Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 05:56 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,754,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
What are you talking about? I-976 would largely defund ST. Apart from some federal grants, only tax-payers within the ST District (encompassing parts of King, Snohomish, and Pierce Counties) are paying for ST.

Voting Yes is a classic "cutting off your nose to spite your face" vote.

Regardless, this is just another Eyman unconstitutional for-profit "mess" of an initiative that will be overturned as soon as a challenge hits the courts.
Perhaps I was not clear. If a NO vote wins here some of the funding of Sound Transit will come from Eastern Washington by definition. General funds are not separated by county if I remember my poly sci 101. But that was 40 years ago so I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 07:22 PM

6,301 posts, read 6,945,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatsu View Post
Sound Transit is entirely funded by people in the ST district. Nobody in Eastern WA pays a dime towards Sound Transit unless they travel to the ST district and purchase goods in stores. Meanwhile people in Western WA pay for Eastern WA's highways.
That is FALSE.....currently ALL eastern Washington DOT districts send more money to western Washington than they pay in state and Federal transportation taxes. To be fair, it is King County and the ferry system that receives the benefit of eastern Washington and southern Washington transportation taxes.

IF you want to feel better.....general fund taxes shift slightly from western Washington to eastern Washington. Last statistics in 2014?? that I ran showed ONE-HALF of ONE PERCENT in net tax revenues from western Washington to eastern Washington in state revenues. This did not include county expenses in eastern Washington to western Washington residents for search and rescue, unpaid hospital admission, and of course, guests of law enforcement facilities for western Washington residents misbehaving in eastern Washington.

In the end it is a draw!!!

But on the initiative......I am voting for it. The campaign against the initiative is an outright lie. The car tabs funding has little to do with bridge repair and other programs. I really did NOT appreciate a person wearing a vest showing the initials of WSP in the commercial......REALLY....The Washington State Patrol is against the initiative?? Insn't that against state law for a state agency to take a position on a initiative??

Old 10-21-2019, 08:37 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,053,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
I read the explanatory statement, and the arguments for and against, and I'm still on the fence as to my vote. I know the car fees are exorbitant and questionable. I don't drive, but that doesn't mean I don't see the situation from a car owners perspective. I'm keaning toward approving it, but not at the expense of leaving our bridges in disrepair. Will there be money to repair and retro-fit the bridges which are in bad need of attention?
I'm voting against it because I don't drive and I fully support the bus system, I remember back in 1999 when the $30 car tabs passed it totally affected the bus system and it was more difficult for me to get around, I don't want to see cutbacks on the bus transit system because I fully depend on it to help me get around.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:47 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,293,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Perhaps I was not clear. If a NO vote wins here some of the funding of Sound Transit will come from Eastern Washington by definition. General funds are not separated by county if I remember my poly sci 101. But that was 40 years ago so I could be wrong.
What frigging funds???? Sound Transit receives $0 from the general (or any other state) fund.

https://www.soundtransit.org/get-to-...gional-transit

As for King County Metro Transit:

Quote:
Before 2000, Metro relied on the state’s motor vehicle excise tax (MVET) for nearly one-third of its revenue. In 2000, following voter approval of Initiative 695, the state legislature eliminated the MVET for transit agencies. Today, Metro receives less than 1 percent of its funding from the state.
http://metro.kingcounty.gov/am/repor...w-02-03-14.pdf

Eyman knows perfectly well that this initiative, if approved, will be overturned as unconstitutional as soon as a complaint is filed in the courts. He doesn't care. He'll be laughing all the way to the bank. Anyone who votes for one of his initiatives is, as P.T. Barnum put it, a sucker.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:09 AM

11 posts, read 7,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fassopony View Post
I am voting YES. I don't care about Eymans's background, a broken clock is right twice a day.

VOTE YES!!

We have a HUGE TAX SURPLUS in this state, they need better money management not more of our hard earned money. The average salary at Sound Transit is over $80,000.00 per year. That is the average.
"Right twice a day"? How vapid. So, Hitler and Manson were right twice a day?

I am no fan of Sound Transit but your gripe is that they pay employees a liveable wage?!! Do you have ANY idea what average means? No, you don't. See, that means the director and top execs mayke over $150,000 a year and tons of others make $40,000-80,000 per year.

So, what do we know of fassopony?

a) his delusions have hime believing the state has more than enough money to build all of the rail and expanded other services and infrastructure promised (100% false)
b) he's cool with crooks, because they are correct about something 2x a day
c) people should be paid ****e wages so taxpayers don't have to pay fair price to those building, planning, running, cleaning and protecting our infrastructure
d) we will all have permission to laugh in his face when he's parked in traffic because the money wasn't there to build out our system thanks to cheap whiners like him.

Bravo!

Old 10-22-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
What frigging funds???? Sound Transit receives $0 from the general (or any other state) fund.

https://www.soundtransit.org/get-to-...gional-transit

As for King County Metro Transit:

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/am/repor...w-02-03-14.pdf

Eyman knows perfectly well that this initiative, if approved, will be overturned as unconstitutional as soon as a complaint is filed in the courts. He doesn't care. He'll be laughing all the way to the bank. Anyone who votes for one of his initiatives is, as P.T. Barnum put it, a sucker.
Exactly. There are a lot of wannabe experts on here that clearly went to Trump University of lies, ignorance and exploitation. Thanks for trying to clarify for those bozoz, CD. Probably pointless, but thank you.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
That is FALSE.....currently ALL eastern Washington DOT districts send more money to western Washington than they pay in state and Federal transportation taxes. To be fair, it is King County and the ferry system that receives the benefit of eastern Washington and southern Washington transportation taxes.

IF you want to feel better.....general fund taxes shift slightly from western Washington to eastern Washington. Last statistics in 2014?? that I ran showed ONE-HALF of ONE PERCENT in net tax revenues from western Washington to eastern Washington in state revenues. This did not include county expenses in eastern Washington to western Washington residents for search and rescue, unpaid hospital admission, and of course, guests of law enforcement facilities for western Washington residents misbehaving in eastern Washington.

In the end it is a draw!!!

But on the initiative......I am voting for it. The campaign against the initiative is an outright lie. The car tabs funding has little to do with bridge repair and other programs. I really did NOT appreciate a person wearing a vest showing the initials of WSP in the commercial......REALLY....The Washington State Patrol is against the initiative?? Insn't that against state law for a state agency to take a position on a initiative??
Sorry 509, on funding Sound Transit (the issue we're really here to discuss) you are so very wrong. "Sound Transit was created in 1993 by King, Pierce and Snohomish counties to build a regional rapid transit system. ... It is funded by local sales taxes, property taxes, and motor vehicle excise taxes, levied within its taxing district in portions of King, Pierce and Snohomish counties." Full stop. Whatever the case with the ferries, that has nothing to do with the funding of Sound transit, the agency 100% exlusively charged with building out our train system and with screwing up their car tab estimating method.

We must all vote NO -or watch as either a) taxpayer millions are wasted fighting (and winning) Eyman's idiotic initiative in court b) funding shortfalls choke out the Puget Sounds and, thus, the state economy, including the ability of Eastern WA to move its goods to its customer markets. #NoBrainer

Old 10-22-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
As I understand it, 976 will to some extent fund Sound Transit. Why should Eastern Washington residents be taxed for something they never use? Yes, on the repeal on 976. Western WA residents should pay for Sound Transit.
C'mon folks. This initiative has NOTHING to do with fees/taxes on Eastern WA. It is about car tab fees in the Puget Sound Region only. But, thanks, Eastern WA for telling your Western WA customers, shippers and processors to bugger off. Nice. ;-) You DO know that the Puget Sound region is the heart and lungs of WA State, no?

Old 10-22-2019, 02:38 AM

4,821 posts, read 1,990,327 times
All I know is that I'm voting "yes" since I feel that the current fees on a one year vehicle registration is very unfair and basically illegal since it was based on a fraud and/or a lie. Sorry, but $650 registration fee on a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a one year registration is very unfair.

Like Mopac1980,who is voting "no" since they're fine with this tax since they don't drive and solely depend on the bus services. Where I live in King County, "I" don't have any convenient "bus services" and in order to use Sound Transit, I would have to walk or take an Uber 5-6 miles, one-way, to again pay for a transportation service to get to and from work.

I depend on my vehicle to get to work. Plus, my job requires that I respond to an emergency in a timely manner and taking a bus isn't responding in a timely manner with all my equipment 24/7.

Believe it or not many of the working class need our vehicles to remain in the working class.

I do not have a problem at all with people voting in a manner that suits their needs the best, but at the same time, in return, they shouldn't blame the other half for putting their individual needs first as well. The last time I checked, we are/were a democracy and I've always obeyed the results of the vote... For better or worse.

On a side note if ST3 registration fees were 35% to 40% of what they're currently demanding, I might have agreed to it since I do see the need to pay taxes for infrastructure improvements.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:37 AM

Default Sorry MOPAC, I misread your post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I'm voting against it because I don't drive and I fully support the bus system, I remember back in 1999 when the $30 car tabs passed it totally affected the bus system and it was more difficult for me to get around, I don't want to see cutbacks on the bus transit system because I fully depend on it to help me get around.
I'm with you. To clarify, most of this $ will go to expanding rail/subway/Link but I hear you! :-)

Désolée!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area