Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 01:45 PM

400 posts, read 449,485 times

Advertisements

Since I've been 8 years old, I've dreamt about moving to the PNW and now it's happening! We're looking for a place to live for late December or early January. Terrible time of the year to move but that's the reality.

Looking for some advice on where to live with my wife around Seattle.

Here's the details:

-I'm 36 and my wife and 31. No kids (yet) but do have a 50 lb. dog.

-I'll be working 3 days in Office at 5th Ave and Yesler in Seattle (can flex time earlier or later than normal hours if needed)

-Wife will be 4-5 days (M - F normal hours) at either the Fred Hutch Center in SLU or Over Lake Medical NE of Bellevue (not sure which yet)
-Looking for 2 - 3 bedrooms (can be more) 1100+ sq ft house with a yard. Townhouse would be exception if it had a yard for the dog.
-Budget is no more $3,000 / mo (utilities don't need to be included)
-Would like to be no more than 1 hour from my work via public transportation or a combo of driving to a station
-Also looking for a place with a park/wilderness area with possible mountain biking no more than 10-15 drive
-Don't want to be in the middle of the action and prefer a quieter neighborhood with preference towards nature
-Places with a variety of restaurant types / breweries would be nice too

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you y'all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 01:56 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Issaquah seems like a good fit. Take 90 into Seattle, no tolls and easy access to trails there as well as North Bend, Snoqualmie, etc.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Issaquah seems like a good fit. Take 90 into Seattle, no tolls and easy access to trails there as well as North Bend, Snoqualmie, etc.

I'll have to look into Issaquah. I've heard good things but have never been.

I don't know where North Bend is but Snoqualmie seems too far. I don't know if I could make it to/from DT in sub 60 minutes or my wife to SLU or Bellevue.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:07 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
I'll have to look into Issaquah. I've heard good things but have never been.

I don't know where North Bend is but Snoqualmie seems too far. I don't know if I could make it to/from DT in sub 60 minutes or my wife to SLU or Bellevue.
The North Bend and Snoqualmie were to address the goal of being near mountain wilderness and trails, as in live in Issaquah, commute to Seattle and go east to North Bend or Snoqualmie for mountain biking.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The North Bend and Snoqualmie were to address the goal of being near mountain wilderness and trails, as in live in Issaquah, commute to Seattle and go east to North Bend or Snoqualmie for mountain biking.

Ah I see. Well that makes more sense!

I've been to Seattle multiple times but haven't really explored the surrounding area much. Besides the City itself, I've seen Renton, West Seattle, Columbia City, Green Lake, and Bellevue. I know there is a lot both North and East we are looking to explore on a scouting mission.

Just looking for areas to scope out that match our criteria.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:50 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Hey Scorpion, Welcome (almost) to town. Maybe start with this list of great rides and go from there. https://sacredrides.com/blog/seattle...in-bike-trails

Where it is true that the best mountain biking in Seattle is on the "Eastside", I'd really advise you to prioritize your commute to work. Sounds like you guys would spend much of your work in Seattle. I'd vote for a place on the Seattle side that keeps you near I-90 to head to the Eastside when needed. Great spots that do that are the neighborhoods of Leschi, Madrona, Mount Baker, North Beacon Hill or even Columbia City. A few of those have the added benefit of light rail right now. Seattle and Bellevue will be connected by light rail over I-90 in just a few years. Enjoy the journey.

If you choose to live on the Eastside and commute to Seattle, again follow the "stay close to I-90" idea. A place like Factoria or close in Issaquah could work, Factoria is closer in. Best wishes man and cool about finally living your dream. Oh, many of the breweries/brewpubs are on the Seattle side but this is a cool little spot in Issaquah, Rogue makes some of my favorite stout actually: https://www.rogue.com/locations/rogu...quah-brewhouse

Last edited by homesinseattle; 10-20-2019 at 08:04 AM..

Old 10-20-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hey Scorpion, Welcome (almost) to town. Maybe start with this list of great rides and go from there. https://sacredrides.com/blog/seattle...in-bike-trails

Where it is true that the best mountain biking in Seattle is on the "Eastside", I'd really advise you to prioritize your commute to work. Sounds like you guys would spend much of your work in Seattle. I'd vote for a place on the Seattle side that keeps you near I-90 to head to the Eastside when needed. Great spots that do that are the neighborhoods of Leschi, Madrona, Mount Baker, North Beacon Hill or even Columbia City. A few of those have the added benefit of light rail right now. Seattle and Bellevue will be connected by light rail over I-90 in just a few years. Enjoy the journey.

If you choose to live on the Eastside and commute to Seattle, again follow the "stay close to I-90" idea. A place like Factoria or close in Issaquah could work, Factoria is closer in. Best wishes man and cool about finally living your dream. Oh, many of the breweries/brewpubs are on the Seattle side but this is a cool little spot in Issaquah, Rogue makes some of my favorite stout actually: https://www.rogue.com/locations/rogu...quah-brewhouse

Thanks!

Just to clarify, we're just looking to rent for the first year and get a feel for the area. Maybe buy after that if the conditions are right. I also heard the light rail will eventually make it up to North gate and eventually to Everett. Is that right or just a dream?

Still don't know if she will be working in SLU or Bellevue. I guess that will change where we go since she will likely be driving to either 4 or 5 days a week.

So with that said, overarching advice is stay as close to 90 as possible? What about northern areas like Lake Forest Park, Shireline, and north Seattle neighborhoods?

Old 10-20-2019, 09:29 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
Thanks!

Just to clarify, we're just looking to rent for the first year and get a feel for the area. Maybe buy after that if the conditions are right. I also heard the light rail will eventually make it up to North gate and eventually to Everett. Is that right or just a dream?

Yup, got you on the renting, all good. Light rail will hit Northgate in a couple years, after that Shoreline is the next goal. There is a commuter rail from Seattle to Everett right now (The Sounder).

Still don't know if she will be working in SLU or Bellevue. I guess that will change where we go since she will likely be driving to either 4 or 5 days a week.

Staying near I-90 would provide for both of those possibilities.

So with that said, overarching advice is stay as close to 90 as possible? What about northern areas like Lake Forest Park, Shireline, and north Seattle neighborhoods?
Yeah, cool spots but would be tough commute to Bellevue. Lake Forest Park looks appealing (being at the top of the lake) but traffic is tough both directions. If you both end up in Seattle, Shoreline or NE Seattle could be a nice choice. Yup, got you on the renting, all good. Light rail will hit Northgate in a couple years, after that Shoreline is the next goal. There is a commuter rail from Seattle to Everett right now (The Sounder).

Old 10-20-2019, 09:32 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
Hi Scorpion3510,
Welcome or as homesinseatle said “almost” .
I think you are going to like it.
I actually have several friends from work that live in Novato.
Nice place.

We bought a place that we are going to retire in on the Peninsula and love it.
My daughter lives in one of the houses there and we go up every 5-6 weeks.

It’s kind of a small world up there.
Two of our neighbors up there also live 5-6 miles from us down here.
No doubt you will find people near you up there that have roots to your Bay Area digs.

Once again welcome and good choice.
Andy.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Yeah, cool spots but would be tough commute to Bellevue. Lake Forest Park looks appealing (being at the top of the lake) but traffic is tough both directions. If you both end up in Seattle, Shoreline or NE Seattle could be a nice choice. Yup, got you on the renting, all good. Light rail will hit Northgate in a couple years, after that Shoreline is the next goal. There is a commuter rail from Seattle to Everett right now (The Sounder).

Thanks homesinseattle! I've read your sound advice for years on this forum. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area