Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 10:23 AM

35 posts, read 29,370 times

Advertisements

How was the parking at Paine field over Thanksgiving? Did it fill up? Are there any private off site lots like there is at Sea-Tac? I'm flying out of Paine for the first time Christmas morning. I'm expecting it to be as busy as it can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 10:58 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,054,439 times
Lol. Paine Field is nothing like SeaTac. There are 2 flights per hour and security takes 90 seconds no matter how busy it is. It's always the same. As far as I know, there are no private parking lots nearby. It's a great airport if you want to relax.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:29 PM

8,154 posts, read 8,198,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamushy View Post
How was the parking at Paine field over Thanksgiving? Did it fill up? Are there any private off site lots like there is at Sea-Tac? I'm flying out of Paine for the first time Christmas morning. I'm expecting it to be as busy as it can be.
Hi bella,

Here's some Paine Field parking info, hope this helps: https://flypainefield.com/about/parking

Old 12-02-2019, 12:14 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,182,178 times
Paine Field is the current, undisputed best airport experience in the country for little domestic flights. Never seen parking fill up, even over Thanksgiving

Old 12-04-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Paine Field is the current, undisputed best airport experience in the country for little domestic flights. Never seen parking fill up, even over Thanksgiving
This is good to hear. I heard somewhere that the parking lots were small.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:46 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,914,798 times
Geez, has anyone here flown out of a small airport before? Other than being brand new I haven't found Paine Field to be dramatically different than other small facilities I've visited. IMHO it has pretty big advantages and pretty big disadvantages- and is definitely better suited to some situations than others...

Anyway, to answer the OP's question: I've only taken a shuttle there and picked up/dropped off others. But I'd reserve valet parking, because I've heard plenty of other people say that they've arrived to find the "economy" lot ($20/day) full, and were forced to go to valet ($30/day) or premium ($30/day)- if any spaces were available. There are no off-premises discount private lots at this time. Best not to chance it.

Last edited by bartonizer; 12-04-2019 at 05:19 PM..

Old 12-04-2019, 07:44 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,964,657 times
The long term parking is more expensive than JFK.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:16 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,079,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Geez, has anyone here flown out of a small airport before? Other than being brand new I haven't found Paine Field to be dramatically different than other small facilities I've visited. IMHO it has pretty big advantages and pretty big disadvantages- and is definitely better suited to some situations than others...

Anyway, to answer the OP's question: I've only taken a shuttle there and picked up/dropped off others. But I'd reserve valet parking, because I've heard plenty of other people say that they've arrived to find the "economy" lot ($20/day) full, and were forced to go to valet ($30/day) or premium ($30/day)- if any spaces were available. There are no off-premises discount private lots at this time. Best not to chance it.
Flew out of it yesterday. $30/day to park in one of the three Premium lots seemed a bit much, but oh well. The spots weren't even marked. I parked opposite the control tower, not 100' away with couple fences between. Ten bucks (more than "economy") well spent, I'm not hauling a bunch of **** a quarter mile down the road from the "economy" lot or take a "shuttle" about same distance. It all seemed to be a joke.

The airport is cute and amusing, they're just getting the passenger thing going. Service on Alaska was efficient as usual. There was a United desk too. No hitches. Fun to try, and would go again if there is a burning reason just to avoid the hustle of SeaTac. I have that place down to a science, though, between TSA Pre and CLEAR. TSA pre bought me 15 min at Paine Field this time (outbound).

Seemed a lot like Sacramento way back when (twenty years ago), and other airports barely big enough for airliners. They had those Embraers for Alaska, the jets analogous (I think) to the Boeing 717 for size comparison. First class was 1, 2 (L to R) and regular = 2, 2 across. Built just a couple years ago, the one I was on, per some nerd air travel app I found.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:41 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,914,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Flew out of it yesterday. $30/day to park in one of the three Premium lots seemed a bit much, but oh well. The spots weren't even marked. I parked opposite the control tower, not 100' away with couple fences between. Ten bucks (more than "economy") well spent, I'm not hauling a bunch of **** a quarter mile down the road from the "economy" lot or take a "shuttle" about same distance. It all seemed to be a joke.

The airport is cute and amusing, they're just getting the passenger thing going. Service on Alaska was efficient as usual. There was a United desk too. No hitches. Fun to try, and would go again if there is a burning reason just to avoid the hustle of SeaTac. I have that place down to a science, though, between TSA Pre and CLEAR. TSA pre bought me 15 min at Paine Field this time (outbound).

Seemed a lot like Sacramento way back when (twenty years ago), and other airports barely big enough for airliners. They had those Embraers for Alaska, the jets analogous (I think) to the Boeing 717 for size comparison. First class was 1, 2 (L to R) and regular = 2, 2 across. Built just a couple years ago, the one I was on, per some nerd air travel app I found.
Totally reasonable assessment- I wasn't trying to be too harsh on the place, which I think you understand. I'm just kind of amused by people going gaga over what are typical attributes in small airports (quick security, minimal hassles). Ultimately I'd rather not spend time in an airport, though- so as long as I make it on time for the flight, I'm happy. Ultimately it looks and feels like a new hotel's lobby/restaurant area, and is tidy and pleasant- though from my experiences the small layout has been quite congested when several flights arrive or depart in a short span...

Of course, as I mentioned earlier-where you live and where you're headed factor heavily into using Paine Field. For the time being (and near future, given the growth restrictions), it's pretty limited. I'm in Bellingham, and my organization is based out of NYC, so I'm there or DC for work a number of times a year. In those cases I'd still rather fly out of Sea-Tac for nonstops across the country-or even BLI to Sea-Tac. But for those on Whidbey or in the north metro area going on short trips to west coast destinations, it's nice experience. And it is much less stressful for pickups and dropoffs.

And then yeah, parking. I still think it's exorbitant, even if they cap the cost at $150/week. I just have a conceptual problem with the minimum $20/day rates-and the lack of peripheral or off-site, budget alternatives-especially if it's for a longer trip and the ticket prices are higher and involve more connecting flights.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:47 PM

Thought I'd give an update. There was pleanty of parking in the premium lot Christmas morning. The handicapped spots were taken but valet parking doesn't cost extra. There were a few spots available for electric car charging.

Unfortunately our flight was canceled. Alaska offered a cab to Sea-Tac at no cost to catch another flight. We drove ourselves instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area