Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 08:47 AM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
Just found out that on the next ballot there will be a vote for removing the emissions testing, but replacing it with a toll on I-5. It's a good thing my mom passed away so many years ago, because if she was still alive, this kind of **** would kill her. Do you know how many times a day the average Seattleite uses I-5? How will you vote? This city, this state, is becoming a place for the very wealthy, and they're not even from here.
Link, please.
I am under the impression that only Interstates that were tolled in 1954 or 1955, i.e. built before the interstate highway program went effect, can be tolled. I don't think new tolls are possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 09:57 AM

1,348 posts, read 706,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
the emission test costs like $15 every two years. It's not anything that hit anyone.
true but was a pain to find so few places that did it

Old 09-13-2019, 10:11 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am under the impression that only Interstates that were tolled in 1954 or 1955, i.e. built before the interstate highway program went effect, can be tolled. I don't think new tolls are possible.
There are exceptions:

Quote:
Under Title 23 of the United States Code (Highways), there is a general prohibition on the imposition of tolls on Federal-aid highways. However, Title 23 and other statutes have also carved out certain exceptions to this general prohibition through special programs. These programs allow tolling to generate revenue to support highway construction activities and/or enable the use of road pricing for congestion management.
Quote:
Under the General Toll Program, Congress permits Federal participation in certain types of toll-financed construction activities, including new highways, new lanes added to existing highways (so long as the number of existing toll-free lanes is not reduced), reconstruction of highways (non-Interstate only), reconstruction or replacement of bridges or tunnels, and capital improvements to existing toll facilities.
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ipd/fact_sh..._programs.aspx

Old 09-13-2019, 10:39 AM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Thanks. I think I repped you too recently to rep again but I will try.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:10 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
As I posted early in this thread, I believe any Interstate can be tolled, but they will thereby reducing or forfeiting any federal funding for certain elements including improvements or expansion.

"A BPR press release explained: Inclusion of the 2,102 miles of toll roads in the Interstate System will not affect their status as toll roads. The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 permits this, although no Federal-aid funds may be used for their improvement."

In essence, this means if some local freeways can produce more revenue via tolls than they would receive from the feds, then it is a good idea. If not, it is a bad idea. Washington State loves to tax, so the answer is probably pretty obvious.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 09-19-2019 at 11:30 PM..

Old 10-03-2019, 01:28 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
We need to get rid of tolls locally.

Just put a toll on all roads between eastern Washington and the west-side. It would help pay for the winter plowing of the cross-Cascade highways and higher maintenance costs due to weather.

The WADOT actually did a study about implementing a $20 toll. We are good to go on the tolls.

Your right...I-5 should not be tolled....but I-90, US 2, US 20, and all those roads leading to Yakima need to have tolls.
Federal tax dollars are supposed to go to Interstates. When people in this country want to secede their money from helping other states in the country they live in, well maybe they should find another country. We're all in this together. That's how we were. Jesus Christ Superstar.
United We Stood, Divided We Got Knocked On Our Ass By Selfishness And Intolerance.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:01 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Where would this toll be? In the city limits somewhere, or maybe in South King/Pierce on the way to Tacoma? I'd think putting it near SeaTac or downtown would disrupt too much traffic unless they did it with cameras that take a picture of your moving car like on 520.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:35 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Where would this toll be? In the city limits somewhere, or maybe in South King/Pierce on the way to Tacoma? I'd think putting it near SeaTac or downtown would disrupt too much traffic unless they did it with cameras that take a picture of your moving car like on 520.
Modern tolls don't have toll booths. Nobody has to stop.

Old 11-17-2022, 02:50 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I read something today on the internet that tolls in Metro Portland, are inevitable in the very near future. That ODOT has already filed to start these tolls within 2 years. Is this true? The article which I should have saved, states the tolls will be on bridges to and from Vancouver. There would also be tolls on 1 or 2 bridges crossing the Willamette, as well as tolls on 205 in the Oregon City area and also on I-5 south of downtown. Primarily the highest tolls a driver would pay would be at rush hours. I can't imagine Portland tolerating this, but I guess what can people do but pay the tolls or take Trimet.

Believe me tolls are annoying and can be a big ripoff. I deal with them here in Florida where they are all over the place. If your stuck dealing with them on a daily basis, it is a big bill each month.

Old 11-17-2022, 07:26 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Oregon and Washington are in the process of replacing the I-5 bridge which spans Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA. Most newer projects in the PNW (at least in the populated metro areas) utilize tolls to underwrite bond sales on new, big replacement projects.

We have tolls in Seattle on SR-520, the I-405 HOV lanes, the SR-67 HOV lanes, and on the SR-99 tunnel, as well as the Tacoma Narrows bridge. They aren't that much of a big deal, just get a transponder and you don't even slow down. But I guess if the state were considering tolling I-5 directly through the city, that might be more of a political upset than just tolling new bridges or optional HOV lanes etc.

What I'd like to see is the tolling language for each project be written so that the tolls sunset when the bonds are paid. I think that would go a long way towards easing tolling anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area