! If anyone have more recommendation would be great!
Almost typed "she/he", but went with "she" based on your "safety" comment, which tends to be a higher priority for women. You should be able to walk safely in most areas of Seattle.

You should have lots of choices for $1700-1800.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
^^^ She said she's "looking for places to live up to 20 minutes drive" of her primary work location ("downtown"?).
Before 6am I can make it to Belltown, farther than the Seattle hospitals from Sammamish in the middle of the plateau in 30-35 minutes. Today I left at 2:40 and was home by 3:20. Crossroads and lower Issaquah are 15 minutes close, so 20 minutes is doable. From Swedish Cherry Hill, it’s a simple run down Boren which turns into Rainier Ave S, then right onto I90. Going in same thing, the first Seattle exit. You don’t have to deal with the gridlock on 1st, 4th or I5.

I always recommend driving any route at the time you will be on it before deciding where to live, and try for very early (or very late) hours.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:55 PM

464 posts, read 286,574 times
Welcome to the PNW, it makes everyone richer, just by being here!

Yes, I would be looking close to or in Seattle, at least for the Issaquah commute you will be going the right way, and with $2K, it'll be a little harder finding something on the eastside, I wouldn't necessarily rule it out though. (Factoria is a nice little town, Eastgate is okay, I don't know about the commute downtown though, but you'd be fine for Issaquah.)

That IS an impressive medical center in Issaquah, so many things in Issaquah are!

You might also consider the Greenlake/Greenwood area north of downtown if rent rates are a problem downtown or on Cap Hill... (Just stay west of Aurora Ave. and it's not bad at all.)

Even if you have to settle for a place not so ideal at first, at least you will be familiar with the area and can also keep looking at rents that better fit your needs.

Thx

Last edited by Thx-1138; 06-04-2019 at 10:23 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 10:09 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
How often will you be commuting to Issaquah? I live just a block from Swedish in First Hill. It’s 5-10 min drive down the hill to I-90 depending on traffic. You would have a reverse commute though. I pay a total of $2100 for a 1br with W/D. Fairly new building, rooftop terrace, gym, etc. Without parking and pet rent it’s only $1835 but (a) parking in First Hill sucks, and (b) car theft/vandalism is a huge issue in Seattle. I’m pretty much paying to not have the hassle of trying to find a spot and the peace of mind knowing my car is safe.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:33 PM

Bluefox, I'm not sure how often will I have to commute to Issaquah yet, probably every 4-6 weeks but not until probably September 2019. My budget would still be ok max up to 2000. I have to be on call also probably 4-6 weeks. So if I'm not on call, I probably take a bus. What does anyone think of West Seattle? It's a bit further but I wouldn't mind waking up earlier for work if it's worth it. Great photo, THX-1138!

Old 06-05-2019, 04:53 PM

Now I'm thinking of Mercer Island, too, hmmm might not be too bad because it's closer to Issaquah too..

Old 06-05-2019, 05:06 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
If you only have to be in Issaquah once every month or so then I would stay in Seattle unless you like a quieter, slower environment.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:11 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Game Plan:
Get 2 weeks (1 week minimum) housing allowance. The International Hostel in ID in a pinch. The new Embassy Suites in ID across the RR tracks from IH, which is also on King St . Both facilities are near transportation for exploring the environs. (IH is probably more friendly towards transients and students/older ex-hippies.) Acquire a longer short-time abode that meets minimally your requirements 1-3 months. Then finalize your stay for 2-12 months in an apartment (currently a dearth of apartments, bargain forcefully).

Old 06-05-2019, 05:15 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Quote:
Now I'm thinking of Mercer Island, too, hmmm might not be too bad because it's closer to Issaquah too..
It's hard to get Iss from there. Very $$$ and very staid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area