Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 01:58 AM

26 posts, read 116,409 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are hopefully moving to seattle in January and i've been researching neighborhoods for a while. We are not going to be making a lot of money, my husband is a musician and i am a student who will be starting grad school in January, we would like to rent a home because we have 2 dogs that need a backyard. I heard that the green lake and greenwood areas are good but seem to be really expensive and I mostly see apartments for rent. I heard that South and West Seattle are not good places and neither is Everett. All i want is an affordable home in a safe area, it doesn't have to be anything close to fancy or upper middle class, just safe. Oh and we don't mind moving a little farther away from the downtown area as long as we can take some form of public transportation. Can anyone offer any advice? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 04:26 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
Keep in mind Seattle is more expensive to live than Orlando. How much did you have in mind for rent? South and West Seattle actually do have great neighborhoods within walking distance of excellent public transportation.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:13 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
A lot of West Seattle is great and beautiful. Some of South Seattle is also great and beautiful, but there are also parts somewhat sketchier. Renton is another place with great quick public transit to downtown.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:49 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
Hi Deboart. Welcome to the idea of moving to the Seattle area!
Here are some useful resources to search for a place.

This is NWSource, the combined Classifieds of the two major local newspapers. Tons of useful information. The map can help you learn where cities and neighborhoods are.
NWapartments: Seattle apartment rentals, house rental listings, rental classifieds and other property rentals in Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue and other Washington areas, cities and neighborhoods | - Search by area

On the map, if you click on "West" you can access the advertised rentals for West Seattle. Alki, Admiral, West Seattle and Delridge would probably be the better locations (safer).

Back on the first page, if you click on "South", you can find rentals for Beacon Hill, Georgetown, Mount Baker, Columbia City.

Back on the first page, click the box for "South King County" and the map that will open shows Renton, which has a box you can click for the rentals.

Other resources are:
craigslist
rent.com
forrent.com
apartments.com

Have fun planning!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:30 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,697,727 times
We need to know what your want to spend in rent to figure out what you think expensive is.

And which school will you go to Grad School - and do you want to be close to that school or do you care if you have a commute. The farther out you go from the City the cheaper things will be.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:47 PM

8 posts, read 57,983 times
Don't forget about looking North. Shoreline, Mountlake Terrace, and Edmonds all have some affordable rentals. If you're doing your grad work at UW, you might find the bus ride a little shorter from those cities then the south end (Like Renton, Kent, or Auburn).

There are some affordable areas of West Seattle. Check out Ballard, Wallingford and the Northgate areas as well.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:13 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
One thing to know is that you might have to be persistent to find a rental home that will allow 2 dogs. When I moved to Seattle (Ballard), it took 73 tries before we found an owner who was OK with our two medium-sized dogs.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:08 AM

6 posts, read 12,529 times
With regard to South and West Seattle the "undesirable" is a little unfair and it's all relative. Rainier Valley (South) , South Park (West) and White Center (West) are poorer neighborhoods. None of them are particularly unsafe, but you might be frustrated by the lack of amenities.

On the South end, Columbia City is hip and has a lot of restaurants, cafes and what have you. Seward Park/Leschi both have houses facing Lake Washington and are very desirable neighborhoods. Beacon Hill (my neighborhood) is almost a block-by-block patchwork. There are low-cost apartments and nice blocks full of 85 year-old Craftsman houses and young couples.

Most of West Seattle is quite nice. Alki has the beach and condos with views facing Seattle. The Junction (intersection of Alaska and California) has shops, theaters, restaurants, and other good things.

The main drawback of West Seattle is it's a ways out and commuting from there can be a pain depending on when you go and where. Access to downtown is not bad. Much past that and you're going to be spending a lot of time in your car.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:41 AM

26 posts, read 116,409 times
Default Thanks

Thank you all for your help. Right now I pay $900 a month for a small 3 bedroom house with a small yard. I can afford a bit more than that maybe like $1,500 maximum, but that would be high. My two dogs are small, both weigh less than 20 pounds. I am going to school online so i don't have to commute but i do need to get a job and my husband as well, that is why we want an area where we can access public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area