Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:45 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmrider View Post
Rent, at the beginning, I would think I could afford around 15-18 hundred for rent. I will have a first grader and a 4th grader. So good schools are a must.
If you're going to rent first, we live in the Issaquah Highlands (we have a fairly new elementary school), and we have a 3 bedroom 1600+ square foot townhome that we rent for about $1700/month.

It's very, very family friendly here, and you can commute downtown on the bus (the park and ride is less than a mile from our house), and it's like a 30-45 minute bus ride.

V. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 05:52 PM

479 posts, read 2,223,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
If you're going to rent first, we live in the Issaquah Highlands (we have a fairly new elementary school), and we have a 3 bedroom 1600+ square foot townhome that we rent for about $1700/month.

It's very, very family friendly here, and you can commute downtown on the bus (the park and ride is less than a mile from our house), and it's like a 30-45 minute bus ride.

V. =)
Issaquah Highlands is really nice, if you could find something there to rent. Here is some more info:

Issaquah Highlands New Homes & Homebuilders in Issaquah

//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...highlands.html

Old 04-20-2008, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 11,063 times
Thanks to all of you for the information. This is a very difficult decision, as you could imagine. I am actually flying in next week and staying for about a week, to drive to different areas and such.

Anymore information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot1

Old 04-20-2008, 07:52 PM

17 posts, read 54,187 times
Default Snoqualmie Ridge

We moved to WA a few years ago and decided on Snoqualmie Ridge. It has been a great place to live with school age children, super family friendly. Most people have been so welcoming. There are social events planned thru the Owner's Assocation for adults and for families. We are invited for impromptu cookouts often by neighbors. The community is full of new WA residents from all over the country, and others raised in WA or more specifically the Seattle/Bellevue area.

There is a new elementary school in the first phase whose staff and principal are great. There is a growing retail section which has restaurants, shops, a library, dry cleaners, spa, hair salon, daycare/preschool, IGA grocery (which is just ok, not like a large chain), a local coffe shop and a Starbucks (a must for any new Northwesterner!). A gas station is to open soon as well. There a parks all around the subdivisions, trails for biking and running. The views of the Cascade Range and Mount Si are amazing, Mount Rainier out my son's classroom window on a clear day!

Your travel time to Seattle should run you 45 minutes and easily under an hour, depending upon traffic of course. Snoqualmie Ridge is east on I-90 from Seattle and Bellevue.

The beauty of the location is being able to go west into Bellevue in 20-25 minutes, downtown in 40-45, or east to Snoqualmie Pass to ski, board, snowmobile, or tube in 25 minutes. There is so much to do and see to explore the region by a couple hour drive.

Here is the ROA site
Snoqualmie Ridge News, Links and Events
If you golf we have a fabulous Jack Nicklaus designed golf course in the neighborhood. Washington Golf Club - Seattle Private Golf Course - TPC at Snoqualmie Ridge The seniors tournament in August is a fun-filled event bring in big names from all over. Golf or social memberships are another way to meet more people.

There are rentals or leases sometimes available on the Ridge. IMO, it has been the perfect choice for us.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:19 PM

87 posts, read 301,479 times
Here are the facts:

You dont have to go all the way to Puylallup, check out Kent and Federal Way. There are many good neighborhoods and homes in the low 300's in both cities. Yes, the commute sucks into Seattle downtown but you can actually buy an affordable and nice home. Schools are another story.

Schools in Western Washington have always been a roll of the dice. You get what you pay for which is another way of saying it's mostly better in areas where home prices are higher e.g., the eastside Redmond/Sammamish/Issaquah plataeu and Snoqualmie Ridge (if you enjoy wind). And, Seattle schools?

By the way, forget Snoqualmie Ridge, you cant afford it on $70k income unless you happen to have a big down payment. Renting is a better option there.

On your income, the best bet is to rent only in the best area you can afford if schools are the main issue for your family.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:11 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
jdmrider, if you're looking on a map, that's actually spelled Puyallup.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:20 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
...and correctly pronounce pyoo-wallup?

Old 04-20-2008, 09:21 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
...and correctly pronounce pyoo-wallup?
Hahahahahahaha!!! And we're back where we started!!!! Hahahahaha!!!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:21 PM

479 posts, read 2,223,265 times
I thought of another place to add to your list:
Renton: There is a part of Renton that belongs to the Issaquah school district. It might be worth looking into.

I have to admit, I just realized that I misread your original post and I was thinking that you had four chidren, which is why I suggested Puyallup (for the ability to get a bigger house, etc., so disregard that)

The average income and housing price in Snoqulmie Ridge is high, but 3 bd houses are availabe in the high 300's to low 400's, downtown is more affordable. The zip code is 98065. Here is a $1500 rental in Snoqualmie Ridge: Free standing cottage for rent in Snoqualmie Ridge (broken link)

The majority of Snoqualmie Ridge attends Cascade View Elementary, but part of the neighborhood (the newest neighborhoods) attend Snoqualmie Elem in downtown Snoquamlmie, which is more affordable than the Ridge.

I have heard good things about the following Seattle public Elementary schools: View Ridge, Laurelhurst, Bryant, AE2.

A lot of it is going to depend on whether or not you want to rent in a place that you might eventually want to stay and buy in, which is what makes things a little trickier.

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:44 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Let me second Prple's comment about that part of Renton in the Issaquah School District. For the most part, that's a gorgeous around the May Valley Road and Squak Mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area