Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 03:30 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
Unless you are a huge PNW beach fan, I'd say you don't need to see Long Beach, Westport AND La Push. La Push is probably the most scenic of the three. Long Beach has a long sandy beach - good for kite flying and walking the beach. There's an older resort style town there. Westport is similar, with a old fishing town attached, probably my least favorite of the 3. Personally, I'd go to Ruby Beach in the Olympic National Park and call it good. Definitely check out the Hoh Rainforest.
The route chosen skips the coast entirely until Kalaloch, etc. Not much to be seen until Lake Quinault. If they just stick to 101, which seems to be their idea, they'll miss everything, except Kalaloch/Ruby Beach and Lake Crescent.

Long Beach is only a short distance off the planned route. Cape Disappointment State Park (including a classic lighthouse) is also well worth a visit.

Visiting Westport is just an option. Nothing to be seen on 101 from Raymond to Aberdeen, unless you're a fan of tree farms and clearcuts. If time allows, the coast route is a good deal more scenic, if 2-3 hours longer. Westport has surfers (in wetsuits) and boats crossing a treacherous bar. You can also drive on many stretches of the Grayland/Westport beaches, which can be a novel thrill for some.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 09-10-2019 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 03:45 PM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Agreed on the coast side... I would definitely jump over to the coast whenever possible... at Moclips on down, and at Wesport on down.

Or head inland and go to the Brooklyn Tavern, which has made this esteemed list:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...rickin-nowhere

Old 09-10-2019, 06:48 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Agreed on the coast side... I would definitely jump over to the coast whenever possible... at Moclips on down, and at Westport on down.

Or head inland and go to the Brooklyn Tavern, which has made this esteemed list:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...rickin-nowhere

Westport is on The Best Small Beach Towns on the West Coast list:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...the-west-coast

Old 09-10-2019, 06:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
I visited Long Beach earlier this summer. I was actually impressed. Nice, touristy town and a big, wide beach.

To the OP, your dates are probably set, but keep in mind mid-October signals a big change in weather (usually). This is where Western Washington usually starts to get pummeled by rain storms. However, this year has been a bit out of the ordinary, so I guess anything is possible. Just be prepared for significant rain.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:58 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kladin View Post
Hello, we decide to visit WA for our vacation(mid Oct). We want to do a road trip to see some fall color and WA nature. We will start and end at Portland Airport. After research and many advice, we come up with a route like this. Can you give us some advice, which special place we need to stop, visit etc. Or which route to skip/change. Thanks

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Port...45.5051064!3e0
I bet the eastern part of the North Cascades Highway would be stunning that time of year.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:57 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I bet the eastern part of the North Cascades Highway would be stunning that time of year.
Also remember that the North Cascades Highway closes for the winter, usually sometime in November, depending on when the first snow events occur.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/travel/high...s-highway/home

Old 09-11-2019, 09:57 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
The route chosen skips the coast entirely until Kalaloch, etc. Not much to be seen until Lake Quinault. If they just stick to 101, which seems to be their idea, they'll miss everything, except Kalaloch/Ruby Beach and Lake Crescent.

Long Beach is only a short distance off the planned route. Cape Disappointment State Park (including a classic lighthouse) is also well worth a visit.

Visiting Westport is just an option. Nothing to be seen on 101 from Raymond to Aberdeen, unless you're a fan of tree farms and clearcuts. If time allows, the coast route is a good deal more scenic, if 2-3 hours longer. Westport has surfers (in wetsuits) and boats crossing a treacherous bar. You can also drive on many stretches of the Grayland/Westport beaches, which can be a novel thrill for some.
We love combo Lake Quinnault, Kalaloch weekends, usually stay at the hiatoric Quinnault Lodge then day trip out to Kalaloch and the stunning beaches. Last time at Quinnault, we ran into a mycologist (Mushroom experts) convention and hours later were looking at elk, waterfalls and foraging chanterelles with them. Beautiful area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area