Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 10:12 AM

25 posts, read 44,201 times

Advertisements

I am surprised this is not a repeat topic, but didn't find much...

I just completed a final interview and want to begin for what I hope to be a new career or at least salary negotiations.

To give you an idea what we are used to...we have a 1700 sq ft vintage SFH in Mount Prospect, IL (Chicago suburbs) with 4 bed and 3 bath. I'd be willing to give up a bathroom and move to a similar sized townhome, but otherwise not willing to give up on much else.

Can you help guide me in where to find affordable housing within a 30-40 min drive or 1 hour using shuttle/public transit? In looking at cities I've been recommended (sammamosh, Isaquash) there seems to be little under $1M. I was thinking prices would be a bit more than Chicago but obviously my information is dated.

I'd like to stay under 500k but that seems completely unreasonable.

Sidebar question: my family loves to play in the water outdoors. Temps don't seem to make that feasible in Seattle. Do you have any substitutes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 11:30 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,618,404 times
You are going to have to accommodate more or raise your budget to stay in Issaquah or Sammamish.

We have few outdoor water parks. There is one in Federal Way. A few communities, including Sammamish, have indoor pools with slides, but they are underwhelming. We also have a Great Wolf Lodge outside of Centralia.

Local lakes are popular in the summer. Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish have several beaches and docks. I personally liked to take my kids to Vasa Park on Lake Sammamish when my kids were younger.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:10 PM

12,976 posts, read 7,357,864 times
Interview a RE agent. Find a RE agent that has been in the business a while, in the Seattle metro area, has done recent transactions. Your RE agent needs to be aware that you may be renting for the first year. Be aware that home sales may appear to be slow but this is because the availability of homes is very low.

No income tax in WA. But property taxes and user taxes are increasing to improve and expand infrastructure. This is a good thing.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:40 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,295,423 times
Look at Snoqualmie, Fall City, Carnation, and Duvall.

For instance (in Snohomish, but nearer Duvall):

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...38460023_zpid/

Old 01-12-2020, 02:39 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,184,773 times
Under 500k in a nice area and ONLY a 30-40min/1 hr commute? Sorry, wrong part of the country

Old 01-12-2020, 02:44 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,619,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Under 500k in a nice area and ONLY a 30-40min/1 hr commute? Sorry, wrong part of the country
True but they could try Renton.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Renton/481...home/169637613

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Renton/525...57/home/342903

Old 01-12-2020, 03:58 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,211,958 times
I’d look East or North, a smaller home in a place like Snohomish could work.

Old 01-12-2020, 04:00 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,619,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I’d look East or North, a smaller home in a place like Snohomish could work.
Might want to test commute times before making that recommendation. That would require 5 to 405 to 520. Hwy 9 is no better.

Old 01-12-2020, 04:12 PM

1,348 posts, read 696,794 times
housing is insane here way overpriced

Old 01-12-2020, 08:48 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,089,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfoutz View Post
I am surprised this is not a repeat topic, but didn't find much...

I just completed a final interview and want to begin for what I hope to be a new career or at least salary negotiations.

To give you an idea what we are used to...we have a 1700 sq ft vintage SFH in Mount Prospect, IL (Chicago suburbs) with 4 bed and 3 bath. I'd be willing to give up a bathroom and move to a similar sized townhome, but otherwise not willing to give up on much else.

Can you help guide me in where to find affordable housing within a 30-40 min drive or 1 hour using shuttle/public transit? In looking at cities I've been recommended (sammamosh, Isaquash) there seems to be little under $1M. I was thinking prices would be a bit more than Chicago but obviously my information is dated.

I'd like to stay under 500k but that seems completely unreasonable.

Sidebar question: my family loves to play in the water outdoors. Temps don't seem to make that feasible in Seattle. Do you have any substitutes?
Good luck with Microsoft. I've worked for them. Made more as a subject matter expert through third party, though. Anymore I work for a major hospital system out here, but may see what's what with the Empire next few months as I know they well and how things get done there. It's different.

My house is 1900 sq ft in Kirkland, nicer part, cakewalk commute to Microsoft and most Eastside. Seattle is tolerable via bus (hour each way), good as it will get here by-far. That, and the top rated schools, plus non-scummy neighborhood has median prices up around 1.2M. They should have told you that Square 1.

I bought a peice of nice used exercise equipment from a early 30s couple w/child in Wedgwood, part of Seattle adjecent to Ravenna. I hadn't been there before. The construction is new, I'm guessing 1,300 sq ft on a narrow but deep and tri-level (like a townhome). Zillow had it at $775K, which I thought was "reasonable" in a psychotic sort of way for this place. I'd live there if I mostly worked in the city. I'd be real cognizant of mass transit location.

Guess you're going to get 3/4 as much in greater Seattle, if that. Eastside, forget it because Bellevue is even more, possibly "the" place to live though I think Redmond and Issaquah have their charms, too.

You're closer in than Schaumberg, the place I'm most familiar with in Chicagoland. Traveled there a lot '17-18 plus went to college couple hours east, and best friend's family was there. The mass transit options are better in Chicago. I've seldom seen such mayhem as the 90 during rush hour there, though in off hours nothing like a 6-8 lane highway that is lightly traveled. Odd place to me. There is no comparing Chicagoland to Seattle, you'll just have to experience this place and decide if you can deal with it. I make serious coin out here and couldn't be dragged away for next ten years or so due to immense quality of life, lack of dirtbags lurching the streets Eastside, and copious water. The heinous winter weather becomes your dreary reality, so join a gym or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area