Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 03:50 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,045 times

Advertisements

From a book The Making of Donald Trump by progressive writer and former NYT reporter David Cay Johnston:

Donald Trump's grandfather Frederich Trump (originally 'Drumpf') was from Kallstadt in SW Germany, and came to the US in 1885 at age 16. He initially stayed with an older sister in NY who had immigrated earlier, but Fredrich soon took the advice 'go west, young man,' moving to Seattle, WA,

Quote:
where he opened The Dairy Restaurant. It also had a curtained-off area that most likely served as a low-rent whorehouse, according to Gwenda Blair, who had the family's cooperation in her history of the Trumps.
He later sold the restaurant and headed for the Yukon Territory, where he started a bar and grill called 'The Arctic.' The Arctic offered "hard liquor and 'sporting ladies.' He made a small fortune, and returned home to Germany to bring over a bride.

He wound up in NYC where he ran a barbershop, which in those days
Quote:
were often fronts for illegal businesses and--because men of dubious means could come in for a daily shave or just to hang out--they could also have been opportune places to gather business intelligence and engage in sub rosa transactions....
Seattle until around 1980 or so was a hub of sex trade. Seattle's last GOP mayor, 'Dorm' Braman, who left office in 1969, pursued a 'tolerance policy' towards prostitution and gambling, ostensibly to keep out-of-town organized crime interests at bay. It was not until the progressive movement of the late 20th/early 21st centuries that crack-downs against the sex trade were undertaken in Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 07:17 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
From a book The Making of Donald Trump by progressive writer and former NYT reporter David Cay Johnston:

Donald Trump's grandfather Frederich Trump (originally 'Drumpf') was from Kallstadt in SW Germany, and came to the US in 1885 at age 16. He initially stayed with an older sister in NY who had immigrated earlier, but Fredrich soon took the advice 'go west, young man,' moving to Seattle, WA,

He later sold the restaurant and headed for the Yukon Territory, where he started a bar and grill called 'The Arctic.' The Arctic offered "hard liquor and 'sporting ladies.' He made a small fortune, and returned home to Germany to bring over a bride.

He wound up in NYC where he ran a barbershop, which in those days

Seattle until around 1980 or so was a hub of sex trade. Seattle's last GOP mayor, 'Dorm' Braman, who left office in 1969, pursued a 'tolerance policy' towards prostitution and gambling, ostensibly to keep out-of-town organized crime interests at bay. It was not until the progressive movement of the late 20th/early 21st centuries that crack-downs against the sex trade were undertaken in Seattle.
Interesting and so true about the sex trade in “squeaky clean” Seattle in the 70’s. I was just a teen but remember the newspaper ads for the adult theaters on First Avenue, even the all male offerings which at first I didn’t understand! Most of these theaters are gone or repurposed today.

I love Presidential history however unimportant it is. Some know that Obama also has a Seattle connection as he lived on Capitol Hill the first year of his life with his single mother.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:44 PM

50 posts, read 25,664 times
I'm living on the corner of 2nd and Pike. I haven't been far yet (too busy unpacking and furniture shopping!) but I've already seen some colourful signs for showgirls. I like a place with a bit of a buzz

Old 06-23-2019, 11:10 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,287,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Kooky View Post
I'm living on the corner of 2nd and Pike. I haven't been far yet (too busy unpacking and furniture shopping!) but I've already seen some colourful signs for showgirls. I like a place with a bit of a buzz
Welcome to town, Yorkshire! Yeah, I have heard about this connection. Check out this about Frederick Trump, so Trumpian:

"In Monte Cristo, WA, Frederick Trump chose a plot of land near the train station that he wanted to build a hotel on, but could not afford the $1,000-per-acre fee to purchase it. Instead, he filed a "gold placer" claim on the land, which allowed him to claim exclusive mineral rights to the land without having to pay for it, even though the land had already been claimed by Everett resident Nicholas Rudebeck. Despite the placer's claim providing Trump no right to build any structure on the land, he quickly bought lumber to build a new boarding house and operate it similarly to the Dairy Restaurant. He never tried to mine gold on the land".

Old 06-24-2019, 12:23 AM

464 posts, read 286,524 times
Yes, welcome to town Yorkshire, glad to have you with us!

Oh, I remember several strip clubs and "accessories" shops right across the street from the Pike Market, can't remember the name of the place, but they moved closer to the Elephant car wash.

And I am pretty liberal, but I can't say I appreciated the "barkers" in front of the club, sometimes some patron with a glass of beer standing alongside adding their own bit of crassness, glad they moved it, it was tacky being right there in the thick of the tourists to say the least.

Hot enough for ya?

Don't you worry, our summer is just around the corner I'm sure.

Thx

Old 06-24-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Welcome to town, Yorkshire! Yeah, I have heard about this connection. Check out this about Frederick Trump, so Trumpian:

"In Monte Cristo, WA, Frederick Trump chose a plot of land near the train station that he wanted to build a hotel on, but could not afford the $1,000-per-acre fee to purchase it. Instead, he filed a "gold placer" claim on the land, which allowed him to claim exclusive mineral rights to the land without having to pay for it, even though the land had already been claimed by Everett resident Nicholas Rudebeck. Despite the placer's claim providing Trump no right to build any structure on the land, he quickly bought lumber to build a new boarding house and operate it similarly to the Dairy Restaurant. He never tried to mine gold on the land".
I didn't know about that, but it certainly comports with David Cay Johnston's account of Frederich (or Frederick; it appears he used both spellings). DCJ calls him the former at first, and later in the book switches to the latter.

He says that when Frederich went to the Yukon, he had no interest in mining for gold. Instead, his idea was to 'mine the miners.'

Old 06-24-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Kooky View Post
I gather there are still strip clubs operating in the city, but it's nothing like it was even 25 years ago. Seattle started ramping up prostitution stings around 2002. I recall a big Craigslist sting that netted over 100 arrests.

Seattle police, along with the FBI, conducted a massive raid on "Rick's" in Lake City in early 2008. The was really the end of an era. The club was closed (forfeited to the gov't and later sold & re-opened). The club owners were convicted of felonies.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:49 PM

In the 1950s and 1960s it was wide open, with brothels openly operating (albeit with plenty of payoffs to police). This is detailed in a book Seattle Vice by the late Seattle Weekly investigative reporter Rick Anderson. He passed away late in 2018, IIRC age 77.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:47 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
All this to say Seattle was not a shy, timid city back in the day. It was rough and tumble and definitely a rowdy area. What happened?

Old 06-25-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
All this to say Seattle was not a shy, timid city back in the day. It was rough and tumble and definitely a rowdy area. What happened?
Interesting question; I think it's kind of a repeat of what happened generally in the late 19th/early 20th centuries, namely the rise of progressivism. Prostitution and other vices were generally tolerated in 19th century America. The clampdown was a project of progressivism. The 'Mann Act,' criminalizing prostitution was passed in 1910, followed by prohibition, another progressive endeavor.

I wasn't here but my impression is that Seattle was not very progressive until at least around 1980. There were GOP state reps from Seattle as late as the 1970s, and Seattle's last GOP mayor (Dorm Braman) left office in 1969.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area