Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 04:44 PM

14 posts, read 19,974 times

Advertisements

I work at NASA in Huntsville, AL. I hear rumors that no engineer at Kemp Washington wants to move to the new Blue Origin's engine plant in Huntsville AL. Just curious if this true. I am personally from Tampa Florida and love the Huntsville area. It is a great place to raise a family, not to mention the affordability. Not sure why people from the West Coast despise the thought of moving here. Any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 05:05 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Alabama is great for people that like Alabama. It's inland and even if one drove to the Gulf Coast, the water is brown and murky. It's hot and humid in the summer with huge bugs. It's not West Coast culture which some people from the West Coast will definitely care about. Alabama is ranked poorly in a number of categories including schools. That's not to say I wouldn't encourage anyone from moving to Alabama. We are extremely full here and growing by the minute. If 500 people wanted to leave Seattle and move to Alabama I would think that is great. I just don't see a lot of people wanting to leave beautiful Puget Sound and living between the Olympic and Cascade mountain ranges to sweat in Huntsville but Alabama is a lot cheaper.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:13 PM

14 posts, read 19,974 times
I agree, Alabama is hot and humid in the mid summer AND there is no comparison with the foothill of the Appalachian Mountains to the Cascade Mountains but the taxes are definitely lower and with the low cost of living, low traffic, great jobs and housing market makes it appealing. We do have mild winters and I think we have a lot more sunshine than Seattle. The biggest plus for me is I can get a 4 bedroom 3 bath 3000 SQFT house for under 300K.

No, Huntsville can't duplicate the things to do in Seattle but it offers a lot for a mid-size city. http://www.huntsvillescoop.com/thingstodo.html

As for schools you can't compare Huntsville with the rest of Alabama. According to the Huntsville Chamber of Commerce, education is a major economic driver and workforce development tool in the city.

City of Huntsville and Madison City school systems have integrated science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) into the curriculum beginning in kindergarten; children learn computer programming, advanced manufacturing, 3D gaming and research and development in their classes and schoolwork.

By the time they reach the 10th grade, many students are taking college-level classes that permit them to enter institutions of higher learning as sophomores and juniors.

City of Huntsville schools have an 88 percent graduation rate. Nearby Madison City schools have a 97 percent graduation rate, and Madison County schools have a 93 percent graduation rate.

Madison City schools boast average ACT scores of 23.5 (vs. the national average of 20.8); 60 percent of graduates received college scholarships averaging over $38,000 each; and 92 percent of graduates pursue post-secondary education.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:24 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,291,410 times
Huntsville zip code 35896 – an area around Oakwood College – is the most liberal place in Alabama. There's a 92 percent probability someone living there is a Democrat. Huntsville as a whole is pretty “blue”, might be useful info to a relocating Northwesterner.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldD View Post
I agree, Alabama is hot and humid in the mid summer AND there is no comparison with the foothill of the Appalachian Mountains to the Cascade Mountains but the taxes are definitely lower and with the low cost of living, low traffic, great jobs and housing market makes it appealing. We do have mild winters and I think we have a lot more sunshine than Seattle. The biggest plus for me is I can get a 4 bedroom 3 bath 3000 SQFT house for under 300K.

No, Huntsville can't duplicate the things to do in Seattle but it offers a lot for a mid-size city. http://www.huntsvillescoop.com/thingstodo.html

As for schools you can't compare Huntsville with the rest of Alabama. According to the Huntsville Chamber of Commerce, education is a major economic driver and workforce development tool in the city.

City of Huntsville and Madison City school systems have integrated science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) into the curriculum beginning in kindergarten; children learn computer programming, advanced manufacturing, 3D gaming and research and development in their classes and schoolwork.

By the time they reach the 10th grade, many students are taking college-level classes that permit them to enter institutions of higher learning as sophomores and juniors.

City of Huntsville schools have an 88 percent graduation rate. Nearby Madison City schools have a 97 percent graduation rate, and Madison County schools have a 93 percent graduation rate.

Madison City schools boast average ACT scores of 23.5 (vs. the national average of 20.8); 60 percent of graduates received college scholarships averaging over $38,000 each; and 92 percent of graduates pursue post-secondary education.
Hear that Seattle? Huntsville, Alabama is waiting. Cheaper and the schools are apparently the best in Alabama. While the tax burden in Washington is ranked #32 in the country, Alabama is ranked #42 so lower taxes. What a deal.
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/

Old 01-04-2020, 10:40 PM

40 posts, read 24,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Alabama is great for people that like Alabama. It's inland and even if one drove to the Gulf Coast, the water is brown and murky. It's hot and humid in the summer with huge bugs. It's not West Coast culture which some people from the West Coast will definitely care about. Alabama is ranked poorly in a number of categories including schools. That's not to say I wouldn't encourage anyone from moving to Alabama. We are extremely full here and growing by the minute. If 500 people wanted to leave Seattle and move to Alabama I would think that is great. I just don't see a lot of people wanting to leave beautiful Puget Sound and living between the Olympic and Cascade mountain ranges to sweat in Huntsville but Alabama is a lot cheaper.
What beaches are you going to? Gulf Shores, West Beach, Orange Beach and Perdido/the pass are clear water with white sands. Granted it’s a poorer state, and summers can be quite humid, but it’s not all that bad.

Last edited by Wanderlust19; 01-04-2020 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: Misspelled words

Old 01-04-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust19 View Post
What beaches are you going to? Gulf Shores, West Beach, Orange Beach and Perdido/the pass are clear water with white sands. Granted it’s a poorer state, and summers can be quite humid, but it’s not all that bad.
I've been to Biloxi and was shocked by the brown murky water. That said, if Alabama's beaches are nicer, that is great, yet another reason for people to move there. I encourage people to consider moving to Alabama and there's probably not a single Seattle metro driver that wouldn't like to see fewer people on our highways.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...641038260.html

Old 01-05-2020, 08:33 AM

301 posts, read 312,259 times
I cannot speak for the entire PNW of course but for us it would be - climate, views, things to do and political leanings. Generally speaking people at Blue Origin likely have good resumes and can afford to be picky about the place where they live. Or to put it another way - if my company was relocating to Alabama, choice between moving to Alabama and moving to a new company would be a trivial one. Cheaper houses are great and all but I don't think they are cheaper per se, in my opinion it's more of "you get what you pay for" sort of deal.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:50 AM

8,170 posts, read 8,291,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_b View Post
I cannot speak for the entire PNW of course but for us it would be - climate, views, things to do and political leanings. Generally speaking people at Blue Origin likely have good resumes and can afford to be picky about the place where they live. Or to put it another way - if my company was relocating to Alabama, choice between moving to Alabama and moving to a new company would be a trivial one. Cheaper houses are great and all but I don't think they are cheaper per se, in my opinion it's more of "you get what you pay for" sort of deal.
I wouldn't live there but there are also some really cool caves and waterfalls close to Huntsville. With NASA Marshall Space Center being there and there being appropriate talent and lower price of living, I can see that it makes sense.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:01 PM

301 posts, read 312,259 times
Yeah, I don't think that Alabama is "why would anyone want to live there" kind of place. It definitely has some appeal and I can see why. But at the same time, if that rumor is correct and no Blue Origin employee wants to move from here to there, I can also see why and that doesn't come as a surprise to me either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area