Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 09:41 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

County predicts $60 million budget shortfall.

County predicts $60 million budget shortfall

When home values drop, you might expect taxes based upon those same home values to drop. I wouldn't expect them to drop very soon - if at all.
It seems some investments soured during the credit crunch.

http://www.metrokc.gov/budget/2007/adopted/11Append.pdf (broken link)

In the article, they mention cutting the police force. I wonder if that is a dig to get people excited about taxes or something.

So, what's your take on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 10:16 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
You'd think that with house prices going down , property taxes would fall, but when you combine that with some not so great investments...well, they've got to get the revenue from somewhere. Likely they will cut some services that the county has provided, and they'll change the "ratable" the amount per thousand of assessed valuation that we pay, but they can't put it all on the taxpayer, so...I'm guessing small tax increases, not the huge ones we've seen over the last few years.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:26 PM

271 posts, read 1,236,963 times
The assessed values are well below actual values, so they won't go down.

The county should get rid of the fluff projects such as helping drunks, druggies and the like. Give back to the people who pay taxes instead.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Unfortunately YES... WA property taxes will continue to go up and I fear they will continue to increase a lot.

Several retired military families that I've come to know have left WA and moved to lower property tax States in the South solely due to the reality or fear of loosing their home due to ever increasing property taxes.

I've posted before that my own assessment jumped 80% in ONE YEAR... and there isn't anything I can really do about it unless I want to fight the Assessor EVERY YEAR...

People in WA deserve to have some predictability when it comes to taxes... how long can working people continue to "Play" Property Tax Roulette???

Old 06-20-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
The assessed values are well below actual values, so they won't go down.

The county should get rid of the fluff projects such as helping drunks, druggies and the like. Give back to the people who pay taxes instead.
y

What do you suggest they do with addicts? Just let them die?

Old 06-24-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
y

What do you suggest they do with addicts? Just let them die?
If they are bad people, sure. Not everyone deserves to live among other people.

Don't you think we pay taxes for the law enforcement to keep these people from us?

What do you suggest? It is the high taxes (and climbing taxes) that help put these poorer people in these situations, so raising the taxes will just create more people like this.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:51 PM

Ah, so glad you asked that question...I won't even answer it.

I think Norm Stamper (A 35 year police veteran & former police chief of Seattle) said it best.

Here's a few first lines.

We need to be spending money on prevention, education, and treatment for those who want it, but we don't get it because we're spending too much on law enforcement. Those invested in the drug war continue to use their own propaganda to advance the cause of drug enforcement.

Rest of the article is here:

DRCNet Interview: Former Seattle Police Chief Norm Stamper

As for suggetions, I suggest I need to have your ring of alignment detection.

How can you tell if someone is "bad?" or "good?" How do you make the determination that - once cleaned up - someone might actually have something to add to society? Or that they would be totally sucky and deserve to die; sick, cold and malnourished?

I guess I need you to define "bad." Like bad for 2 weeks? Or bad for a year? Or bad forever, or what? And how would you know they would be bad forever?

40 years ago, unwed mothers were "bad". Now we have "Juno"; a heartwarming tale of an unwed mother. 40 years ago, she'd have been sent off to God knows where.

Society and it's norms crack me up. Constantly changing, constantly variable. What's "bad" today, meh....well....we'll see.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:26 PM

I define a bad person someone who has caused harm upon another, such as mugging, robbing, violence . . . etc.

These people should be hanged, but instead they out. I don't think people should get 3 or 4 or 5 more chances.

I think 2nd chance is all that is needed, the 3rd time they cause another person pain or commit another crime, they get executed within the year. Simple, it works.

I think your 'bad' terms are little strange.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:25 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
So if I have a shoplifting habit, and get caught three times, I should get hung?
...And should it be televised?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:38 PM

A little over a month old, but meh. It has a handy, dandy chart, too!

With house prices down, why are tax assessments up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: