Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 11:04 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Because I posed a hypothetical, not an actual, situation.

It's far more likely that if my husband leaves his job he will transition seamlessly into a different role/industry without having any gap in employment. In the event that he doesn't, however, I need to have a contingency plan based on accurate projections in expenses.

I asked my husband about ACA, but he says "It's broken, it doesn't work, a total failure and Obama knew it would be all along..."
Share this with him. ACA had great promise but was sabotaged every step of the way. https://www.healthinsurance.org/blog...ged-obamacare/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 12:03 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
I asked my husband about ACA, but he says "It's broken, it doesn't work, a total failure and Obama knew it would be all along..."
That's an exaggeration. Trump has done everything he can to undercut it, but getting rid of it would require a 60-vote super-majority in the Senate, which he doesn't have.

Quote:
Since Donald Trump took office, his administration has withheld cost-sharing subsidies; ended the individual mandate; backed the law’s repeal in court; slashed outreach funding; temporarily suspended risk-adjustment payments; promoted skimpy health plans; undercut the small-group insurance market; discouraged Medicaid enrollment by adding work requirements; and weakened rules against discrimination of all types.

The fruits of the GOP’s labors are plain to see. The nation’s uninsured rate is climbing again despite the lowest unemployment rate in half a century. That’s not a very good advertisement for an employer-based health insurance system.

Republican sabotage of the ACA has also had the pernicious effect of undermining the private insurance market. Those rates are rising faster than economic growth in part because uncompensated care is again on the upswing and getting piled onto the extra costs employers already shoulder to make up for shortfalls in government reimbursement.

To cope, employers are shifting more costs to families with higher co-pays and deductibles. The result is an affordability crisis and growing public outrage over the high provider prices they’re now exposed to, often through out-of-network charges.
https://www.modernhealthcare.com/opi...-medicare-more

Old 12-03-2019, 12:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
WA Apple Care would be about $10 / month if your MAGI is below the Cliff.
"$100,400 for a family of 4" (2019)

Mine is $3.31 (for 2 old folks)

I WAS paying $300 / month BEFORE ACA
$1700 / month (for 2) After ACA
$2700 / month after 3 yrs ACA (then we became 'uninsured')

We used Health Sharing ministry ($300 . month for family) Not insurance but it has paid for my friends and family, including cancer, ICU, Brain surgery for niece.

We also use https://www.patientsbeyondborders.com/
$700 RT to Thailand and care is GREAT for operations / treatments. (USA trained Dr's / ~ 1/10th USA prices)

Consider a Private Pay HMO will be $1700 - $2000 / month (with high deductible)

Old 12-03-2019, 02:58 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
The medical system in the U.S. is ridiculously overpriced. Greedy doctors, high prices for the doctor's education, greedy medical insurance companies that have to make enough profit to keep investors happy and greedy drug companies are all responsible for this.

It's the biggest reason I'm thinking of retiring somewhere outside of the U.S.
This is one of the reasons I do not want to return to the US.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:08 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
This is one of the reasons I do not want to return to the US.
How effing pathetic that after giving 40-50 productive years to the world's "most prosperous" country that you would be rewarded with having to flee in order to afford life. I know it's a bit hyperbole, but not completely.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:01 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
Quote:
Because I posed a hypothetical, not an actual, situation.

I can see why you post on CD with your husband saying uninformed statements about ACA. I hope you will be able to educate him. Agree CHIP with an ACA subsidy would probably be the way to go on your income. I think you can sign up after open enrollment when you loose your insurance form an employment change. Speak with a navigator about your options.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:16 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
How effing pathetic that after giving 40-50 productive years to the world's "most prosperous" country that you would be rewarded with having to flee in order to afford life. I know it's a bit hyperbole, but not completely.

Not hyperbole at all. We work for the prosperity of the few.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:24 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I can see why you post on CD with your husband saying uninformed statements about ACA. I hope you will be able to educate him. Agree CHIP with an ACA subsidy would probably be the way to go on your income. I think you can sign up after open enrollment when you loose your insurance form an employment change. Speak with a navigator about your options.
I would not want to take up a professional advisor's time since I'm only working through a hypothetical situation, and a dynamic one at that. Our income could be as little as $50k or as much as $200k (there is a -foreign-based- family business that is beginning to assert itself into our lives... not our legal asset, but will be at some point).

He is uninformed, but not anymore than most anyone else, especially for one who never needed it.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:30 PM

806 posts, read 604,239 times
Quote:
Next year we will hit 2 major milestones.. becoming mortgage-free and "barista FIRE" (Barista FIRE is a term coined by "Financial Samurai" and other well-known FIRE bloggers to describe individuals who are financially independent with the support of one part-time, minimum wage work like working at a coffee shop), often just for health insurance eligibility...

I am trying to project numbers that include private health insurance in the event that my husband quits his job to pursue a different interest. We've only briefly used private insurance for a couple months when we first got married.. a different time, a different state...

Does anyone have resources or know from experience how much private health care costs for the Seattle/Western WA area?
The one good thing Trumpie has done is brought back short term insurance plans. So you can now get catastrophic insurance at a guaranteed rate for 6months to 3years. We are in a similar position as your family, we have been a FIRE family before it was even a term. Look at United Healthcare and their plan options since they are the most legit company offering these plans from my own research. If you are healthy you will save a ton of dough!

Old 12-05-2019, 06:17 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
I agree.

But on the positive side (for some of us) if I have a serious medical issue I'll go to Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok.

I read a poster's OP in the retirement thread a couple months ago. He worked for 35 years. Saved, invested. Wanted to leave the rat race (his words) at 55 but medical insurance costs after quitting kept him at his job because he didn't qualify for medicare.

The whole system either drains people, ruins them, or destroys them.

I visit yes, but I don't ever want to come back ever to live.

I'm not negative at all. Just realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: