Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 06:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times

Advertisements

I will link a provocative article from the Atlantic here. (apologies if you can't access, as it is subscription)

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...arings/602188/

True, the 737-MAX is a Renton (Seattle area) based product, but the article explores how the general culture has changed with jobs moving to other States over the past couple of decades. Missouri, California, and South Carolina have the largest Boeing employment after Washington. And, of course, Chicago is the company HQ's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 08:23 PM

806 posts, read 604,155 times
How about all the vendors that make parts for the US Boeing contractors that are not even in the US. Seems like a complicated problem. With that said the stock seems to have a firm bottom at 320. Seems like it will hit it again shortly and then buy it.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Yep buy low. But this is perhaps Boeing’s biggest crisis since the failure of the SST in the late 60’s. I have said it before but Boeing is too big to fail. One way or another they will eventually get out of this mess.

Old 12-21-2019, 01:04 AM

8,070 posts, read 8,362,552 times
It is a bean counter's debacle. They built a FrankenPlane that at best is barely airworthy. If the engineers, who've been an afterthought up until now, can't make it safe, the smart thing would be to scrap it and start over, but, of course, that will never happen. No, they'll jerry-rig it, with a fix of a fix of a fix, to somehow pass FAA muster, then live in fear that it will crash again...

I wouldn't fly on it.

Old 12-21-2019, 01:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Boeing is not unique with it's problems. (There are many).

Those of us who have spent the last 40 yr in high tech / or high precision manf have witnessed many companies becoming driven to please the shareholders at the expense of the very skillset, quality, and value (s) that grew the company to success.

Add the new generation of managers and leadership who did not grow up through the company / building skills, having actual manufacturing experience and responsibilities. (no one likes to get their hands dirty in last 10+ yrs), So the results = Out of Touch management, listening to the incessant barking of the investors / financial performance at the expense of core contributions.

Newer managers are very intimidated to have employees who may actually know something / content that could lead to a liability of knowledge. It is much easier to plead "We didn't know about that risk!". Common comment from managers; "I don't want anyone with gray hair in my department!". Millions of dollars in training and hundreds of thousands of hours of experience walk out the door everyday, never to be replaced.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:59 AM

3,689 posts, read 2,410,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
It is a bean counter's debacle. They built a FrankenPlane that at best is barely airworthy. If the engineers, who've been an afterthought up until now, can't make it safe, the smart thing would be to scrap it and start over, but, of course, that will never happen. No, they'll jerry-rig it, with a fix of a fix of a fix, to somehow pass FAA muster, then live in fear that it will crash again...

I wouldn't fly on it.
Hell no, I wouldn't!

Old 12-21-2019, 08:58 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post

I wouldn't fly on it.
I'm not an aviation expert but it really seems strange that you would take a design that was so airworthy and then alter it in such a way that it goes from aerodynamically balanced to the opposite. A passenger airplane is not a helicopter. Helicopters are designed to be stable/balanced in the air and you get movement, motion ECT by disrupting that balance. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

They redesigned that airframe and put larger engines on it, creating an aerodynamically imbalanced airframe and left the problem created to be remedied by a computer system.

I'm just a mechanic, HVAC tech and electrician so I may be mistaken about some things but you sure as hell will never find me on one of those planes.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:39 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,079,566 times
I think the Atlantic article has some validity; I and my whole family worked at Douglas in southern California in the bad old days before the McDonnell and Boeing takeovers, and everybody I knew then knew that Stonecipher was an arrogant a-hole.

But honestly, trying to make the 20-year bridge between Boeing moving its HQ to Chicago and the engineering and operational failures that grounded the MAX is - well, poppycock.

By all means one can point to a culture of profit-over-safety as a key element in this fiasco, but to state that the airframe and basic characteristics of the 737NG line makes for unsafe aircraft is rubbish. The crashes were related to bad software and even worse training, and to make matters much, much worse, Boeing embarked on a pattern of understatement and cover-up from the cowards on Mahogany Row. A world press that focuses on wrongdoing and executive f-ups (political and business both) for its daily bread had a gimme with Boeing's attitude. Nothing to see here, folks, move along. Right, as if.

Boeing has been caught with its pants down, not because they aren't capable of resolving the MCAS and flight control issues, but because by consistently understating the gravity of the issue. It's also exposed the FAA's buddy-buddy relationship with Boeing's senior management (which led to self-policing by Boeing that was rife for abuse.) So when something else is found wrong during the fixit stage, and the press gets hold of it, it looks for all the world like everything is wrong. This leads to things like the statements in this thread that the whole 737 line should be scrapped, or "I'll never fly that plane again."

Speech is free, of course, but to me it discounts the thousands and thousands of hours, spent by thousands of engineers and technicians, each of whom has a family they don't want to die in fiery crashes - trying to fix these issues. I have trust that the FAA and the senior engineering and QC people at Boeing and their vendors are going to be nothing short of mental in making sure the MAX is safe before they allow one more revenue seat mile to be logged.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:54 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,032 times
One word: Muilenburg

Aka the teflon don of aerospace

Old 12-21-2019, 07:40 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,362,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Speech is free, of course, but to me it discounts the thousands and thousands of hours, spent by thousands of engineers and technicians, each of whom has a family they don't want to die in fiery crashes - trying to fix these issues. I have trust that the FAA and the senior engineering and QC people at Boeing and their vendors are going to be nothing short of mental in making sure the MAX is safe before they allow one more revenue seat mile to be logged.
I said, "If the engineers, who've been an afterthought up until now, can't make it safe...", not that they couldn't. Whether they will remains to be seen. I do think it is basically a "FrankenPlane", driven by marketing and cost-saving, over engineering.

The FAA is taking its own sweet time. If they approve Boeing's fix, and it crashes again due to faulty software, it'll ruin their reputation, or what little is left of it. And more than just FAA-approval will be required for it to be able to fly internationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area