Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 09:02 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,651,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
To the brainwashed younger generations, everybody gets a trophy and nobody should have guns
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Most kids today are soft.
At least you can admit that your generation were bad parents rather than blaming the children for how they were raised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 10:37 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,003,716 times
My kids are producers and do well.
They contribute to the community and are kind.

They learned these skills from a proper 2 parent home that expected them to produce.
We have sheltered them from people that believe everyone should get a trophy.

It is not a generation of bad parents.
This is what you get when you have a small but yet very vocal group that rewards bad behaviors and values.
This is what happens when everyone gets a trophy.

Old 01-21-2022, 01:17 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,061,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
"Oust Seattle Enemy Aliens” read the _Seattle Star_’s front-page headline on February 16th, 1942. It was just over two months since the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor and the outbreak of war with Japan, and local sentiment ran high against local Japanese and Japanese-American residents. The Seattle Star, a popular daily newspaper published from 1889-1947, provides an excellent window into the question of how such strong anti-Japanese sentiment arose in the months between the attack on Pearl Harbor and the issue of Executive Order 9066, which established the federal wartime internment camps. This essay examines the Seattle Star from December 1941 through February 1942, focusing on the Star’s reaction to key events such as the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the issue of Executive Order 9066 and, in particular, on the paper’s hostile and sometimes racist portrayal of native Japanese and Japanese-Americans, especially after the paper was sold in January 1942. By analyzing letters to the editor during these months, this approach also allows us to discover the local non-Japanese population’s views on the war and the idea of internment."

Link here: https://depts.washington.edu/civilr/...attle_star.htm
Back to the original topic, the paranoia that led to the Japanese-American (and Japanese-Canadian) internments was pretty much a global phenomenon. My father-in-law was a German Jew living in Holland when the Nazis invaded in 1940. He escaped with his (Dutch) wife and many others on a stolen lifeboat that was eventually intercepted by a Royal Navy destroyer.

Upon arriving in England, he was immediately sent to Pentonville Prison (the UK equivalent of Sing Sing or some such) and later to open-air incarceration on the Isle of Man, before being sent to a labor camp in New Brunswick (Canada) because he was an "enemy alien." On the ship crossing the Atlantic, the German Jewish refugees were accompanied by a large number of SS POWs; it was only after a hunger strike that the Jews and the Nazis were segregated on the boat. He was in Canada for two years before being allowed to return to the UK, but was placed basically on "house arrest" after being reunited with his wife. Paranoia (especially when combined with antisemitism) can run deep.

It's not widely known, but the Aleut Natives of the Aleutian Islands were also forcibly interned during World War II. These American citizens were summarily moved into internment camps in Southeast Alaska, where disease decimated their ranks. When they returned to their towns and villages after the war, they found that many of their homes had been ransacked or razed by US military occupants during the war. Here's a picture of some of the wartime huts built on the hillsides overlooking the town of Unalaska using materials and often furnishings looted from the vacated (or confiscated) Native homes.

Another view of the same area

Old 01-21-2022, 05:15 PM

1,368 posts, read 705,671 times
The best outcomes from events like these is to remember them, understand the context and work towards compensating those who were wronged and putting in place protections so the same things cannot happen again.

The reason Americans justified these actions is by actively working to make sure that Asians weren’t allowed to be ‘Americans’ by passing laws over hundreds of years preventing Asians from gaining citizenship, even when they met the same criteria as Europeans, and then claiming they weren’t ‘American’ enough and also not **human** enough to deserve the same rights as others.

It is precisely through the ‘softening’ of America that we are now a less racist country. Empathy, kindness, openness, love. These are all ‘soft’ and we are better for it. Where we must remain ‘hard’ is in our steadfastness to work towards justice and continually improve ourselves.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:42 PM

240 posts, read 192,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
The best outcomes from events like these is to remember them, understand the context and work towards compensating those who were wronged and putting in place protections so the same things cannot happen again.

The reason Americans justified these actions is by actively working to make sure that Asians weren’t allowed to be ‘Americans’ by passing laws over hundreds of years preventing Asians from gaining citizenship, even when they met the same criteria as Europeans, and then claiming they weren’t ‘American’ enough and also not **human** enough to deserve the same rights as others.

It is precisely through the ‘softening’ of America that we are now a less racist country. Empathy, kindness, openness, love. These are all ‘soft’ and we are better for it. Where we must remain ‘hard’ is in our steadfastness to work towards justice and continually improve ourselves.
You are exactly right.

Sharing a personal experience as an American citizen of south-asian origin. Few years back I was visiting another country with couple of my european-american friends. We needed to get to the embassy after hours due to an emergency. Security allowed both of them to enter with a cursory look at the passport. They kept me waiting for an hour or so to "check/validate" the passport, before letting me in. When I asked why I was kept waiting while the others were allowed to enter right away, the response was "they are real Americans, so we didn't need to do additional validation". Point to note, one my friend is also an immigrant from England.

Going back to the original topic. I completely understand that the attack on Pearl Harbor was brutal and thousands of lives were lost-- it's a war time situation. But putting every American citizens of Japanese origin in internment camp is not the solution. If that really solved the problem, then all Americans of German and Italian ancestry should have also been put on camps first. Afterall, it is easier to be a spy if you can blend in better..

Old 01-23-2022, 12:41 PM

6,296 posts, read 6,938,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquetraveler View Post

Sharing a personal experience as an American citizen of south-asian origin. Few years back I was visiting another country with couple of my european-american friends. We needed to get to the embassy after hours due to an emergency. Security allowed both of them to enter with a cursory look at the passport. They kept me waiting for an hour or so to "check/validate" the passport, before letting me in. When I asked why I was kept waiting while the others were allowed to enter right away, the response was "they are real Americans, so we didn't need to do additional validation". Point to note, one my friend is also an immigrant from England.
Where were you born?? What country were you visiting?? I agree with you that statement was unnecessary.

BUT for years under the Obama Administration I was stopped at EVERY border crossing and checked out.

One time, crossing with my five white, born in America friends they gathered all the passports and then loudly announced we want to see the Venezuelan. Poor choice of words.

But Obama issued a executive order detaining Venezuelan's at the border and that translated to me getting stopped at the border EVERY time. BTW...I am also white just like my friends.

It did tone down when I got my bio-metric passport. Not sure what's on it, but when I die I am taking it to show to St. Peter.

Almost forgot, Social Security Administration initially refused to give me Social Security, because THEIR computers showed me as a foreign national.

It is a hassel, not being a native born American, but I still treasure that blue passport.

Do you want to hear my stories about crossing the border into the former Soviet Union and later Russia??

Old 01-23-2022, 01:53 PM

240 posts, read 192,557 times
^^^ My parents are from south Asia (Indian subcontinent),but born in Canada before moving to US during my undergrad days. Also, the incident was not at the border/port of entry, we were backpacking in south east asia (Thailand) and needed to get to the embassy after hours for an urgent issue.

I love being American, so many opportunities and places to visit, it is amazing. I wouldn't trade any other citizenship. But we should have the right to share opinion and ideas to make the place even better.

Asian americans are in somewhat unique situation, we are not part of the majority (european americans), but we are not considered minority (african americans, hispanics) in terms of benefits either. When applying for college and jobs, sometimes there is special quota for minorities, but asians don't fall into that bucket. European americans, being the majority, does not get preferential treatment but at least they have a huge community and cultural capital that works in their favor. Recently, there is a trend to add "Diversity and Equity" role in HR across many companies in US, but one will hardly ever find asians in those positions, they are all african americans or hispanic.

As a result, we have been sidelined for decades. When WW-II happened, all Japanese americans were put on internment camps but very few German and Italian americans had to face it. After 9/11, south asian americans (India, Pakistan etc.), were made to register and tracked as part of special homeland security provision, after recent coronavirus spread, east asian americans (Chinese, Vietnamese) were attacked all over country. But the asian communities never went breaking public properties or creating civic unrest to protest. We keep focused on trying to get a good education, start a business etc. and move on with life--- but sometimes this bias does get a bit frustrating.

Last edited by uniquetraveler; 01-23-2022 at 02:06 PM..

Old 01-24-2022, 08:25 PM

6,296 posts, read 6,938,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquetraveler View Post
^^^ My parents are from south Asia (Indian subcontinent),but born in Canada before moving to US during my undergrad days. Also, the incident was not at the border/port of entry, we were backpacking in south east asia (Thailand) and needed to get to the embassy after hours for an urgent issue.

I love being American, so many opportunities and places to visit, it is amazing. I wouldn't trade any other citizenship. But we should have the right to share opinion and ideas to make the place even better.

Asian americans are in somewhat unique situation, we are not part of the majority (european americans), but we are not considered minority (african americans, hispanics) in terms of benefits either. When applying for college and jobs, sometimes there is special quota for minorities, but asians don't fall into that bucket. European americans, being the majority, does not get preferential treatment but at least they have a huge community and cultural capital that works in their favor. Recently, there is a trend to add "Diversity and Equity" role in HR across many companies in US, but one will hardly ever find asians in those positions, they are all african americans or hispanic.

As a result, we have been sidelined for decades. When WW-II happened, all Japanese americans were put on internment camps but very few German and Italian americans had to face it. After 9/11, south asian americans (India, Pakistan etc.), were made to register and tracked as part of special homeland security provision, after recent coronavirus spread, east asian americans (Chinese, Vietnamese) were attacked all over country. But the asian communities never went breaking public properties or creating civic unrest to protest. We keep focused on trying to get a good education, start a business etc. and move on with life--- but sometimes this bias does get a bit frustrating.
Yeah, I hear you. I was not a Latino...even though I was born there and ONLY had a Venezuelan passport, was dirt poor, but had a European name. That European name was enough for HR to pass on preference. I can tell you SO many stories. But rich folks, they did get preference for having blue eyes, blond hair, and a Latino name, on their AMERICAN passport.

Don't worry it is more than Asian's that get the shaft with Affirmative Action. It is really just a device to favor "favorite" people.

Which is why Senator Elizabeth Warren is a American Indian in the eyes of Harvard or Yale.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:44 PM

362 posts, read 585,820 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysta...nternment_Camp germans and italins too

not Finns?

Old 02-14-2022, 08:47 PM

362 posts, read 585,820 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12vLQS4bAfU&t=37s

german kid arrested
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area