Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 06:23 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times

Advertisements

"Western Washington could endure some extreme weather this winter, which could potentially include more lowland snow. Now is the time to prepare for a season of strong storms.

This year, we’re not expecting an El Niño or La Niña pattern. Instead, we’re in what’s called a “neutral phase.” There isn’t a solid, well-established relationship between local weather conditions and a neutral winter. Btu experts note that storms which do occur in these kinds of set-ups can be quite intense.

UW Professor Cliff Mass warns that weather in a neutral year can be wild."

Link here: https://komonews.com/news/local/time...tSin4Bwr9bL0kU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 07:59 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
Fake news.....

Its been one of the driest Novembers on record. I predict an extremely mild winter, with the possibility of ONE snowstorm in February. We need to start a pool, for when the snow will fall.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:11 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
The Weather Channel national projections show a warm and drier winter in the PNW this season. They are not always right, however.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wint...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 11-15-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The Weather Channel national projections show a warm and drier winter in the PNW this season. They are not always right, however.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wint...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Case in point!

Im taking 2 boxes. February 3rd and February 21st.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:18 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
NOAA climate prediction center has the entire country warmer than average this winter, with the exception of upper Midwest. They have color coded maps for temperature and precipitation outlooks.
Once again Alaska is expected to lead the way with excellent chances for above average temps. Perhaps it’s the new normal.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:18 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
"Western Washington could endure some extreme weather this winter, which could potentially include more lowland snow. Now is the time to prepare for a season of strong storms.

This year, we’re not expecting an El Niño or La Niña pattern. Instead, we’re in what’s called a “neutral phase.” There isn’t a solid, well-established relationship between local weather conditions and a neutral winter. Btu experts note that storms which do occur in these kinds of set-ups can be quite intense.

UW Professor Cliff Mass warns that weather in a neutral year can be wild."

Link here: https://komonews.com/news/local/time...tSin4Bwr9bL0kU
Nobody can predict 3 months in advance. Typical sensationalism.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:57 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Cliff Mass tends to go against the grain quite a bit. However, with weather, he always has a shot of being correct since weather is so unpredictable.

This late fall/early winter is starting out moderate, but like last February we all realize it can change on a dime. Though my hunch is last February was somewhat an aberration.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Cliff Mass tends to go against the grain quite a bit. However, with weather, he always has a shot of being correct since weather is so unpredictable.

This late fall/early winter is starting out moderate, but like last February we all realize it can change on a dime. Though my hunch is last February was somewhat an aberration.
I feel ya. February is my greatest hunch for snow in any region.

And I hope it does! Kids in my hood had a blast! Im next door to hilly power lines trail and the kids made a killer downhill sled-jump which I have plenty of photos of and most of them requested me to text the photos. It sucks about the lack of plowing of roads because most businesses tend to just shut down till its clear. Adapt and overcome I always say. IMHO it's just another plus for Searrle area.

Last edited by 41Willys; 11-15-2019 at 11:00 PM..

Old 11-15-2019, 11:10 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Crap-tastic reporting.

Here is what Cliff really says about extended forecasts:

[url]https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/10/extended-forecasts-are-not-reliable.html[/url]

While you're at it check out his latest post titled "A Little Rain, Followed by the Big Dry" Here is a sentence from it:

"let's call it the big dry. Very unusual considering the time of the year--with the last two weeks of the November being the wettest climatologically for our region"

There is no mention of "extreme weather" other than it being abnormally warm and dry. It COULD get wild at some point, but I direct your attention to my second line. And then we go in circles.

I ignore the news for the most part, but today I learned about the fires in Australia (poor Koalas) and Venice flooding and we're not so seasonal ourselves and I'm like, "okay, sure... we've talked about this before..."

Old 11-15-2019, 11:36 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Case in point!

Im taking 2 boxes. February 3rd and February 21st.
My first two picks!

Okay, mark me Feb 14th and Feb 25th!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area